Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2389 2390 [2391] 2392 2393 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097751 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35850 on: July 17, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »

Early winter of the first year at Boltstone. Two groups of goblin bandits finally left the map, after roaming around since the first days of autumn. My whole wood stockpile was outside when bandits arrived so the dwarves spent whole autumn sneaking out to carry logs inside whenever invaders happened to get away from the entrance. No sign of the autumn caravan or outpost liaison, so will have to wait until Elves arrive to get my hospital stocked.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35851 on: July 17, 2014, 02:01:48 pm »

Currently having a blast at seeing my ranger try to hunt warthogs, and run away in terror whenever he lands a hit on them.

'He tends to avoid any physical confrontations, and he works to square that natural tendency with his respect of martial prowess' seems to be the only trait he has that could be influencing that. He does train discipline each time he runs away.

His buddy ranger is hunting the warthogs without running away. He does not have, or train discipline at all. He does lack any traits that could make him fearful though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35852 on: July 17, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »

The great war with the Tortoise folk went badly.   Not because  the Turtle folk are dangerous:  even my untrained militia was able to dispatch one of them, despite running in fear constantly from an incapacitated turtle.   No, the problem is that my weaponsmith/axedorf apparently became unhinged by being covered in gore, and when I went after more turtle people, he flipped the heck out and choped the legs off my commander.   Then he went back to the fort and started murdering anything wot came close. 

Dammit. 

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35853 on: July 17, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »

everything okay, finished the dinner hall, doors are being produced for the bedrooms, the population is more than 50 dwarves now, a clerk came with one of the migration waves and i have finished to make the arrangements for its personal rooms, the barracks are being digged and should soon serve to cover all types of combat dorfs. a fully fledged army is a must i have to take.

on the other hand the artifact made by the cook was Shovetalmosh, "MysteryGleam", a birch crown of the highest quality and covered with birch spikes (sounds pretty lame for an artifact, but anyways)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35854 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:56 pm »

Not really. It's a crown that keeps itself on the king's head!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35855 on: July 17, 2014, 02:40:32 pm »

Not really. It's a crown that keeps itself on the king's head!

its valued in 2300 maybe i can use it to buy more important stuff.

as for the fort, the barracks have been carved completely, need to produce some armor stacks and archery stuff for setting the rooms. the bookkeeper is getting its furniture assigned and should start to work soon. the glassmaker died as it was expected from a failed mood. im putting the masons to make coffins and carving a graveyard near the river. it should be at enough distance to not mess with my warehouses when i require to make more lvls of it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35856 on: July 17, 2014, 02:43:04 pm »

as for the fort, the barracks have been carved completely, need to produce some armor stacks and archery stuff for setting the rooms. the bookkeeper is getting its furniture assigned and should start to work soon. the glassmaker died as it was expected from a failed mood. im putting the masons to make coffins and carving a graveyard near the river. it should be at enough distance to not mess with my warehouses when i require to make more lvls of it.

You can't sell artifacts. With the Display Case mod you can use worthless artifacts to improve room value.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35857 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:33 pm »

You can't sell artifacts. With the Display Case mod you can use worthless artifacts to improve room value.

:'( ok

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35858 on: July 17, 2014, 03:21:45 pm »

cutting down sinister dead plum trees.
I'm wondering whether the elves will blame me for their demise ... we did cause their 'downfall'. ><
Can report my dwarves have no nightmares from sleeping in sinister beds, the wood looks and feels like normal plumtree wood.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35859 on: July 17, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

a blacksmith had a mood, had to rush and build another forge, and burn charcoal for smelting metal bars, and butcher a poor mule foal so the idiot could gather the materials.

also got to trade more shell crafts, got hand of large amounts of leather and cloth, along with more anvils, and a pair of animals i needed for livestock production.

EDIT: the man made a silver bracelet with spider silk spikes, bands of cat leather and encircled with mule bone, the bracelet also has an image of itself (wut)....

oh, built a kennel for catching vermin.....

EDIT: building walls around the entrance perimeter as part of the second defense, its almost done, but i have received 3 goblin snatcher attacks in a row (WTF), for now everything seems normal, but with the goblins annoying i bet an ambush will be next

EDIT: the walls are almost finished, two waves of inmigrants came, no problem for now, and more livestock is apreciated, built a bridge connecting with the other side of the river, and im getting plenty of wood for my operations, but must be wise in not to spend them like crazy. just making some bins for now, the stockpile is filling quickly
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:20:15 pm by xaritscin »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35860 on: July 17, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »

Don't have a fort yet, but my smaller (33x33) world with 250 years of history entered the age of Dwarves

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35861 on: July 17, 2014, 06:09:36 pm »

I've had a fort going for a few years now.  On a 3x5 tile embark, to fit in the volcano and the river.

On Spring of the second year, (I had yet to get any dwarves with martial skills, or any defenses up to lock myself away), I got the siege message.  "A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!"  This vile force was about thirteen elves who proceeded to cautiously make their way to the entrance of my fort, and then slaughter some of my livestock.  In this process, they all got scared out of their minds and fled.  So that was fun.

I did have a werebuffalo come by and kill three dwarves, but no tantrum spiral.  And I'm still waiting for my cistern to fill up from the river, been about two years since I started filling it, and it's going slow.  So I fear I dug it too big.  I wanted to have a waterfall in the entrance to my great hall, so it's a mite bit annoying.

All in all, things are going well, I've finally started up a military, though I need more military dwarves, and magma-proof rock to finish my magma forges so I can start to look for metals to outfit my soldiers in earnest.  So far, no dice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35862 on: July 17, 2014, 06:13:55 pm »

I haven't tried this with newer versions, but certainly in the last you could keep an artifact in the workshop it was made in (by forbidding it) and wait for your Fort's destruction (or just abandon it). Upon reclaim your artifacts could then be traded to traders.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35863 on: July 17, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »

A miner had the ground dug out from under him by another miner while doing work on the cliffs overlooking the lake.  Instead of taking the 1 z level fall he grabbed onto the cliffside for dear life and started climbing around over the lake, I can only assume trying to reach the bridge 5 z-levels over the lake.  He holds on just long enough to get over the water then takes a 3 z level plunge into the drink.

But he keeps trying to climb the cliff from there.  He's not drowning because he manages to get 1 z-level above the water with every climb attempt, yet he fails to make the climb.  I send out his fellow miners to dig him a rescue tunnel and he refuses to take it, actually climbing AROUND the hole instead of going in.

After a time he becomes a novice climber and makes the climb most of the way to the bridge, then suddenly seems to notice the tunnel is there and climbs back down and into it and runs off to go get a drink.

There are no words.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:35:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35864 on: July 17, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »

the walls are completed along with the second set of drawbridges, but for some reason the mechanics havent built the levers i ordered for them, there's tons of wood coming from the other side of the river which i have used to produce the bins, and i have built a hospital, but still need to produce many furniture related to it.

EDIT: drawbridges connected with the new levers, with this i shouldnt worry for sieges, but this is only the beginning, roads are being constructed too, but i cannot put so much work in a single thing, or the goblins could take me by surprise. i also found that i dont have elves nor humans near, so my only source of trade are the caravans from the homeland
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:45:24 pm by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 2389 2390 [2391] 2392 2393 ... 3842