Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2396 2397 [2398] 2399 2400 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097753 times)

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35955 on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »

Just got a mod installed. Now I can play as goblins that don't need food or water. Feels good to play in a biome without needing aquifer and not having to check a still every 2 seconds.

Can't wait to see how Wraithsneak turns out

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35956 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:31 pm »

Oh, goddamnit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, it might not be exactly as horrible of a situation as I'd thought, as he's already back on his feet... damn. I guess early treatment and care goes for a lot. I guess I'll have to dial down my expectations on what 'explodes into gore' means.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:03:23 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35957 on: July 20, 2014, 09:09:50 pm »

... Also, trees grow stupid fast, and overpopulate their biomes.  EVERY area quickly becomes "Thick"-ly forested, regardless of what biome it starts as.
Zero Rain and Rocky Wastelands FTW! :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35958 on: July 20, 2014, 09:26:01 pm »

Actually, explodes into gore isn't a death sentence on non-vital body parts, I had a military dwarf suffer an 'explodes into gore' injury to the left shoulder, and with medical care he returned to full service with no debilitating effects in only a couple of months.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35959 on: July 20, 2014, 09:30:36 pm »

testing 40.04 in a serene grassland, got a really nice embark, i'll see if i can tolerate the lag....

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35960 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:08 pm »

Just got the new release, and decided to try my luck in a haunted marshland.

Taking all bets, dead before summer's end.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35961 on: July 20, 2014, 09:44:29 pm »

Actually, it might not be exactly as horrible of a situation as I'd thought, as he's already back on his feet... damn. I guess early treatment and care goes for a lot. I guess I'll have to dial down my expectations on what 'explodes into gore' means.

Based on tests I did in arena, "explodes into gore" is flavor text that basically translates to "this part got pulped." When a part gets pulped, like, say, a hand, then that means that the bones in the hand are broken, the hand is cut and bleeding, and probably any organs in the part are ruined.

So pulping non fatal parts like arms, legs, or hands or feet causes multiple injuries in one blow that are perfectly treatable and healable in the hospital. Pulping anything like the lower body, upper body, and head, however, is all instantly fatal akin to getting the brain torn or being bisected or decapitated. I presume this is because vital organs such as the heart, lungs, or the brain are destroyed in the act of getting pulped.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35962 on: July 20, 2014, 09:57:44 pm »

-snip-

one tip, use the soil layers for housing, agriculture and other social aspects(barracks, underground farms, dinning hall, ETC), so they're easier and quicker to carve, the stone layers use them for storage and workshops.

I've always done the opposite, have housing, barracks, and dining hall in the stone so that they can be smoothed and engraved, while the farms, workshops, and storage in soil so they can be easily expanded without needing to be resmoothed/reengraved.

Yeah, that's what I typically do, as well.

I've started doing a weird thing now with my workshops though.   I've been experimenting with three level industrial complexes:   raw goods go to the bottom level's stockpiles, which are connected by stairs to the workshops on the middle level, which in turn feed the stockpiles for finished goods, furniture, weapons and armor.  The idea I have is to reduce the walk distance.  I think this should improve production efficiency AND reduce pathfinding later on.   I've been doing a similar thing with having my farms and plant related industries above my dining hall, so that I can feed prepared meals and drinks to stockpiles close to the dining room, hopefully reducing transit time, and pathfinding.   

I hope. 

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35963 on: July 20, 2014, 10:01:45 pm »

well, FPS are -+60 frames, but still playable (althought this is only the first 7 dorfs). the rock layer is composed of shale as far as i have digged, and fond clusters of tetrahedrite, but obviously no cassiterite yet, maybe digging deeper, i havent found any fuel anyways, and dont know how fast do the .40 trees grow...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35964 on: July 20, 2014, 10:13:07 pm »

pulping non fatal parts like arms, legs, or hands or feet causes multiple injuries in one blow that are perfectly treatable and healable in the hospital. Pulping anything like the lower body, upper body, and head, however, is all instantly fatal akin to getting the brain torn or being bisected or decapitated. I presume this is because vital organs such as the heart, lungs, or the brain are destroyed in the act of getting pulped.

That's what I assumed as well. After all, how many people can survive having thier entire upper/lower body imitate an empty toothpaste tube? And of course, the hospital and its staff needs to be at least better than what Spearbreakers had...
-
So far so good in the haunted marsh. The local snapping turtles and pike are of the non-zombie variety, and as of 2nd Slate there's already a place for a depot and small unit of militiadwarves (which currently consists of a hammer and macedwarf, for the express intent of pulverizing the undead so thoroughly they can't get back up if this place really does have reanimation.) Speaking of whom, they're currently equipped with basic gear: A cow leather helmet and cuirass, bronze mail shirts, birch shields, and a weapon each. They operate under the squad name [The] Righteous Barricades.

The tiny barracks currently holds a few beds for everyone, and there's plenty of lovely light gray phyllite to work with for furniture and fortifications, which will be a must should the goblins come early, which I assume they will since there's a ruined dark fortress within spitting distance, or at least bandits and desperate refugees from it.

And the gravy on the dish? The first bout of weather was bog standard rain. I have got the best luck ever for a haunted marsh.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35965 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:32 pm »

Spoiler: The Test (click to show/hide)

The Result:
Cavy died from the spike, and not from the impact.
Shortly after, a dwarf ran in to clean up the blood mess, so now it's shiny again.
I originally saw the corpse, but now it's gone. Maybe I dumped it and forgot, maybe it disappeared after resetting the spike?
The spike was up when the cavy hit. Not sure how this happened since I retracted the spike.
Can't find any dwarves that have "witnessed death" thought. Maybe they already got that from other deaths, and just need more samples to reach "getting used to tragedy".

Conclusion: The other 4 guinea pigs should be dropped too.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35966 on: July 20, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »

first inmigrant wave, FPS dropped to like 50-40, still playable, im finishing to dig the warehouse galleries and soon will carve the workshop space, then later the bedrooms at the upper part. no problems here, not even vermins, must be something explicit of good surroundings. the rapid growth of the trees may allow me to produce large quantities of charcoal if im lucky. for now all i do is dig.

EDIT:

the workshop room and the last warehouses have been finished, well, more space will be given to the workshops later, the bedroom lvl is being digged in the upper layer. and the manufacturing of beds and doors is being done ASAP.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:53:06 pm by xaritscin »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35967 on: July 20, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »

Well, so far so good. A statue of a night creature killing a goblin now adorns the barracks, and there's enough tables and chairs for everyone now and dining room. Unfortunately, work is slowing as several dwarves go on break or continue with thier solo drills (damn their sense of duty!) Mercifully though it's summer now and migrants shouldn't be far off, though they need to hurry it up and get here so we can butcher the water buffalo bulls for trade goods.

Food and seed storage will have to wait for migrants.

EDIT: Migrants arrived, thank the gods. One had skill as a speardwarf but since I have no spears yet, she's using an axe. She also got the bright idea to ditch her pants and shoes when she was suiting up in her shiny new water buffalo leather armor and hat, became miserable, broke her husband's spine, put her pants and shoes back on, and was suddenly happy.

I suppose I need to make that guy a neck brace now though. And probably get some fabric to dress the wound...

EDIT II: Got attacked by a wereelk. It was spotted by and gave chase to the founder Mestthos Urnclashed the woodcutter. As a precaution against hostile (also known as undead) wildlife, she had become skilled in maintaining calm under pressure and in the face of danger (aka Skilled Discipline) and once she gained the high ground by fleeing up a tree after crippling it's left hoof, she managed to decapitate the beast when it tried to climb up after her. 

Due to this little wake-up call, the militia is officially being set to active duty. A barracks does need to be constructed topside to avoid cave adaptation's negative affects on dwarven soldiers, but with five dorfs (four in one, and one alone waiting for potential recruits,) we'll hopefully be safe from werebeast attacks in a few months.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35968 on: July 21, 2014, 03:31:40 pm »

http://puu.sh/alg4h/5b212a63c5.png

My woodcutter forgot to use the force
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35969 on: July 21, 2014, 04:05:22 pm »

Medtob Lockswords. Dreams of mastering a skill, almost suicidally brave in the face of danger and would spit in death's eye socket given the chance, and never passes up a chance for a fist fight. Great speardwarf. Slayer of Esteemedjoin the giant jaguar and Scribedpeaked the giant desert scorpion. And 460 other animals, animal men, and giant animals. She has replaced captain Sodel as commander of the Inked Helms both due to her skill and the fact that I'm sure she single handedly turned the area known as The Dunes of Cavorting from desert to sandy graveyard.

A group of bandits also attacked, and to my complete astonishment, my militia not only beat them back but also killed all 11 of them without any casualties! The goblins advanced towards the fort entrance  and all seemed intent on fighting until the five dwarf strong militia sprinted at them. Two of the idiots were trying to use two handed weapons one handed and lug around solid metal shields, netting them a decapitation and smushed head. The decapitation left Iton the husbandpuncher overwhelmed by horror and she was unable to participate in the battle from there.

Mesttoth Elkchopper got a few hits in with her shiny new -bronze battle axe- but when the MC caved in the other goblin's head she collapsed from sheer horror as well. The one enemy with any sense in regards to weapons that stood and fought was a hammergoblin who had the poor luck of catching an iron hammer to the hip. A lasher present then collapsed in horror at the sight of three of her friends being killed, and was swiftly dispatched. The remaining goblins (a crossbowman, three wrestlers, and three recruits who turned and ran when the dwarves didn't flee like they expected,) who hadn't fled yet turned and ran screaming. Last to die was a recruit who'd had some considerable ground gained on his buddies. Highlight of the battle is the commander who one-shotted the crossbowman after he tried and failed four times to hit someone with a bolt.

As soon as this was done the elves came, offering useful barrels and a nice mahogany buckler (I favor hardwoods for shields/bucklers as a rule) for the future captain of the guard. Several migrant kids and others were also quick to both clear up the goblin remains and take the goblins' shoes, pants, and in two cases loincloths.
Pages: 1 ... 2396 2397 [2398] 2399 2400 ... 3842