Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2368 2369 [2370] 2371 2372 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099206 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35535 on: July 11, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »

this was my first artifact in DF2014. I don't how to feel about this.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35536 on: July 11, 2014, 12:31:35 pm »

I keep giggling to myself when I see people posting about missing Therapist and tilesets. I've never used a tileset or Therapist, and though it was a little hard to adjust to life without DFHack, it wasn't a crippling change.

Honestly, why does anyone use tilesets? ASCii is fine for me.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35537 on: July 11, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »

I quite like Jolly Bastion, just for the change of palette. I'm a little disappointed that not every ascii symbol is still an ascii symbol, because it makes dealing with minecarts a huge pain.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35538 on: July 11, 2014, 01:01:23 pm »

I use Therapist, but dom't miss it very much. I definitely miss DFHack though. As for tilesets, ASCII or taffer. Don't really use graphics much at all.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35539 on: July 11, 2014, 01:14:35 pm »

I really miss prospect all, but as this release become more stable I am going to go prospect mountains and potential sites in adventure mode.

Right now I embarked someplace randomly. High magma table (magmasea at z level = 90, 50 layers below the fort.) Iron ore and marble...

I plan on breaching HFS to see what happen in the world.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35540 on: July 11, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

I miss DF hack's autokill feature that lets me kill creatures that are blocking more interesting beasts from appearing.

for example, there a group of troglodytes hanging on a wall jerking each other off and I would really like them to go away so I can perhaps get a giant cave spider to spawn.

EDIT: THE FORT HAS OBTAINED RED BEANS!!!!!

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:33:05 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35541 on: July 11, 2014, 01:57:47 pm »

I miss DF hack's autokill feature that lets me kill creatures that are blocking more interesting beasts from appearing.

for example, there a group of troglodytes hanging on a wall jerking each other off and I would really like them to go away so I can perhaps get a giant cave spider to spawn.
That happened to me. Then a forgotten beast showed up, murdered half of them, and got killed by one which promptly bled out. Then 40.02 hit and I haven't looked to see what was going on in the caves since then, although I think I saw a large rat running around down there after the trogs left.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35542 on: July 11, 2014, 06:53:21 pm »

I saw on the units list my smith was drowning, I zoomed to him and saw that he was at the bottom of a murky pool I thought he'd fallen climbing a tree but then he pulled himself up. Then he went back in, then back out, then back in. He was bored waiting for my metalworks to be set up and decided to go swimming.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35543 on: July 11, 2014, 07:35:35 pm »

I think I embarked on a goblin campground.

Every now and then a bit a smoke spawns and disperses over there as if from campfires or something, but none of the recruits I sent to scout it out bumped into any stealth gobs. The game crashed soon after I got my wall set up, so I've no idea if or how any goblin invaders would interact with it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:37:08 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35544 on: July 11, 2014, 08:10:13 pm »

Wait, what?
Fur walls?
GOBLINS ARE BETTER AT WARPING REALITY THAN DWARVES?
Dwarves can create walls of ice that are immune to magma and dragonfire.
Goblins can create walls OUT OF FUR.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35545 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:48 pm »

I got one of those yesterday. The walls were cave spider silk, I think it was a war camp because there was one tent full of goblins and one tent full of dwarves and all of them fucking hated the people who decided to live on their killing field.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35546 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:39 pm »

The plan: Leave them alone long enough to KILL THEM WITH MAGMA.
Why?
Because magma.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35547 on: July 11, 2014, 08:27:55 pm »

Toady did mention getting temporary war camps with tents working in the devlog.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35548 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:34 pm »

My bait halls have trapped various unlife in DFVD.

Two hallways have a human zombie and a bait zombie. The middle one still has that dwarf husk. Looks like a zombie hand crawled through evil ash on its way in, because hall four has a "Buck Rabbit, opposed to life (chained)". I'll need to flood that one before clearing it, thank god for aquifers. The last one had a gobzom chasing a migrant cow for a while, but the militia got there in time for clearance after opening the door. The gobzom got a nearby Ram, but the bait dog is still alive.

Speaking of life, looks like the best way to get migrants in is to open the doors, station every dwarf inside your main stairwell, and conscript-station all incoming migrants to the same spot. Eventually, the migrants will "Punch Through" smaller zombie blockades, and 5/9 migrant dwarfs made it inside this way. Will post pix when possible, but The Cheerful Land of Ghouls is up to 104 dwarves now.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35549 on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »

Ngbezo Horrormenaced and his band of thieves have attacked fledgling Hopefulslings. Our militia consists of one dwarf with a woodcutters axe.  Seven unarmed thugs and three archers. Three thugs had the misfortune of being on the bridge when we raised it and launched into the fortress. The broken limbs and screaming agony hampered their efforts at self defense and they were slaughtered. Ngbezo circles the fort while three of his cronies haunt the entrance. We've sealed the inner doors but opened the drawbridge briefly for them to view their mangled kin. Their eyes filled with tears. If we had a proper military I would have used that moment to send them out but for now it's just taunting for the sake of it. Ngbezo still circles. The magma cistern hasn't filled yet but trees have been burned for an impromptu metalworks and silver war hammers and copper spears are being produced. If he won't relent we'll rally a militia and kill the two nearest the gate and leave them for the crows. If that doesn't send the message across then we'll take the fight to him. I've shown all the men the bodies, I want them to steel themselves for the coming storm.

Psychological warfare rules.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:21:07 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 2368 2369 [2370] 2371 2372 ... 3842