Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2365 2366 [2367] 2368 2369 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099560 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35490 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »

That's a really awesome example of organic gameplay and whatnot, your fortress could end up as the last stronghold of the dwarves against the ravening heathens and whatnot. My first embark was one of those confusing ones where the conditions weren't really good, and there was a collapse on embark and steam and FPS-killing cave-ins and stuff, so really, it's today that I strike the Earth.

Finding a hill to plant myself upon, with sufficient trees and stuff, is a pain. Especially without the LNP to remove Aquifers to me, I'll have to deal with them or find the seven squares that don't have it in the world. And that aren't near Necro Towers. I've had my fill of that last edition, even an Evil environment embark can't quite compare. Point is, I may have to abandon my aboveground plan, it really isn't the intended part of the game from what I can tell. May have to live decent and under dirt and rock like civilized people. Or free up some embark points to take tons of logs along...

Removing aquifers is pretty simple actually just remove the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35491 on: July 10, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »

Thanks, I may give that a go but without much understanding of how things work, I'm leery of adding or removing almost anything. I'm sure some trial-and-error will fix that.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35492 on: July 10, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »

As far as I can tell, only old plants provide things when taken from when designated to be gathered.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35493 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »

As far as I can tell, only old plants provide things when taken from when designated to be gathered.

The new plants yield fruits (blueberries, cranberries, etc.) when the little bush, when examined with (k) shows something like "blueberry bush, blueberry leaves, blueberries". It also changes from the spade symbol to a % when fruit appears on it. Then you can designate it to be gathered, and actually get something other than stacks of leaves from a plant.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35494 on: July 10, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »

Not so, my last few forts have only grown pale millet hemp and broadbeans all collected via herbalism.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35495 on: July 10, 2014, 03:16:40 pm »

Decided to set up a new .40 fort, because I can take a couple of bugs, and who knows, maybe I'll end up finding some new ones.
I made a big mistake.
I made a very large world, with lots of civs..... I think my FPS is around 30 and constantly spiking/dropping. Maybe I should make a new, smaller world....
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35496 on: July 10, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »

New fort (after finding out autosaves make crashes), located nearby 2 pits, an at-war goblin civ, and around 12 towers nearby, with another 40 or so present in the world.

2nd Hematite, early summer, first year.

The dead walk, hide while you can!

So I think, oh crap. My 3 axedwarves just started training, and won't be able to handle this. Begin the process of clearing the bridge away, in preparation for it being raised.

Check units list, see the number of Others went up to 9. Odd.

Zoom to the necromancer, find her standing next to a human bowman zombie.

Only a single necromancer, and a single zombie?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35497 on: July 10, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »

Only a single necromancer, and a single zombie?

If that's all you got, then count yourself lucky. That idiot thought you'd be easy pickings or was otherwise just passing through.

Migrants come in Sandstone, just after the caravan leaves; not many, sadly, but three, Affi, Holt, and Sorc, show promise and are armed with sword, crossbow, and spear respectively and assigned to a new squad (save Holt who was assigned to one of two marksdwarf units.) As more dwarves arrive I'm going to begin adding more to existing units.

Come at me elfs! I'm waiting!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35498 on: July 10, 2014, 03:41:18 pm »

I haven't even bothered to raise the bridge, or send out my troops. I'm waiting for the necro to make a dumb move first, I'm not liking the bow-zombie with her.

Not sure if they will be a threat or not, but I really don't want to find out.

EDIT: The cherry trees in bloom are dropping their leaves... its gorgeous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The white clouds that look like cave-in dust are the flowers falling, and the white areas are where the flowers cover the ground...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:44:36 pm by Lich180 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35499 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:23 pm »

I haven't even bothered to raise the bridge, or send out my troops. I'm waiting for the necro to make a dumb move first, I'm not liking the bow-zombie with her.

Not sure if they will be a threat or not, but I really don't want to find out.

Chances are the dwarves will fail miserably if a fight happens. Without a few months of training/regular exposure to death, things like corpses (which I assume includes zombies) horrify dwarves so much they can't do anything.

EDIT: My newly elected mayor Japa has some actual sense. He demanded (I see it more as requested) a gold door for the mayoral office. The office needs a door anyway, and we have a good quantity of gold. Win win! Oh, and some of my current resident's parents arrived.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35500 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:56 pm »

Well they scared off the necromancer, bu the bowman zombie promptly kicked in all 3 of their heads through bronze helms.

Restarted, and my mason decided he was gonna climb up trees, and fell out of a tree, splattering himself all over the damn place. Looks like they are being scared out of the trees by ravens.

Trees are the new waterfalls.

EDIT: And another one fell into a pond from a tree, and drowned.

This is hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:13:20 pm by Lich180 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35501 on: July 10, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »

Bowdwarf captain Perat has been missing for a week. It turns out the moron wanted to fish in the caverns and instead of using tha painstakingly built walkway, she decided the spore trees would be better to get to the cavern shore.

She fell into the cavern lake and drowned, taking a quiver and bow with her. Just as well, smelted a mess of tetrahedrite and bone production is going into ammunition now. Spiritnets will need all the bolts it can get for the coming splinter-laden shitstorm.

EDIT: Seems that according to my miners, Perat has somehow drowned! Oh noes! Alright, let's get that courtesy coffin and slab made. it also seems elite wrestlers will now dominate militaries officially (in that it will likely be the first combat skill next to fighter and discipline to reach legendary.) Fitting since dwarves seem to favor grapples now.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35502 on: July 10, 2014, 04:29:05 pm »

One thing I have to admit is wonderful for above-ground forts is the new way wood works. I struggled to budget for 50 logs since wooden buildings are heavily resource-intensive, only to find each big tall treesplosion we cause yields just as many. I have literally hundreds of logs from one novice woodcutter's effort and half a season's work, this is awesome.

Except that the dwarves have suddenly forgot the concept of moving items out of the way before starting a project. Something they seemed to deal with in the previous version okay. Like, they'll stop constructing the wooden floor... because there's a log on that spot. Hm. I think we could kill two elves with one stone here, somehow.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:31:35 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35503 on: July 10, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »

One thing I have to admit is wonderful for above-ground forts is the new way wood works. I struggled to budget for 50 logs since wooden buildings are heavily resource-intensive, only to find each big tall treesplosion we cause yields just as many. I have literally hundreds of logs from one notice woodcutter's effort and half a season's work, this is awesome.

Except that the dwarves have suddenly forgot the concept of moving items out of the way before starting a project. Something they seemed to deal with in the previous version okay. Like, they'll stop constructing the wooden floor... because there's a log on that spot. Hm. I think we could kill two elves with one stone here, somehow.

I agree on the surface trees. Soooo nice.  :) On the project thing it may be due to the logs being already selected for use to build other floors or a wall, meaning that it's already labeled for a task and the dwarf can't do anything about it.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35504 on: July 10, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »

my game just crashed when we got our first caravan.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2365 2366 [2367] 2368 2369 ... 3842