Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2390 2391 [2392] 2393 2394 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097372 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35865 on: July 17, 2014, 06:44:12 pm »

Built on a 3-rivers gorge location... everything went fine until I put the waterfall in the dining room.  Despite grates and fully functional, normal waterfall, dwarves keep showing up dead and drowned in the river.  I have NO idea how.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35866 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »

more inmigrants, i need to move with the expansion of the civilian rooms, the countryside is being attacked by grey langurs now...

expanded more rooms, changed a layout and suddenly i can carve 20 rooms per hall, nice buff. a human caravan has just arrived, looks like it took some time for them to develop, i hope the elves come soon too, i want some exotic livestock
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:08:29 pm by xaritscin »

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35867 on: July 17, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »

Built on a 3-rivers gorge location... everything went fine until I put the waterfall in the dining room.  Despite grates and fully functional, normal waterfall, dwarves keep showing up dead and drowned in the river.  I have NO idea how.

Perhaps they like the beautiful mist so much they just.... jump?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35868 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:28 pm »

Is it just me, or are dwarves reluctant to pick up certain jobs now? I've had several extra animals scheduled to be butchered for most of a season, and a few butcherdwarves just stand idle. No burrows involved, nothing preventing pathing, jsut odd behavior...

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35869 on: July 17, 2014, 08:52:43 pm »

.........my earphones started to work only from one side and trying to fix it i accidentaly the PC, the restart rolled me back to when the wall is still finishing.....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

-_- looks like i will have to start all over again, at least i can fix some mistakes made some hours ago (like overproducing mechanisms)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35870 on: July 17, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

Is it just me, or are dwarves reluctant to pick up certain jobs now? I've had several extra animals scheduled to be butchered for most of a season, and a few butcherdwarves just stand idle. No burrows involved, nothing preventing pathing, jsut odd behavior...

even in .34 i get dorfs idle when they should at least be hauling stuff, it doesnt make sense, or that's they should be doing most of the time

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35871 on: July 17, 2014, 09:16:19 pm »

Started something I haven't done in a while: make bedrooms for civilians. I have a few beds leftover from earlier wood-rushes on the surface.
Also finished repairing the water issue at the generator. I'm gonna fire it up soon, but I don't have enough wood for the dozens of screw pumps I will need.
Finally, I can put my cavy population (5 Pet Gunea Pigs!) to good use ! The 8-ZLevel puppy drop into the dining hall is finally done. And my militia just reached "content" again after sleeping off their very unhappy feelings from earlier.
Should be fun next chance I have to game.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35872 on: July 17, 2014, 11:10:20 pm »

I hate elfves. Besides everything else about them that we all hate, the bandit form of them get metal gear and how no respect for the wildlife as the ruthlessly kill anything they can find. That and this group has yet to freak over a corpse yet.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35873 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:30 pm »

so, after some time repeating and fixing some fortress management i have finally gotten almost to the point i was before the accidental restart, i didnt receive more goblin snatchers like the last time, and no langurs messing around, but right now this is badger country....

the walls have been finished, more rooms have been carved, and have a bridge to the other side of the river, the drawbridges of the outside have been connected already and i have moved the refuse and corpse stockpiles in order to not mess with the direction for the roads i'm gonna add in the future, the hospital has been built again, and i have made some traction benches, but there's still much to put there.

there's an overflow of food and im doing my best to contain as much food as possible before it becomes rotten, it tends to happen everytime i make a fort, but an increase in population should fix part of it, right now the solution is to produce barrels like crazy, the issue with metal bars have been fixed with massive bin manufacture, but there's still much ore to process and not enough wood to justify the production of charcoal.

armor stands and weapon racks are being provided to the soon to be barracks, need to cover all the rooms before making the militia, also need to melt some of the copper for armor, or start to strip mine the granite layers of the fortress to see if i found tin for making bronze. as i dont see any source of iron around.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:39:46 pm by xaritscin »

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35874 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:45 am »

Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Elf Lasher nefarious murk thrall Corpse.
The flying ({silver bolt}) strikes The Elf Lasher nefarious murk thrall Corpse in the throat, tearing it through the ({alpaca wool cloak})!
(Because migrant Fisherdwarfs come with crossbows for some reason.)
The ({silver bolt}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Elf Lasher nefarious thrall Corpse pulls out and drops the ({silver bolt}).
Fisherdwarf: I must withdraw!
The Fisherdwarf slams into an obstacle!
The Fisherdwarf's right lower leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle through the (pig tail fiber trousers)!
The Fisherdwarf's upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver through the (pig tail fiber cloak)!
The Fisherdwarf's left cheek takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!

So, the fisherdwarf gets off a lucky shot, watches in horror as the elf pulls the bolt out of his throat, and then turns to run into a tree.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35875 on: July 18, 2014, 12:45:36 am »

the military rooms are almost ready need weapon racks for the rest of the rooms and the archery targets. a miner got struck by a mood but i couldnt find the materials he needed so he became depressed, it will be a sad loss for me as i care much for my miners, the food problem was fixed and things have turned to normal lvls, now that i have plenty of barrels im producing some booze, but surely will have to stop before it fills all of them. i need spare ones.

beehives were built and jugs are being produced for the jelly. the human caravan came and i traded the usual stuff for some more tools and animals. the new rooms are being filled with beds for the upcoming inmigrants, the work with the barracks havent left space for making doors, but as i have more than the count of rooms needed for housing, i will take the time to fill them. apart from that not many problems, except maybe that im running out with trees and will have to wait until the whole region recovers of the massive operation.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35876 on: July 18, 2014, 03:02:16 am »

Begun a new .03 fort in terrifying woods. This far nothing notable except a lamprey and a sturgeon locked in a mortal combat. And all the preparation... Starting seven consist of 4 axedwarves, two miners and a trader all with some basic combat skills. Now to dig in and never show a hair of beard aboveground (you know, just in case).

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35877 on: July 18, 2014, 04:29:02 am »

I spent two dwarf years carving out a set of spiral impulse ramps up from the magma sea, and another year figuring out the dumping station at the top and how to get the cart to keep moving through the magma at the bottom. With the addition of a perpetual motion plant, I now have a minecart based magma elevator! Sadly though, it lifts magma at a very, very slow rate. And murders children and dogs. Some design modifications later, and the tracks are sealed from all dwarves! Safety ensues. But the magma is coming in so slowly that it's evaporating faster than I can get it up from the sea. A system for adding more carts in without endangering dwarves is added, taking about 3 months to implement. Finally, 5 years after the building started, I have magma forges, smelters, glass furnaces and kilns, a mere 10 layers below the soil.

The device was finally deactivated.

Later, in an attempt to get rid of the 5s and 6s dancing around in the magma trench, and replace them with glorious 7s, I kept the device running, until it overflowed and melted all my non-magma safe track stops and rollers -_- now the 6 iron carts keep going round and round, and the safeguard I put in in case of this sort of emergency, a floodgate to block the water in the power plant at the bottom, isn't working because some fool of a dwarf dropped his Armok-damned socks into it. So now the whole pipe to the surface is slowly filling up with magma, and I can't disable it because the carts just pummel to death anyone who walks on the tracks.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #35878 on: July 18, 2014, 04:40:55 am »

Well, you know what they say. You can't make an omelette without first incinerating thousands of eggs in molten rock from deep within the Earth.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35879 on: July 18, 2014, 06:05:05 am »

Perhaps they like the beautiful mist so much they just.... jump?

Maybe... but in order to get into the river, they would have to leave the dining room, go down the hall, around the corner, out onto the bridge and then jump.  The drainage for the dining room went off the map through fortifications after filling a cistern for the hospital  :/
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 2390 2391 [2392] 2393 2394 ... 3842