Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2402 2403 [2404] 2405 2406 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972469 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36045 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »

My fort is going to die a long, slow death by noble. The only thing I can do about it is to make it faster.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36046 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:54 pm »

For once the fortress guard is doing thier jobs, gathering up punch happy dwarves and stuffing them in mass holding for their beatings with sticks or jail time. I had to replace the mayor for a short time after she was incapacitated by a child throwing a fit. We have at least one murder pending as a child murdered one fo the founders in cold blood just because she was upset about her friend dying.

Oh and one of the engravers has begun to stalk and brood...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36047 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »

Reclaimed the ruined fort of a dead civilization, it has been dead for the last 125 years or so and the king and other nobles are either murdered or non-existant.

First day of summer, a roving band of vagrants invades me, with basic copper gear (the horrors!) still being produced, and only the starting 7 dwarves milling about the compound.

Damn.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it seems to be a siege of goblins from the nearby at-war civ, and a few dwarves who had been taken as children. Got the entrance walled off while they were distracted by our yaks, so we are safe for now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:27:06 pm by Lich180 »

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36048 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:30 pm »

Well, with the dawn of multi-level trees I decided to take on the task of building an above ground fort, completed almost entirely from wood. I started with a 5x5 shaft with stairs in the center and at each corner with doorways on each wall. This shoots straight up a total of 16z-levels with the meeting hall and housing for worker dwarves around z7-11, workshops at z5 with stockpiles above. Military is quartered at the base of the tree fort, with a squad of 10 militia and a squad of 10 marksmen (still trying to get them training consistently).

The best part of it is that I have started work on a flooding mechanism to be controlled by the leader of this beauty. Since I am on an aquifer I have set it up to pump water up to z13, with z12 having piping to the room of every dwarf, which can be opened by a lever in my nobles quarters. The nobles quarters are at z14-16, oh and they are currently made of pure gold, furniture of gold as well.

All in all its rather dwarfy in my opinion, albeit above ground dwarfyness!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:43:39 pm by backlands »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36049 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:23 pm »

I've decided to retire this damned place. The children keep punching people with at least one case being fatal and are apparently exempt from justice. Also there is apparently a good thought associated with enforcing the law: "Was happy [that a family member/to have] received justice lately, possibly indicating if they are an injured party or family to them, they now get a good thought from the criminal getting their comeuppance.

The moody dwarf took a horse skull and two bugbat skulls (we can remove that verify from macabre moods wanting skulls on the wiki now guys) with some donkey leather and made The hatred of Venoms, a bugbat bone pick. They have a militia, they have a fortress guard. Time for me to find more externally violent pastures.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #36050 on: July 23, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »

I had to expand the bedrooms to make room for more migrants (yay), my king is getting increasingly sadder (oh well), several dwarves climbed down into the caverns and are stuck (shit), and my metalcrafter made a harp out of a single bar of tin.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36051 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »

Hrmmm... I'm torn between wanting to embark on an evil glacier to try and tame ice wolves (I've modded them accordingly, as well as made them fearless and trainable for battle so they should fight like the war beasts of old,) And settling further north where all the fighting is apparently ongoing.

A coin toss however, sets me down the path of the ice wolf. It will be done.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36052 on: July 23, 2014, 03:20:33 pm »

things continue in my fortress the population has exceeded 50 and I have had 6 migrant waves so far (where in the hell are they coming from my civilization is dead) my militia commander is nearing legendary skill with the sword, I must prepare the greatest of tombs for him made with the finest of tin. I might even try and see if I can flood it with magma. that will be very fun indeed.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36053 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »

things continue in my fortress the population has exceeded 50 and I have had 6 migrant waves so far (where in the hell are they coming from my civilization is dead) my militia commander is nearing legendary skill with the sword, I must prepare the greatest of tombs for him made with the finest of tin. I might even try and see if I can flood it with magma. that will be very fun indeed.

Maybe put him around or in view of an arena? That way, it can act less like military training, and more like sacrificial duels.  :)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36054 on: July 23, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »

I'm flooring the outside of my wall with Cobaltite, the idea being that if I can knock down climbers then the hard landing will help ensure they don't get back up. Naturally this will be supplemented with an absurdly high wall and lots of crossbowdwarf-bunkers along the interior. Assuming I can last long enough to start on that, anyway.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36055 on: July 23, 2014, 04:30:01 pm »

My -1- year old dwarf entered a fey mood and wants to make an artifact.. considering he grabbed bones first, I'm hoping for another legendary bone weapon.

In the meantime, as time passes by more and more of my currently 108 dwarf children out of a total population of 233 will become adults, and safe me from getting all these useless craft artifacts.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36056 on: July 23, 2014, 05:47:08 pm »

it seems that my fortress may be doomed to die by bugs. quite sad, quite sad indeed. I will miss thee Zulban Azzinathel. I will miss thee. he was best warrior I ever had. :c not a single negative trait did he have. in the end he was killed by bugs. it was inevitable. rip zulban I'll forget you within a few days
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36057 on: July 23, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »

it seems that my fortress may be doomed to die by bugs. quite sad, quite sad indeed. I will miss thee Zulban Azzinathel. I will miss thee. he was best warrior I ever had. :c not a single negative trait did he have. in the end he was killed by bugs. it was inevitable. rip zulban I'll forget you within a few days

What bugs?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36058 on: July 23, 2014, 06:11:14 pm »

What bugs?
c: I will never tell. but its already a known bug Hueheuheueheuehhueuhehe

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36059 on: July 23, 2014, 07:45:04 pm »

Husked giant thrips?
Pages: 1 ... 2402 2403 [2404] 2405 2406 ... 3839