Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2386 2387 [2388] 2389 2390 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098296 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35805 on: July 16, 2014, 05:43:14 pm »

those damned birds, my hunters dont seem to kill them even when i have a whole supply of crossbows and bolts.

the apartment building which will take care of the dwarves is getting into shape, and the second floor is being built along with its walls. the keas are messing around and a rooster has been killed by bleeding from them.
Kea are too small to be butchered so hunters ignore them.
Magnificent bastards.

indeed, fucking parrots, oh well, looks like i'll have to deal with it, my grazing animals will suffer but its for the better, and talking about the fort, the second floor is almost ready, just a few walls to finish and then move on to the third floor.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35806 on: July 16, 2014, 05:53:31 pm »

So far we've got chalk and tetrahedrite on site, so we have some metals and valuable furniture material if we lack any iron ore. And a lovely persimmon/walnut wood palisade is being constructed as an early defense. After the residential and workshop areas are dug out, the miners will be tasked with extracting  martial for some stone watch towers as well as a crypt. I fully expect migrants to come from Spiritnets which includes many upset and insane/dying dwarves.

With the enemy coming from the woods and plains, it will be up to The Honorable Bulwark to bleed the enemy white and bring an end to the war by force of it's militia.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35807 on: July 16, 2014, 05:55:07 pm »

Oh they aren't normal kea. They are giant kea and kea-people. Tired of them trying to steal my steel.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35808 on: July 16, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

The caravan brought me 10 amber in a barrel. It might have frozen on my territory, since it's not marked as a trader item. This is even more confusing than the barrels of blood.

It was frozen sap. We can now buy tree sap in barrels.

The pony mods must make use of this.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35809 on: July 16, 2014, 06:23:49 pm »

Oh they aren't normal kea. They are giant kea and kea-people. Tired of them trying to steal my steel.

O_O mother of god, may Armok have mercey with those poor dorfs....

in other news, a large badger conga is making circles around the fortress, its strangely cute, and the construction of the apartments is coming faster now that i've discovered the power of blocks.

i have put the smelters to work and im printing coke like crazy, once the lignite and coal has ran out of expenses or space i will start to melt those sweet metals. the main concern is to keep dorfs with suitable houses but i may have to start building a dinning hall and the barracks soon.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:29:31 pm by xaritscin »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35810 on: July 16, 2014, 06:29:03 pm »

Got a crafting area set up, with workshops, a finished item pile and a raw materials pile, as well as a kitchen, dining hall, farm, and living area (which is smoothed as soon as the rooms are dug out).

Also, I noticed that 1. stockpiles cannot be designated on bridges, 2. refuse must be set to 'dump' or nothing happens (at least, I think) and 3. brooks are useless for dumping trash into, as items and creatures can be on them with no ill effect.
Black lives matter.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35811 on: July 16, 2014, 06:31:28 pm »

The caravan brought me 10 amber in a barrel. It might have frozen on my territory, since it's not marked as a trader item. This is even more confusing than the barrels of blood.

It was frozen sap. We can now buy tree sap in barrels.

The pony mods must make use of this.

Agreed.
-
The palisade is finished and with it comes a raising chalk block bridge* flanked by chalk statues of Bobrur The Lute of Petals, the first of the dwarven god of song laughing and the second of him striking a triumphant pose. The miners have finished most of the dining hall and food storage, and the other 5 dwarves are busying themselves with securing their anvil and weapons from the keas roaming about (two of which flew into the side of the one birch tree we didn't turn into bed frames. I will build a small monument/park around the kea-slapping birch tree,) and storing the copious amount of wood from the felled plum, almond, and walnut trees.

Farms sit waiting patiently to be planted and a dormitory is built, and after that some fuel powered forges will be next since we have a few boulders of lignite to make use of. Also the ground work for a depot for the annual caravan is being set up. I say annual because with two wars in progress it's obvious that only the  home caravan's going to arrive for the foreseeable future. It's gonna be made out of either chalk or wood, and I'm leaning to wood just to offend any elves who make it that far.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35812 on: July 16, 2014, 06:32:31 pm »

Got the hang of military training. Sadly, the attack of zombies arrived earlier than expected and annihilated the military. Then the dwarves played "You can't catch me!" with the zombies and a merry time was had by all! (Until they caught up)

I think I'll try reclaiming it later.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35813 on: July 16, 2014, 06:40:24 pm »

During a siege, a Goblin recruit climbed over my walls into my fortress, but was swiftly dispatched by my military. Meanwhile a batch of civilians, terrified of the goblin climbed over the wall out of the fort, and were promptly slaughted by the remaining goblins.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35814 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »

goblins have started to appear, mostly snatchers, but is about time before an ambush or siege appears. no more animals seem to appear, and had to rely in livestock for meat, there's still much to do before finishing the apartments, but i have more important matters, like securing the pens for pork and eggs.

the next thing is the list is the roof for the dinning hall which and the barracks, once that's settled i can continue with the main building. the warehouses are filling with coke so i better start smelting that shit.

EDIT: the fuel reserves are coming to an end, and the dorfs have started to put them in the new bins i have set to construct, but it will take a time to save all the space occupied, the nesting area is almost roofed and soon i will be able to put a door on it.

the current population is 72, but only 20 rooms have been built, the third floor is ready but i havent roofed it yet. there's not enough time for building, i think i will have to build some extra masonries.

EDIT: and it worked, i burned quickly most of the stone i had gathered from the mines, and the dorfs have started the roofing of the dinning hall, soon they will enjoy a few tables and well, there's much to do, all the fuel was converted into coke, and now im smelting all the ore harvested, however there's no space in the stockpile for it due to a lack of wood, i've set all my wood workers to the wilds in order to bring down a good chunk of wood. and if time is correct i will have to start putting miners to work again
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:07:43 pm by xaritscin »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35815 on: July 16, 2014, 08:26:08 pm »

The Fall of SomeName, the Shelled Blob with Webs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35816 on: July 16, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »

first goblin ambush in this fort, not really a problem except for the usual dorf that was left outside of the walls after the alert. the rest of the fort has enough supplies to survive, will to expand some stockpiles in order to keep the flow of resources.

silentveteren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35817 on: July 16, 2014, 09:34:53 pm »

One of my dwarves went insane. I had to send my military in after she murdered her child. The fun part? This person was the mayor, and was friends with almost half the town ( population 113 ). the !FUN! part? The mayor and her friends had a grudges against a group of migrants, one of which belonged to the squad that killed the mayor. Result? Civil War between the two factions. Within 100 ticks, 20 dwarves had died ( half my dwarves are in the military on inactive duty, but carry around basic iron battleaxes or crossbows )  200 ticks, and 20 more are dead, with nearly 60 injured dwarves.

~10 adult dwarves remain to clean up the mess, with a dozen children and babies to take care of.

Will the survivers murder the wounded mayor faction while they are unconcious? Will Rovod Oddomnunok, captain of the guard, declare himself king? Only time will tell.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35818 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:09 pm »

The site looked good.   Good tree cover, so we'll be able to build a palisade to keep us safe from Goblins, there's some sort of metals down there, judging from the oily slicks in the water, I'm guessin iron.  Once we break through that accursed aquifer, we should be able to get a a good, defensible fortress.   

But the lads keep grumblin about the tortoise people.   I ain't ever heard of'em doin no harm, slow as they are.   But there's been talk of making all sorts of geegaws from their shells.   And they're spookin the dogs, Unib can't get his training done on account of the wardogs high tailin' it every time they get close to them, and those turtle folk just love to stand there by the wagon, munching on gras and watching us.  Kinda says sumfin fer the quality of cur we'll be expectin to defend us from gobbers, but Unib swears he can make'em mean. 

My, what beady eyes they've got.   Ya know, my pa always told me not to trust beady eyes, and damned if they arn't squinty lil bastards.   They've just been watchin' us cut up some logs into good dimensional timber fer buildin, and the pumps we'll need to get through the water table.  And ya know, Kogan don't sound so damn crazy now.   Maybe they are jes' waitin fer most of us to be under ground, tunnelin through the aquifer, then BAM!   They collapse tha shaft an eat wots left.

Hell, Rakust just burst into mah office, as it were, an' started jabberin' bout the turtles is fighting with tha dogs, there's blood everywhere.   Sure as hell, there was blood everywhere, one of the turtle men was fading in and out of conciousness, an' a dog was gnawing on another, who'd retreated right into the shell.   We grabbed whatever was handy, which weren't much, Tun an Unib cuttin' down tress on the north edge of camp.   Hell, that damn dog is still up there gnawing on the shell, and it's dark.   They ain't much of a threat, I guess.

But still, I got Kogan hammerin' night and day, makin' us some mail and weapons.   Hel, the picks and axes well be great when we start breachin' the wet stone, and I'd rather not have any surprises.   We'll be movin' on'em soon.   

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35819 on: July 16, 2014, 09:51:06 pm »

One of my dwarves went insane. I had to send my military in after she murdered her child. The fun part? This person was the mayor, and was friends with almost half the town ( population 113 ). the !FUN! part? The mayor and her friends had a grudges against a group of migrants, one of which belonged to the squad that killed the mayor. Result? Civil War between the two factions. Within 100 ticks, 20 dwarves had died ( half my dwarves are in the military on inactive duty, but carry around basic iron battleaxes or crossbows )  200 ticks, and 20 more are dead, with nearly 60 injured dwarves.

~10 adult dwarves remain to clean up the mess, with a dozen children and babies to take care of.

Will the survivers murder the wounded mayor faction while they are unconcious? Will Rovod Oddomnunok, captain of the guard, declare himself king? Only time will tell.

That's pretty epic. Please report back.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.
Pages: 1 ... 2386 2387 [2388] 2389 2390 ... 3842