Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2385 2386 [2387] 2388 2389 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098321 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35790 on: July 16, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »

First megabeast attack of the new version! A dragon came in from the western edge of the map in the third year, and promptly set fire to the forest. It scorched just about the entire map except for my aboveground entrance, which was protected by a water filled moat. It came into the outer perimeter to kill a watchdog, then just kinda chilled out outside the gate to the depot area. I assembled my militia and lowered the gates, fully expecting them to block the dragonfire with their shields like the last version. Not so.

As soon as the gate lowered, the dragon set the unfortunates in the front on fire while the rest promptly broke and ran. Of course it chased them, spewing fire and generally wreaking havoc. I had to shut the reserve gate on what was left of the broken militia to keep the dragon from getting into the fort where I had no way to stop it. Not long later the caravan arrived, and one of the guards stabbed it in the head, killing it instantly  ::)

thats kinda disappointing usualy losing is fun but losing because something dosent really work properly anymore espicaly when the way you engaged was so imersive and inpresive

Oh, my militia was a big mass of mostly untrained (but steel-clad) speardwarves. I just regularly underestimate the morale system. It probably didn't help that I modded dragons to be half again as large and have wings either. No flying yet though, I don't want to defeat a megabeast by having it fly into a tree and break its everything.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35791 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »

The dwarven Caravan arrived at early autumn, a bit early for my taste but whatever.
The liaison was a goblin...  ???

On other hands my newest Fortress grows a bit slow, mostly due to the fact that I decided to build a bit higher as usual.
For example: My barracks are two z-levels high with a walkway around to the rooms of the soldiers training there. Nothing to spectular, but as someone who is used to building quite simple to maximise effieciency the slow growth rate is a bit unusual for me.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35792 on: July 16, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »

the wall has been completed but at the expense of practically all my wood expenses. fortunately i have plenty of tress remaining and can now focus in my underground activities, as there's plenty of rock to get rid of. i have just built a small building for housing some dorfs, mostly the surface version of my 2x2 bedroom layout, the only problem is, i dont know how im gonna save space for the dwarves now that they live in a so limited space. i need tips for building multistory buildings.

but for now, i dont have to worry about water nor invasions, i can develop my industry unscathed.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35793 on: July 16, 2014, 03:03:30 pm »

Using the LNP, almost exclusively for the included graphics and population limit stuff.
I have both FPS settings at 999, because fast DF lawl.
Made a couple of stockpiles after embarking for the dwarves to fill, and they did - in a couple of seconds. They were literally too fast for me to follow.
What the heck.
Black lives matter.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35794 on: July 16, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »

Logna, Yeol, and Holt succumb to madness along with kalu being overwhelmed by melancholy, Ders and Wick have gone missing, resulting in Serg becoming the new mayor as he pitches a fit. Trame has had enough and finally loses his shit in a fit of anger, and dwarves have been left dead in the halls long enough that some are starting to rot. Militadwarvs Dreg and Insa are killed by their own angry squad mates, and the militia gives up as the gold gate comes back down, and with it Kreol goes mad.

They will continue as normal, and what comes will come, with Squib and Hyte moving to the nobility suite to kill the berserk Guin.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35795 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »

Using the LNP, almost exclusively for the included graphics and population limit stuff.
I have both FPS settings at 999, because fast DF lawl.
Made a couple of stockpiles after embarking for the dwarves to fill, and they did - in a couple of seconds. They were literally too fast for me to follow.
What the heck.

may i ask, whats LNP?

in other news: i building an apartment building, the idea is to use a main staircase in a hallway and repeat the building pattern in the upper lvls without messing with the walls, this should do the trick, i hope. im getting full of inmigrants and dont have any bed set yet, recurring to the underground is not an option
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:27:16 pm by xaritscin »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35796 on: July 16, 2014, 03:28:21 pm »

The Lazy Newb Pack.
...yeah.
Black lives matter.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35797 on: July 16, 2014, 03:32:26 pm »

Now even Trame has gone mad. The militia goes to inactive status to try and help move the dead to where they will not produce miasma, but many know it may already be too late. Mar drowns in the cavern lake attempting to escape the horrors, and her baby Kiln will die soon as the poor child doesn't know how to swim. The child Vill goes berserk, forcing Militiadwarf Merrick to strike him down.

Death and madness rule Spiritnets. It is terrifying.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35798 on: July 16, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »

The Lazy Newb Pack.
...yeah.

thanx for clarifying it

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35799 on: July 16, 2014, 03:41:45 pm »

Went back to Hammerflickered in .34.11 since .40 is still unstable and unoptimized. Decided to load the seasonal backup save from spring before the fortress opened the pits to hell. There's still stuff I want to do, loot I want to make, soldiers to train, candy to smelt into armor, death traps to build, etc.

Made use of some of the adamantine to suit my militia commander, Sibrek Channelboats the Tin Confinement of Deeps, in full candy. Everything she's wearing is exceptional or better, so that's cool.

There were reports of reptilemen harassing haulers gathering adamantine, so the hammerdwarves were sent down to deal with it. Sibrek's currently down in the third cavern layer slaughtering reptile men by herself since all her squadmates are "resting".

She's gotten 45 kills so far, 28 notable. She's legendary in fighting, hammers, armor using, biting, striking, kicking, shields, and misc object user. She's green in a bunch of attributes, being basically unbreakable, absolutely inexhaustible, unbelievably strong and exceptionally agile, and has a stunning feel for spatial relationships, unbreakable focus, an astounding feel for the position of her own body, unbreakable willpower, great analytical abilities, great intuition, and an ability to read emotions fairly well. Her only negative is she has a little trouble with words. She's served in the military since the very founding of the fortress nine game years ago. She's the sole survivor of the great webbing in year 12, when the entire military was slain by a coral forgotten beast. She just happened to survive by sheer fluke of being webbed in a corner away from most action.

I'm so proud of her. ;-;7
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35800 on: July 16, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »

More dwarves go stark raving mad and Merrick has killed two dwarves in self defense (specifically they tried to attack him and he killed them with countrstrikes: A punch to the head and a decapitation.) Baff plummets to his death when he picks a fight with a tantruming fishery worker while tantruming himself and explodes rather than get impaled (as the spikes were dismantled.) Jenkum's remains are foun down there as well, and Imp was seen falling down the shaft as well, exploding on the ground below. Fallen dies shortly after, murdered by an upset carpenter, and Blade starts gibbering nonsense. It's probably a blessing the depot was destroyed early on in the madness. The caravaneers don't need to see more than the pile of dead bodies being pitched out of the front gate by angry dwarves.

Deon, Jules, and Yont have gone berserk. Thankfully they were in thier rooms when this happened, and I'm sending Merrick to deal with them since he has the most experience with killing angry dwarves. Another dwarf went stark raving mad. Sid killed Maul, so our military is dwindling by the day.

After the loss of Lod and Zorg to rage, Squib overrules the new Mayor Dunmer's orders and tells everyone a simple thing: Pack up, and get the hell out.

Spiritnets falls not to the enemy, but to it's own dwarves, and only those few soldiers still alive have the sense to end the insanity and tell everyone to just leave.

EDIT: And the first attempt at building a new fort ends with abandonment due to forgetting tools to dig and chop wood with. The follow-up team in the same location now also has to contend with war against both elves and humans. Clearly somebody in The Special Diamond pissed off a couple world leaders here.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35801 on: July 16, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »

Getting a crash when loading the default save for my fort, but the automatic backup works just fine and saves any progress I make during the time I play. Weird, and posted on Mantis.

Got the above-ground farms made and walled in, a roof has started being built to protect them from the ever-present kea invaders. Two fresh miners are harvesting hematite, dolomite, gabbro and jet (I like dark stones, so pretty) and the smelters operate non-stop to get steel made for a squad of crossbow users to help fend off flyers.

One axedwarf took a hell of a blow to the head from a zombie, breaking his upper spine but not tearing the nervous tissue. A short rest in the hospital, and a little stitching and binding and he is back training and killing kea with reckless abandon.

Hoping for a spring caravan, it would be nice to get some more plants to grow.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35802 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »

the ever-present kea invaders.

those damned birds, my hunters dont seem to kill them even when i have a whole supply of crossbows and bolts.

the apartment building which will take care of the dwarves is getting into shape, and the second floor is being built along with its walls. the keas are messing around and a rooster has been killed by bleeding from them.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35803 on: July 16, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »

those damned birds, my hunters dont seem to kill them even when i have a whole supply of crossbows and bolts.

the apartment building which will take care of the dwarves is getting into shape, and the second floor is being built along with its walls. the keas are messing around and a rooster has been killed by bleeding from them.
Kea are too small to be butchered so hunters ignore them.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35804 on: July 16, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »

Kea are too small to be butchered so hunters ignore them.
Magnificent bastards.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2385 2386 [2387] 2388 2389 ... 3842