Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2387 2388 [2389] 2390 2391 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098330 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35820 on: July 16, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »

third floor of the apartment building done, dinner hall finished, needs a door, same for the egg/pork farm. those damned parrots came again and are fucking my operations, they're so annoying that one should be able to train them for attacking the enemy, just saying.... -____-

i have a question, are roads destroyed if i build them where a drawbridge lands?, or they stay there even when the bridge is down?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:13:23 pm by xaritscin »

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35821 on: July 16, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »

third floor of the apartment building done, dinner hall finished, needs a door, same for the egg/pork farm. those damned parrots came again and are fucking my operations, they're so annoying that one should be able to train them for attacking the enemy, just saying.... -____-

i have a question, are roads destroyed if i build them where a drawbridge lands?, or they stay there even when the bridge is down?

Crossbow squad time? In 0.34.x I used to make a 5-10 man squad and manually designate some all wildlife/etc. as targets.
Give 'em copper bolts or something, no need to waste iron.
It trains them, and helps keep theft down.
Plus if you turn on outside refuse collection your butchers will often go grab the recently slain and chop 'em up.
Especially if you did what I generally do and edit the raws to allow the butchering and eating of sapients  :o
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35822 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »

I don't think they're destroyed, no, but you have to be careful not to accidentally smash anyone using the roads.
Black lives matter.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35823 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:49 pm »

Ok, that was funny.   I sent my militia after the Giant Tortoise people.  I had a bunch of Tetrahedrite from embark, so I was able to deck them out with copper mail, highboots, gauntlets and helmets, with 2 pick and 2 axes.  Only three of my squad made it out of the burrow to confront, er, run away from the fearsome menace of the turtle people.   I guess that's what I get for embarking with no discipline and then trying to field a military.   But after, finally, killing a turtle woman, I've got a few military skills scattered among my troops.  But there is an aquifer to crack. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35824 on: July 16, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »

Ok, that was funny.   I sent my militia after the Giant Tortoise people.  I had a bunch of Tetrahedrite from embark, so I was able to deck them out with copper mail, highboots, gauntlets and helmets, with 2 pick and 2 axes.  Only three of my squad made it out of the burrow to confront, er, run away from the fearsome menace of the turtle people.   I guess that's what I get for embarking with no discipline and then trying to field a military.   But after, finally, killing a turtle woman, I've got a few military skills scattered among my troops.  But there is an aquifer to crack.

Killing animal men is a great way to harden your soldiers, discipline is less important to horror than "doesn't care anymore"

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35825 on: July 16, 2014, 10:59:05 pm »

another ambush, practically no casualties, there's a dwarven caravan stuck here, i have already traded with them for some important goodies (anvils, leather, cloth and some livestock). i have a 70k+ wealth according to my noob broker.

i built an underground farm for extra food, and have a large amount of livestock but not enough for butchering in masse. i have yet to finish some cage traps for catching some animals outside and the roads intended for caravans arent finished yet, still i dont know if putting roads under the drawbridge is a bad idea. looks like i'll have to do the science...

EDIT: adding insult to injury one of the butchers entered in berserk stance, he killed a dog and one of the guards of the caravan, that madafaka took a long time in order to be shut down, i have started the production of copper equipment for a squad. swordwarves basically, planning to expand it with more as i get the rest of the weapons. im hoping to have a fully fledged army of all types for when goblins come, but for now im worried more about what seems to be the start of a tantrum spiral, i dont know how i will deal with that but for now, my best bet is to finish the dinning hall and some rooms.

EDIT: whatever, just when i thought the goblines were gone i lay down the bridge and they enter and start the slaughter, time to make another fort, underground again...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:04:59 am by xaritscin »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35826 on: July 17, 2014, 12:24:53 am »

Weremonitor attack. It killed a couple of my dwarves and turned two into weremonitors. One died the first time they transformed (along with five or so civilians), and I locked away the second.

Except the second transformed again in my hospital. I double checked and realized that the dude I locked away just had the same first name as the weremonitor... oops. I walled up the hospital while the thing tore apart all the other patients. Their sacrifice was not in vain and it was contained, though the hospital is now the Old Hospital. Hopefully the tantrum spiral from this won't be too bad.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:26:39 am by penguinofhonor »

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #35827 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:51 am »

A dwarf got moody, but he was just sitting there in the clothier's workshop. I thought I had everything he needed. It turned out, though, that all the cloth was in the hospital and thus unavailable for usage! Once I removed the hospital zone, the dwarves pulled the cloth out of the coffer and into a stockpile...and THEN the moody dwarf went and got it.

Azinlektad Mamgoz Abod, "Watchedlure the Dragon of Striking". This is an alpaca wool loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with sterling silver and pig iron, decorated with alpaca wool and encircled with bands of donkey leather. It is made from alpaca wool cloth. This object menaces with spikes of sheep wool and basalt.

Value: 27560. Whee
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35828 on: July 17, 2014, 01:17:04 am »

new fortress, compact, have just started and have most of the workshops along with 32 rooms in process, underground farms ready, warehouses too, getting sure the dorfs have everything they need.

rooms for sand and clay need to be done separated in case of breaching the cavern layer (unless cavern flora spreads all around the underground even if the other place is separated from the main structure).

place for egg production and overground farms are yet to be done. plans for a bunker and a wall are being evaluated, a well is ready to be built also.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35829 on: July 17, 2014, 06:22:41 am »

Gremlin Cologne, coming to a trade depot near you.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35830 on: July 17, 2014, 08:56:05 am »

rooms for sand and clay need to be done separated in case of breaching the cavern layer (unless cavern flora spreads all around the underground even if the other place is separated from the main structure).
Cavern growth such as moss doesn't interfere with collecting sand or clay.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35831 on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:03 am »

Cavern growth such as moss doesn't interfere with collecting sand or clay.

i thought it would work the same as any grass or bush in the surface, thanks....

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35832 on: July 17, 2014, 09:33:52 am »

Gremlin Cologne, coming to a trade depot near you.
How much did you buy?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35833 on: July 17, 2014, 09:49:24 am »

Two kobold thieves appeared as a pair, and it's barely autumn; I wonder if this means we can expect worse to come in year 2.  Still worse, the expected "liaison has not arrived" message has arrived (I intentionally started in year 76 in a world where the last dwarven civilization was eliminated in 75 to try out the early monarch route), which means I'm running out of time, and the only ores I have in bulk are sphalerite, which isn't worth much without copper to alloy it with. 

On the bright side, I am collecting large amounts of lignite, and just encountered an entirely unexpected surplus of marble, so it seems that if I can just get some iron ore, I might be able to get a steel industry going. 

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35834 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:16 am »

I'm starting to get the hang of things - my fortress just survived four consecutive invasions despite once going down from 85 dwarves to 6. Now I'm working on finally getting my militia armored, I forgot to bring anvils so I could only build my forge about an ingame year ago. Also, for some reason when the latest dwarven caravan arrived, they immediately disappeared when the "unloading their goods" message came on, so I'm now stuck with about 7-800 stone crafts in bins.
Pages: 1 ... 2387 2388 [2389] 2390 2391 ... 3842