Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2369 2370 [2371] 2372 2373 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098849 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35550 on: July 11, 2014, 09:23:06 pm »

First autumn. Merchants arrive. Halfway to the depot, they freak out, drop all their crap, and scamper up a tree. I don't think they know how to climb back down.

EDIT: I chopped down the tree and they walked over the depot without any horses or items. I got an "Expedition leader cancels trade at depot: Horrified" message, but he stayed at the depot and started trading again after a little bit. The traders didn't have anything left, though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:30:24 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35551 on: July 11, 2014, 11:48:54 pm »

Had this news from the outpost liaison...

Those bastards of the Immorality of Midnight have been kicking some ass lately!

And despite being a Goblin, Kusut Prestigewet has the title of "the Passionate Trench of Cruelty".  There's some serious innuendo going on there. ;)
Zasit Chastepaddled was mayor of the Oil of Moistness?  Yowza.

I have to say, for procedurally generated events/stories, this is great stuff.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:50:37 pm by vjek »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35552 on: July 12, 2014, 01:38:55 am »

The soon-to-be grand fortress of Nilzuntir, "Hammeranvil", has been founded on this day! An expedition consisting of 7 miners (one with low stats to cover farming/masonry/lumber/carpentry) has embarked upon a lone volcano, to exploit the minerals around here and prove itself worthy of becoming the mountainhome of the Kingdom! So far, we've dug deep into the mountain and have started carving out a layer to serve as our home, with magma forges one layer lower. Food is plentiful enough to last us at least until the spring. Things are looking up. This is bad, it means the fun's just going to come out in one big fun-splosion in a year or two. But, for now, things are going well.

(I'm also using 34.11 because I decided I'd wait until a few more releases and bugfixes to start a proper .40 fort.)
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35553 on: July 12, 2014, 09:30:24 am »

Posting my migrant path from earlier. They were able to punch through some zombies and make it inside. Not sure if this would have been possible in the new version yet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My miners are now opening the aquifer underbelly to make a generator tub for our electrical needs. I have plans for a mist generator in the dining hall, a mist generator in the barracks, and I need to power some pump to wash off invaders in my trap areas. Also, after I cleared out the goblin/cow in on hall, I re-openned it and another dwarf zombie immediately jumped inside again. The bait dog didn't survive this time.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35554 on: July 12, 2014, 09:55:04 am »

So human traders arrive and proceed to flee in terror from my refuse stockpile. Two human zombie corpses.... I guess I'll move refuse indoors.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35555 on: July 12, 2014, 10:08:28 am »

Watchbanners was founded on a glacier right next to Goblintown.  Suck it, greenies.

We have dug in, making our home in the first cavern.  Migrants have come running, realizing that we have discovered so many forms of useful metal.

Curiously, the caves seem empty of life.  There was a small band of troglodytes in the first cave, a depressing expanse of deep mud with no growth, but a deadly forgotten beast soon put paid to them.  With no way to path into the fort, it got bored and left.  Hey, Goat-of-the-Deadly-Spittle, go drool on the gobbos!

We received an invasion in our first year, which shocked everyone, but took no damage; endangered masons build quickly it seems.  The magma forges are up and running, and things seem to be moving as planned.

Unusual occurrences from .40 -
* food consumption seems to have slowed from .34, but beverage consumption seems quite a bit higher; having trouble building a booze surplus
* farming bug is annoying
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35556 on: July 12, 2014, 10:28:40 am »

Got the wall around the aboveground pasture for the water buffalo up, after averting near disaster- I almost built ramps instead of walls in places. An any case, it's up now, and the buffalo are safe now. The farm area was connected to the main entrance just beyond the trade depot, providing potential invaders to bypass the traps I plan to set up, so I dug a path to the kitchen areas from the farms, and walled off the original entrance. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a drawbridge up before then. It's planned to be in front of the depot, to protect any traders that are there. I may just skip making the traps and put the drawbridge in by winter. Next, I need to plan the well area. My embark is in a place where two rivers join together, so there is a gorge which a natural waterfall, so the plumbing will take water from one of the upper rivers, have it flow under the well room, and then drain into the gorge. I'll have to buy the rope, though, probably from the elves, or buy something from the caravan from home. Maybe make a chain? An any case, the fort is going along petty well, and it is now summer.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35557 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:02 am »

Watchbanners was founded on a glacier right next to Goblintown.  Suck it, greenies.

We have dug in, making our home in the first cavern.  Migrants have come running, realizing that we have discovered so many forms of useful metal.

Curiously, the caves seem empty of life.  There was a small band of troglodytes in the first cave, a depressing expanse of deep mud with no growth, but a deadly forgotten beast soon put paid to them.  With no way to path into the fort, it got bored and left.  Hey, Goat-of-the-Deadly-Spittle, go drool on the gobbos!

We received an invasion in our first year, which shocked everyone, but took no damage; endangered masons build quickly it seems.  The magma forges are up and running, and things seem to be moving as planned.

* food consumption seems to have slowed from .34, but beverage consumption seems quite a bit higher; having trouble building a booze surplus

Are you sure about the food thing? I timed a dwarf and it took a fraction of a second on 80 fps.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:36:48 am by Broseph Stalin »

Urist McFrustum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35558 on: July 12, 2014, 10:49:58 am »

My first 40.02 fort was so weird, now it's *retired*... I've been besieged by a necromancer 2 seasons in, so I walled myself and started crafting iron equipments for my 2 fresh recruits. They ended up marrying each other and sparing every days before going to bed. It was my first experience against an undead army and it ended up badly, I sent the 2 recruits on the necromancer (accompanied by 4 zombies) and they both ended up impaled brutally with their baby by a spear holder zombie.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35559 on: July 12, 2014, 11:46:00 am »

Are you sure about the food thing? I timed a dwarf and it took a fraction of a second on 80 fps.
I think he's not referring to speed of consumption, but the overall rate of consumption.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35560 on: July 12, 2014, 11:58:46 am »

Welp, went back to Spiritnets after I got my rig back (I'm positive something's loose in there,) And redid the work I had assigned and decided  to tear up the plants for use instead of just demolishing them digging a ditch. Trame has now attained enough skill to consistently make masterful beds, shields, and other such items, and masterful meals are now common place. I've also decided to make a minor display of wealth and build a small golden bridge, and replace the drawbridge with one of gold as well.

EDIT: I'm getting the odd reports of dogs and dorfs being attacked (nonfatally or even anything beyond basically shoving them out of the way) randomly by the militia. I'm not entirely sure but it appears some soldiers may bully other dwarves if they've got a bit of a mean streak now.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35561 on: July 12, 2014, 12:53:56 pm »

Just chased away 2 stuck giant thrists and finished my apartment area.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35562 on: July 12, 2014, 12:55:04 pm »

The ghost of a hostile dwarf is causing job interruptions. My dwarves are trying to kill it to no avail.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35563 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »

Just got a lovely combat log against a crundle horde of a crundle being punched in the neck and the injured part being driven into the upper body, which became an unrecognizable mass. I love the new combat logs now, and killing things is exactly what my new sergeant needs since she's a hero who slew two night creatures during world gen.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35564 on: July 12, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »

I've filled my dining hall with skeletal corpses to toughen up my dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 2369 2370 [2371] 2372 2373 ... 3842