Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2364 2365 [2366] 2367 2368 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099560 times)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35475 on: July 09, 2014, 11:57:45 pm »

The SW corner of your map looks like of my earlier worlds i genned.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35476 on: July 10, 2014, 12:02:27 am »

NOOOO! My fort with the wooden fort completely finished by fall of the 1st year has fallen to the evilness of crashes! It was all done, and work had begun on making the entrance safer and fortifcations on the second floor. CURSE THE BUGS!
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35477 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:10 am »

EDIT: Maybe it's just because I've been using tilesets so long, but I think the ASCII graphics have their own beauty to them, especially with a broad color range.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Indeed. I may just steal a generated DF map like this one for a forum game some time.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #35478 on: July 10, 2014, 02:43:34 am »

My last fort didn't last as long as anticipated. While the circumstances of our randomly assigned position we were to call "Fistfountain" can only be described as optimal (a treeless, aquifer and saltwater ridden, frozen beach; with default embark equipment + one watermelon) we had little trouble. while we do know the secret of getting through aquifers with some ease (frozen aquifers are very minable) we did not manage to get very far since both miners decided to encase themselves in ice after finishing the first two layers. But come summer and we even got some migrants! (whatever they wanted, considering people still slept on the floor and starving in anticipation of the next harvest of five plumhelmets) Among them was, together with four Bowyers and the obligatory Soap Maker, to our very joy another miner including pick, who dug out another layer in no time. Then Autumn came. I'm actually not sure how people could tell, considering how the concept of a sun was a distant memory at best. Either way, a few days later another dwarf appeared, outside the seasonal schedule. The man was odd; he clearly was a Fish Dissector, and yet...surrounded by the undead, apparently. The Necromancer immediately laid siege to our glorious fortress (a single small cave and a hole outside filled with frozen miners), and while he was still waiting at the edge of our area we were sure that we would surely survive in some way with the three wooden planks from our cart and about 20 pieces of ice.

But then the crashes came (everything fine until the necromancer arrives), bringing us to an untimely end before we could beat the necromancer in an elaborate drawbridge accident, and making me revert to df2012 because god dammit this was such a waste : (
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:50:02 am by Rainforce »
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35479 on: July 10, 2014, 03:55:46 am »

Down to 30 beards, 2 of whom are kids. Of my adults, 15 have at least one kill. My most deadly dwarf has 9 kills, 4 of whom are elves and 4 of which are elf horses. :)

Most dwarves with kills have 1 or 2, but when the 1 is a forgotten beast...you can forgive that. I still have a few who have complained of the draft lately (since all dwarves are serving) but no tantrumming at least. All dwarves are enlisted.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35480 on: July 10, 2014, 04:43:56 am »

I sent my militia commander to the caves and he jumped to a lake and drowned...
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35481 on: July 10, 2014, 06:20:56 am »

A recently arrived dwarf named Spase went fey and made Taremakig, "Fatestretched," and it is.... Highly disturbing. I thought I'd never know what killed the previous occupants of Spiritnets. I was wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. It's serrated edges and gem encrusted pommel cannot distract one from the horror inlayed in the fuller of the blade.

A mountain titan had attacked and killed nearly everyone in the fort my dorfs currently call home, forcing the survivors to wait for it to leave to remove the dead and whatever was still useful they could move quickly. And the sword's name is quite ominous. Unless this monster perished sometime in the last 110 years, it will come back eventually.

In other news, the sword will become Brosep's badge of office as captain of the guard and possibly mayor, depending on his ability to hold the office. He currently leads a group of dwarves from his migrant wave as the enforcers of law and order with thier training swords of splintery beating-ness. And the liaison who visited last month informed me of a recent mayoral election at a nearby major dwarven settlement. And it was the same as the one last year! So that stuff is plainly working as intended, which is really nice.

EDIT: Never mind on that sword. Was about to save after labeling my baron selection, but the game crashed. Whatever caused it is indeterminate since it didn't happen the second time around. The sword was still ominous though.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35482 on: July 10, 2014, 06:51:45 am »

That's awesome.
I often, when adventuring, find out exactly what wiped out the dwarves - often, it's a forgotten beast SLEEPING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FORT.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35483 on: July 10, 2014, 07:24:12 am »

My fortress is besieged by kea and my dwarves are ignoring them though the birds themselves are panicked. Given that Kea are one of those animals too small to butcher I think horror might have something to do with creature size.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35484 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:31 am »

Construction more or less has been going uninterrupted but it appears sometimes the relationship screen will cause the game to crash when accessed every so often. Current plans call for clearing the depot of leather, the odd gem, and cloth, which means dedicated workspace is needed.

The future Baron's suit is nearly finished as well, needing a dining room and a few cabinets/chests to be complete. Also got a mood, but this time it was a rather disappointing gabbro figurine. In response to this, I have issued the fortress guard a mix of lethal weaponry instead.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35485 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:31 am »

Construction more or less has been going uninterrupted but it appears sometimes the relationship screen will cause the game to crash when accessed every so often. Current plans call for clearing the depot of leather, the odd gem, and cloth, which means dedicated workspace is needed.

The future Baron's suit is nearly finished as well, needing a dining room and a few cabinets/chests to be complete. Also got a mood, but this time it was a rather disappointing gabbro figurine. In response to this, I have issued the fortress guard a mix of lethal weaponry instead.

After a bit of testing the crash on relationship screen isn't random, it's 100% of the time but only for certain dwarves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35486 on: July 10, 2014, 07:40:55 am »

Well it is random for some dwarves. I checked with the first dwarf who caused it to crash and the second time it behaved normally.
After a bit of testing the crash on relationship screen isn't random, it's 100% of the time but only for certain dwarves.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35487 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:46 am »

Well it is random for some dwarves. I checked with the first dwarf who caused it to crash and the second time it behaved normally.

That's strange, every time I have it crash on a dwarf it always causes a crash and if it doesn't it never does.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35488 on: July 10, 2014, 10:43:03 am »

I love the living world thing now.

As of Galena, My civ is apparently at war with the elves! I didn't even do anything either! :D Unless, y'know, cutting down trees in front of them was a factor.

EDIT: Also there appears to be something odd happening with animal training for combat, as I have a zone designated with dogs pastured in it ready to train but it's spamming no creature being available. Strange considering it worked fine before.

EDIT II: The war already goes poorly for The Special Diamond. My liaison has reported numerous groups of refugees fleeing from the advancing elvish army lead by their queen or princess, as well as his oldest daughter being named the new queen of The Special Diamond following two fortresses being conquered (instead of a report of the residents fleeing,) suggesting that the king has been slain in battle with no heirs old enough to take the throne and the capital has fallen. As a show of force, I'm destroying the nature around my fortress, leveling all the desert lime, durian, and date fruit trees. They will come here eventually should peace not be settled soon.

It is inevitable.

I'm upping my population and child caps. My hope is that after the caravan leaves, the refugees will flock to Spiritnets seeking asylum come next year, and with them I can build an army to face off against the elves. Copper, steel, and iron will clash with wood, beast, and more wood, and only one faction can hold Spiritnets, and I won't let the elves take it without paying a price in blood.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35489 on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:58 pm »

That's a really awesome example of organic gameplay and whatnot, your fortress could end up as the last stronghold of the dwarves against the ravening heathens and whatnot. My first embark was one of those confusing ones where the conditions weren't really good, and there was a collapse on embark and steam and FPS-killing cave-ins and stuff, so really, it's today that I strike the Earth.

Finding a hill to plant myself upon, with sufficient trees and stuff, is a pain. Especially without the LNP to remove Aquifers to me, I'll have to deal with them or find the seven squares that don't have it in the world. And that aren't near Necro Towers. I've had my fill of that last edition, even an Evil environment embark can't quite compare. Point is, I may have to abandon my aboveground plan, it really isn't the intended part of the game from what I can tell. May have to live decent and under dirt and rock like civilized people. Or free up some embark points to take tons of logs along...
Pages: 1 ... 2364 2365 [2366] 2367 2368 ... 3842