Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2398 2399 [2400] 2401 2402 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098351 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35985 on: July 21, 2014, 09:46:38 pm »

I am getting fucking sick of Sive Lacechains and her tamed bobcats and the journey she was on when she tamed the bobcats. We only have several hundred figurines and another few hundred engravings.

I don't even know what she looked like because she's a twilight horror wife and I don't know what those are!
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

9Ball

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35986 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:47 pm »

At current, I have a fortress of which goal is to make doors and survive in a questionably hostile environment.

Seems simple, I have only had to suffer a necromancer (with a dwarf corpse that mysteriously vanished) that raised two falcons that my hammerdorf took care of.
Recently I have decided that elven envoys a crap and slayed them. A goblin soon appeared in my fort, friendly as can be as I caged her butt and stuck her next to the necromancer. Turns out she was a were-lizard. (CRISIS AVERTED)

But yes, I have a stockpile of doors, the Vault of Doors, which constantly gets filled and emptied by the season. My current goal: increase production now that I have more dwarves!

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35987 on: July 21, 2014, 10:35:12 pm »

I was still playing my 40.03 fort, the one with the longer than normal embark and a volcano.  The fort is actually really successful, the waterfall on the entrance to the great hall only leaks slightly, and the rest is pretty great.  I've not worried too much about optimizing labors, everything still got done anyway.

I've stopped to update to 40.04 though, since the lag got bad enough to make me want to.  It wasn't crawling or anything, but I could see where it started.  Guess there is some wisdom to heartlessly killing the cats you get.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35988 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »

I'm trying to get Ownrag to die already without completely making it die (i.e. letting out my dragon or hydra). Come to an end already! I'm still playing v.34, and now that it seems v.40.04 is pretty stable, I want to try it. But I don't want to give up on Ownrag. My hubby doesn't even play DF anymore, and he's got the new version downloaded and made himself a world (then we went to bed, so he hasn't tried it yet). So maybe I need to do something dwarfy - breach the caverns and face the 3 FBs there, or run headlong into the next siege sounds fun...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35989 on: July 21, 2014, 10:45:06 pm »

First time on an evil map. I was doing very well: had iron and flux, heavily wooded area, caverns only about 6-7 levels from the surface. Then a series of unfortunate events occurred:
1. I sent my only soldier, a crossbowman, to chase down a kobold who had stolen his crossbow. After a few punches the kobold dropped the crossbow, so I told him to stand down. He then runs from the kobold and climbs a tree, then jumps from the top of that tree across the stream to another tree and, predictably, falls to the ground, hurting his arm (although not badly). He is taken to his bed to rest.
2. My two yaks were about to starve, so I did what I usually do in that situation: I butcher them. It didn't cross my mind that I was in an evil region, with known reanimating effects.
Next thing I know, the fortress is terrorized by two yak skins while my military sleeps.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35990 on: July 21, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »

A deity in my world is called The Steel-Avalanche of Flames. He is he deity of volcanoes but is sadly depicted as a male hoary marmot and he looks offended in the figurine. 
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #35991 on: July 22, 2014, 12:00:26 am »

I'm trying to get Ownrag to die already without completely making it die (i.e. letting out my dragon or hydra). Come to an end already! I'm still playing v.34, and now that it seems v.40.04 is pretty stable, I want to try it. But I don't want to give up on Ownrag. My hubby doesn't even play DF anymore, and he's got the new version downloaded and made himself a world (then we went to bed, so he hasn't tried it yet). So maybe I need to do something dwarfy - breach the caverns and face the 3 FBs there, or run headlong into the next siege sounds fun...

Or go claim the adamantine sword somewhere on the map. That'll do the trick.

OT: It took the liason until the beginning of winter to arrive.

EDIT: Possessed dorf is just sitting in the meeting hall. Am I missing a workshop or something? Her only skills are weaver and clothier.
EDIT2: finished a clothier's shop and she literally sprinted to it. Neat.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:35:23 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35992 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:23 am »

Elves came to trade, bought some fruit and a second mahogany buckler and some spare barrels. then tried to offer them a masterwork apple wood bin cause I wanted them to leave and wanted them to leave now since our dealings were done and I wanted to be a little shit. I like to imagine the exchange went something like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35993 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:54 am »

Started a new fort.  Decided to use a desert volcano.  Had a grand idea to make the entrance to my fort go over the top of the volcano, just barely above the magma.  Then, when I was designating the floors to be built in order to make the bridge to the entrance side, where I had already had them build a retractable bridge.  The mason decided to be extra dwarfy, and build from the side of the bridge.  The side that would not be supported without floors from the far side already.

I only noticed his failure when it was too late, and I got the collapse message.  Followed quickly by the "You have discovered the Magma Sea" and "Raw Adamantine!  Praise the miners!"

I facepalmed, and stopped there.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #35994 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:30 am »

Reclaim and start again? I mean, tossing one dwarf into the magma sea to discover all of the adamantine on the map seems to be a fair trade. Or, yknow, doing the same thing with a kitten.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35995 on: July 22, 2014, 02:20:08 am »

Reclaim and start again? I mean, tossing one dwarf into the magma sea to discover all of the adamantine on the map seems to be a fair trade. Or, yknow, doing the same thing with a kitten.

I would do it with a kitten, but the one dwarf was my only mason, and I wasn't terribly fond of having someone pull double duty.  At any rate, it's late, I'm tired, and I didn't prepare carefully anyway.  No big loss, I've already abandoned, and I'll probably reclaim tomorrow.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35996 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:43 am »

Oh. Umm. Whelp this is... Weird

I didn't realize that previous historical figures who destroy fortress in world gen may remain in ruins <_< Or at least forbidden beasts do. I think its because they hide in one room and only way they are spotted if dwarfs go to that room

SO I guess I'm lucky that "Current Residents" don't move at all... I forbidden all doors to that room and now poisonous flying leech just stands there. Lucky that he didn't attack anyone. But yeah, no clue what to do with the leech, do I just wait till I have strong enough soldiers to kill it?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:40:48 am by MaskedMiner »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35997 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:11 am »

Cave-in trap. You might need a sacrificial lamb though.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35998 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:27 am »

I didn't realize that previous historical figures who destroy fortress in world gen may remain in ruins <_< Or at least forbidden beasts do. I think its because they hide in one room and only way they are spotted if dwarfs go to that room

SO I guess I'm lucky that "Current Residents" don't move at all... I forbidden all doors to that room and now poisonous flying leech just stands there. Lucky that he didn't attack anyone. But yeah, no clue what to do with the leech, do I just wait till I have strong enough soldiers to kill it?
I neglected to check the cause of death of a worldgen reclaim fortress, and ran into something similar. Wall him in and forget about him, I guess. If he doesn't have a gas or spit attack, you can fortification some walls and make it into a shooting range.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35999 on: July 22, 2014, 09:25:38 am »

I'm picturing a dwarf opening the door while exploring a ruin, seeing a, shambling primeval horror from the deep, and just slowly closing the door while the creature stared at her with its equivalent of eyes, and nonchalantly telling everyone that the room is out of limits.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 2398 2399 [2400] 2401 2402 ... 3842