Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2397 2398 [2399] 2400 2401 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097773 times)

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35970 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »

Half my goblin citizens have plans to take over the world. There's also a significant lack of wood (due to them being unable to chop down wood), so most of the fort's metal and defence production is sort of going downhill.

Palpatine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35971 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:06 pm »

Trees in .04 now drop branches that penetrate 3 z levels into the earth, killing random dwarves and stunning others from the "dust cloud o' doom".

Thinking new forts should be established in the rock layers to avoid... unpleasantness.

Also, trees grow stupid fast, and overpopulate their biomes.  EVERY area quickly becomes "Thick"-ly forested, regardless of what biome it starts as.

Does all this mean the elves have now successfully weaponised trees for use against dwarf forts?  :o

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35972 on: July 21, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »

Trees in .04 now drop branches that penetrate 3 z levels into the earth, killing random dwarves and stunning others from the "dust cloud o' doom".

Thinking new forts should be established in the rock layers to avoid... unpleasantness.

Also, trees grow stupid fast, and overpopulate their biomes.  EVERY area quickly becomes "Thick"-ly forested, regardless of what biome it starts as.

Does all this mean the elves have now successfully weaponised trees for use against dwarf forts?  :o

That would explain the road destroying 'collapses' I've been having...

Unsurprisingly, Medtob McMurdermachine has become an official spearmaster in record time. Cane here with Great level spear skill, so that was kind of expected. The militia trains diligently and one of them had a baby girl: Iton McHusbandpuncher. Said baby girl, byt the name of Ezum "dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world."

I then proceeded to laugh hysterically at my screen. Silly dorf, thinking she can do such a thing.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35973 on: July 21, 2014, 06:53:50 pm »

Said baby girl, byt the name of Ezum "dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world."

I then proceeded to laugh hysterically at my screen. Silly dorf, thinking she can do such a thing.

Draft her into the military when she's old enough, she can bring peace to the world one battle at a time.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35974 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:32 pm »

My hunter just WALKED over water. She crossed a 3 tile wide stream (not a brook, a real river).
She still has no dabbling swimmer listed amongst her skills, so she must have really walked on water.

Unfortunatly, she dropped her newly born baby as she walked over the water, and it drowned.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35975 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:37 pm »

I have made several forts in the artic regions in an attempt to find, capture and tame the mighty walrus.
The walruses seem to know of my plans and have decided to send hordes of flying birds/birdmen to keep themselves distant from me. D:
WHY WALRUSES WHY WONT YOU ACCEPT MY HATE FILLED EMBRACE! come and fill the bottomless void within my soul. D':
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35976 on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:56 pm »

My hunter just WALKED over water. She crossed a 3 tile wide stream (not a brook, a real river).
Whe still has no dabbling swimmer listed amongst her skills, so she must have really walked on water.

Unfortunatly, she dropped her newly born baby as she walked over the water, and it drowned.

If there was a tree next to the water it's more likely she climbed across monkey bars style and dropped her baby as she needed both hands.

Said baby girl, byt the name of Ezum "dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world."

Draft her into the military when she's old enough, she can bring peace to the world one battle at a time.

I just might do that, though I'll need to stick this out until a year or two past the world's third centennial.

I have made several forts in the artic regions in an attempt to find, capture and tame the mighty walrus.
The walruses seem to know of my plans and have decided to send hordes of flying birds/birdmen to keep themselves distant from me. D:
WHY WALRUSES WHY WONT YOU ACCEPT MY HATE FILLED EMBRACE! come and fill the bottomless void within my soul. D':

Step one: Check raws for thier biomes
Step two: Check the annoying birds' biomes
Step three: Find the one biome the walruses don't share with them or barring that, remove the birds from one or more biomes.
Step four: Gen a world, embark
Step five: Walrus season

-

I have found that this fortress is ruled by one clan: Clan Searchsteel. A large number of dwarves are desended from or married into the Searchsteel family, resulting in them practically owning the fortress. Hell, I think 4 out 8 militia members are Searchsteels. After them are the Lockedswords, which includes murderdorf Medtob, though in nowhere near as great numbers.

Engravers are smoothing out the water tank while masons pave over the water channel and build the bridge to prevent flooding. We're gonna need that hospital soon enough I'm sure.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35977 on: July 21, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »

Started up a fort with the intent to pump out some armor/weapons for future Adventure Mode use, then decided to see if I could bring a few Adventurers to the fort after retiring, to then be used as the military.

Five adventurers retired at the fort later I decide to go back into Fort Mode. Confused as to why the fort appears as a "RUIN" on the embark page I check legends mode. Only to find out some random Humans showed up and took control of the Fort...

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35978 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:23 pm »

Looking at civilizations in my v40.04 fort...
I gave my nobels a peek on a whim... of the nobles/rulers in my own civilzation is Kivish Laltureshtan, with role/profession listed as: baroness/Drunk

Might as well say baroness/Dwarf

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #35979 on: July 21, 2014, 08:39:11 pm »

Well, it's snowing blood, but otherwise nothing.

Somewhat related: can you tame ice wolves? And are wolves useful in combat (I know that they can't be trained for war) or just for providing compainionship that's worth a bit more if you eat it?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35980 on: July 21, 2014, 08:47:47 pm »

Started a new fort in a "tree safe" configuration.  Went the entire first year with no liaison, and no migrants.  Got an elven caravan in spring of the next year, still no word from the Mountainhomes.  My 7 dwarves are getting a little cray cray from being out in the woods all by themselves.  I wanted to breach the first caverns and farm down there but the family of 10 troglodytes convinced me that a no-militia entry to the caverns would soon result in a serious dwarf deficiency in my fort.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35981 on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:21 pm »

Somewhat related: can you tame ice wolves? And are wolves useful in combat (I know that they can't be trained for war) or just for providing compainionship that's worth a bit more if you eat it?
You can make anything trainable for war if you want, just type the tag [TRAINABLE] into any creature's raws. So for ice wolves just open creature_standard in either the game raws or the save raws, find ice wolves, then paste [TRAINABLE] in.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35982 on: July 21, 2014, 09:01:39 pm »

You can make anything trainable for war if you want, just type the tag [TRAINABLE] into any creature's raws. So for ice wolves just open creature_standard in either the game raws or the save raws, find ice wolves, then paste [TRAINABLE] in.

You will also need to add [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], as ice wolves, like most other evil creatures, are not tameable by default.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #35983 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:18 pm »

A were monkey attacked, I had no military so drafted everyone to go after it...2 dead dwarves, 6 injured...I think this might become a were creature fort.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35984 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:09 pm »

Got 2 good messages recently
- Urist cancels eat: Interrupted by Cavy Sow corpse. Translation: The cavy body didn't magically disappear into hammerspace after all. Or hamster space. Or ... hyper space?
- The fortress attracted no migrants this season. Translation: The rate of undead growth is sligtly lower.

I'd drop another cavy, but it's harvest season and we have 4 plots full of Pigtails right now. We need them pants.
Pages: 1 ... 2397 2398 [2399] 2400 2401 ... 3842