Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2403 2404 [2405] 2406 2407 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972428 times)

DrLambda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36060 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:29 pm »

So, I've started to play Dwarf Fortress only about a week ago, after delving deep into the wiki. I'm still playing the very first fort, which is now 11 years old. It just seems that i accidently chose a very easy spot to settle. The first underground cavern is 130 z-levels deep, and i've been able to easily kill and trap all those 100-goblin sieges that came along.

In the third year, i was attacked by a titan made out of black opal, throwing webs all over the completely featureless overworld (ok, there is a river, but there isn't even as much as a hill out there.) My fort only had like 50 dwarves at that moment, and i had no idea what to do. I drafted 20 dwarves into a makeshift militia and ordered it to attack the titan, which at that point had already killed 4 dwarves. As i had close to no weapons, those 20 dorfs started wrestling the opal titan, who, as i found out, had no problem stepping through the moat i created with the minimal knowledge i had. The battle reports came in, 2 more dwarves going down, but one of them somehow managed to bite the opal big toe off the titan. But all those bone bolts i have been crafting because i had no idea what else to do with the bones really came in handy when a series of lucky hits from my hunters were actually able to take down the titan. The last hit that caused the titan to go down was an masterfully crafted emu bone bolt by a brave hunter, who was from there on known as Ducim "Titan Slayer" Glazetwists, the Carnal Justice. He became the militia commander soon afterwards, nowadays being a legendary archer and marksdwarf.

Only a month later, we were attacked by a Werehorse. A short visit to the legends mode (yeah, with backups, call me cheap) revealed that probably about 2 percent of all living inhabitants of my world are werehorses at the moment. A longer visit to the legends mode revealed that the werehorse that attacked me was my former king and daddy of all the werehorses in the world. My militia was still active, so they tried to wrestle it to death. He took one of them down before changing back to his dwarven form, where he was quickly bitten to death by 17 rabid dwarves.

After i found out how the military and defense worked, only two dwarves living in my fort died in the last 5 years. I had to atom smash some caged dwarven werehorses, but those don't really count. One was my legendary cook, who died from a failed death pit experiment. No, he wasn't killed by the disarmed goblins and trolls. While trying to help, he accidently hit one of my Mace Lords with something (the reports aren't very clear on that) an the Mace Lord decided that clubbing his head into his upper body was the correct response to that.

At least i have to say that my new, 30 z-levels deep pit of doom with platinum floor is very good at killing caged goblins. I threw 150 of them down there in a single night. One of my dwarves even decided to create an artifact to remember this moment, which fittingly is a beautiful goblin bone weapon rack.

The second one died just a few minutes ago. He decided that it was a good idea to help the hunters in the caverns below and carry a corpse to the surface. The corpse he chose to carry was a crundle, which died just at the edge of the map. As soon as he picked it up, a Jabberer wandered onto the map right next to him, and within a nanosecond ripped his head clear off in his first attack. At this time, i wasn't even looking at the caverns, so i had no idea before the report came in that he was found dead deep below. I instantly switched down into the cave, but all i found next to him was a dead Jabberer, killed within a few seconds by noone other than the Ducim, the Titan Slayer, who decided to use his free time to hunt some subterranean creatures. Guess he just saw that giant thing and thought "Yup, seems reasonable to just kill it alone before the cavallery comes in." He then decided to slaughter a nearby troll and a herd of elk birds while someone else hauled the dead Jabberer up those 130 z-levels.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36061 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:52 pm »

I started a new fort, and now have a military in full copper armor, which won't be a problem if they get high enough skills, the problem is the second dwarf in my military is 149 years old, meaning he could die anytime from next year to 30 years after that. O.o he's a ticking time bomb he could potentially drop dead while running into battle! I find this amusing.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36062 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:10 pm »

Some lunatic is making an artifact out of a red squirrel corpse and a dead frog oO

ETA: Poempoison the Terrible Creep is a green tree frog bone earring. On the item is an image of two copperhead snake men in green tree frog bone. On the item is an image of a narrow crescent in red squirrel bone.

It's only worth 3600, but the amusement value is huge.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:36:21 pm by GuesssWho »
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36063 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »

The cavys are dropping, but the dwarves are not reacting.
This is getting frustrating. Death is all around the dwarves even though it's not the new version, and they still can't see it !

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36064 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:22 am »

One of my dwarfs was recently elected the first mayor of the fort and she does not care about friendship one bit so everyone is either at friendly terms or an acquaintance.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36065 on: July 24, 2014, 01:22:15 am »

The cavys are dropping,

You complete and utter monster.

(Cavies have a life expectancy of something like three years. Let them die of old age, that's just as traumatic to dwarfs.)

It seems the discipline mechanism has cranked up the sociopathy level in the player base again.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36066 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:21 am »

i decided to give reclaiming anther go this time i auctualy have some trees and plants no water though so ive ordered a pit built for now but at the moment everybody’s carting shit my stills built and a few other things are awaiting building
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36067 on: July 24, 2014, 01:43:34 am »

Planning begins for my First Mini-Mega Project. It involves much magma.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36068 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:33 am »

The cavys are dropping,

You complete and utter monster.

(Cavies have a life expectancy of something like three years. Let them die of old age, that's just as traumatic to dwarfs.)

It seems the discipline mechanism has cranked up the sociopathy level in the player base again.

Cranked it up? If anything, it has been this high with some people in 34. trying to traumatize the entire population of the fort when they were trying to attempt something big and didn't want a tantrum spiral with no one giving a big thought on something like a friend/pet/sibling/etc. dying during the fort's existence.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36069 on: July 24, 2014, 01:57:05 am »

well i fell to a very early ambush it seems the goblins hit a heap of my civs forts at once has anybody tried digging out the inside of the spiral staircase ramp thingy yet im going to give that a try

EpicOrange

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36070 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:55 am »

My embark appears to have some strange structure on it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone know what this is? I've sent a dwarf there and there was no one inside.

Note: I embarked next to a human town.
¼╚ O ⌂▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼███████
▼¼ë ¼ · ·  ·  ·  · ▒▒▒▒ ² ²█▐▀ \ ☺ó
· ë ·  · ═ « ▒▒  , ` U ▒▒ ╬◄═« ·  ·
· ·  ·  ë ·  ·  ·  · ·  ·  · ▒▒▒▒ █▐▄/  · ·
· ·  ·  ·  ·  · ·  ·  ·  · O ·  · ▒ ████ ==

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36071 on: July 24, 2014, 02:19:58 am »

My embark appears to have some strange structure on it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone know what this is? I've sent a dwarf there and there was no one inside.

Note: I embarked next to a human town.

thats just a tent if they behave like they do in adventure mode it will be gone soon

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36072 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:21 am »

In the year 325, a group of seven dwarves began rebuilding dwarven civilization.
Before the founding of Granitegorge by The Machine of Onslaught, The Abbey of Mastery was nearly extinguished by the same goblins that destroyed the elves - human bandits also had a hand in this, as two hillocks are occupied by humans.
The queen, a soapmaker, is presumed to be in a camp outside the boundaries.
Granitegorge is far enough away from the goblins to be mainly a target for banditry, not the never-ending war that began.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36073 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »

Years 84. After 4 years of existance the overseer discovers a Forgotten Beast has gone 'missing'. Clearly having to be somewhere in the unexplored parts of the watery filled caverns, the miners are dispatched to do more exploration and reveal the remaining area of the Caverns.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36074 on: July 24, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »

"Your settlement has crumbled to its end" :'(
Pages: 1 ... 2403 2404 [2405] 2406 2407 ... 3839