Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2415 2416 [2417] 2418 2419 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094992 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36240 on: July 31, 2014, 08:17:17 am »

Greymetals got off to a good start.  Decent area, rocky hills/scarps with a forest below, tetra/galena/cassiterite for bronze, lots of treeses for charcoalses.  Freshwater lake for water.

Got two waves of migrants, fort was up to 14 beards.  Things going well.  Drilled in looking for gold, since second year's caravan needs to leave all their food, booze, cheese and laying birds so I can get on with the metals industry.  Unexpectedly broke through the roof of the first cavern.

Told the mason to make a hatch cover, found the gold, and literally before Urist could get back to the mason shop, **8 TROGLODYTES** poured into the fort and wiped out everyone.  From... I guess spidermanning across the ceiling of the cave to the hole.

Your fort has crumbled to its end.  Gah.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36241 on: July 31, 2014, 09:34:15 am »

Decided to grow a pair and breach the caves. Just got a praise the miners.
Now I'm not sure whether I should face the fun or seal it and start playing with aquifers(the reason I picked this embark in the first place).

The caves seem completely boring anyway. I remember last time I breached them I had GCSes all over the place.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36242 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:54 am »

I got my very first dwarf stuck up in a tree, unable to path down, since I started this fort 13 dwarf years ago in 40.04 (updated save to 40.05).
Fortunatly, cutting down the tree brought him down unharmed, the lucky bastard.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36243 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:23 am »

Got migrants. A buncha random people and a peasant.
I put the peasant in the military.
Check the military screen later and said peasant is completely gone from the entire screen but still on the map and a citizen.
uwotdf

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36244 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:01 am »

The liaison arrived and brought me news of the world.

... So you mean that months ago a whole bunch of mini-factions  i never heard about fled the area from the arrival of the Complex Ruthlessness army that i have never head about ?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36245 on: July 31, 2014, 11:24:44 am »

... So you mean that months ago a whole bunch of mini-factions  i never heard about fled the area from the arrival of the Complex Ruthlessness army that i have never head about ?
My liaison just told me that someone became a mayor of some random place.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36246 on: July 31, 2014, 12:42:56 pm »

After about 5 years of no goblin sightings of any sort except for a very early 5 Goblin ambush that got scared away by a wild Honey Badger, and even the liaison only telling me that the world stays the same, I decided to make a backup and check legends mode to see what was up.

Apparently over these last few years the Goblin civ that my previously destroyed civ was at war with has been cut down to only 6 Goblins...

I guess it's time to start digging deeper and find something for my military to actually fight.

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36247 on: July 31, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »

I created a world with advanced parameters, and the min and max temperatures were both set to -1000. This means that all dead organic material on the surface nearly instantly freezes, shattering into oblivion. Dwarves and basically all living creatures die within minutes of severe frostbite of the EVERYTHING. We have inhabited the caverns, which happened to be only 7 or so z-levels from the frozen surface. All three levels of caverns have been breached and the magma sea has been found. Two adamantine spires are known, but one was mostly unsalvagable as it is a direct spire into hell from 30 levels up. I hope that the next will be more fruitful, as 25 adamantine wafers don't go very far.
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

ribby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36248 on: July 31, 2014, 02:46:52 pm »

Troglodytes seem a lot weaker- I have foolishly decided that everyone is going to live in the caverns which means we run into a lot of them. However we can usually drive them away it seems and so far there haven't been any casualties, just a broken hand to one dwarf, a few cracked ribs for another and a dog with broken toes. They can't seem to kill anything by repeated head-punches anymore. Seriously, a few of them broke a dogs toes so it passed out then whaled on it for ages to little effect. Then they passed out from exertion, the dog woke up and mauled them to death!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36249 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »

My liaison just told me that someone became a mayor of some random place.
My Liaison keeps telling me about all the places one single army keeps conquering.  :o
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36250 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »

Troglodytes seem a lot weaker- I have foolishly decided that everyone is going to live in the caverns which means we run into a lot of them. However we can usually drive them away it seems and so far there haven't been any casualties, just a broken hand to one dwarf, a few cracked ribs for another and a dog with broken toes. They can't seem to kill anything by repeated head-punches anymore. Seriously, a few of them broke a dogs toes so it passed out then whaled on it for ages to little effect. Then they passed out from exertion, the dog woke up and mauled them to death!

The ones that wiped out my fort last night were bad-ass.  Maybe it varies?  Then again, I had no military dwarves at all, so they managed to kill a few of them but 8 showed up at once.  Maybe it was just the dogpile that killed them.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36251 on: July 31, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »

Thought this was amusing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36252 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:03 pm »

Mummy ate my dwarves.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36253 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »

Settled my fort Cakeshot somewhere with at least a dozen towers as neighbors. Plus, my civ is at war with elves. From the beginning, I can't get the population over 14. A small rundown:
1st try - Everything started fine, the first wave of migrants came and soon after, a small siege of undead elven soldiers. The siege lasted a whole year, to my luck they never moved closer to the main entrance. I've took the time to put up some walls, but with only 14 dwarves also taking care of food in general, things were slow.
A short while after the siege was lifted, the zombies began walking aimlessly. Soon after, a dwarven caravan arrived with no liaison (guess the civ is nearly dead) and the zombies somehow managed to start attacking them and my dwarves.
As if that wasn't bad enough for me, a new undead siege came soon after. Horrified dwarves fleeing the safety of the inside, climbing up trees as if they were monkeys and running straight towards zombies ended with my fort crumbling a first time.
2nd try - Brought extra booze this time around, since the old fort had quite some food. Reclaimed everything, stockpiled food and noticed a strange bug/glitch that showed an alert for each of the old 7 original dwarves in pink, but only their names. One rose as a ghost and that was it. A few seconds before summer, came the first siege, this time goblins. They went straight to one of the walled entrances and mostly fell to my cage traps. Though one remained at the border, unmoving, the siege went on until mid-autumn. To my relief, sometime after the siege ended, my first wave of immigrants arrived.
In the meantime, I decided to try and cage all goblins in a single built cage. Single biggest mistake fun. As one dwarf approached the cage, the goblin somehow managed to shoot his arrows, hitting my manager/broker/bookkeeper and a metalsmith. Chaos erupted as these mangled-yet-still-alive sods started wandering back and fort near my main stairs, horrifying other dwarves, canceling all kinds of jobs. I set up a militia and attacked the goblin, killing it. Soon, I've found 3 dwarves up in trees, not wanting to climb down (one of them going as far as "Attending meeting" high up in a tree with nobody, he came down during a tantrum and went back to tree to the "meeting").

As I write this, they're enduring another siege that will last a while because a goblin doesn't move from the border. Only 5 are alive but at least all of them can work. But I know that sooner or later, they will fall. They will spend most of their time creating more traps, to ensure the next generation will be properly protected within the walls of Cöskeskal, the Cakeshot fort.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36254 on: July 31, 2014, 03:46:11 pm »

setting marksdwarves to active/training actually lets them train at the archery range!

this is the greatest release ever.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2415 2416 [2417] 2418 2419 ... 3842