Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2363 2364 [2365] 2366 2367 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099558 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35460 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

So two things I've learned so far:

Goblin corpses will actually now intimidate incomers,

and build butcher shops out of the line of sight of other animals.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35461 on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:45 pm »

Now that you bring it up that's actually resulted in a problem. My two dueling masters both value martial prowess, so much so in fact they won't give up the barracks to their squad mates so I have two badasses and eight nobodies.

Don't worry, they will train thier squadmates. But they'll also spar very frequently with eachother since they're of somewhat comparable skill levels. Hell, I have a three way sparring match going on right now.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35462 on: July 09, 2014, 04:25:28 pm »

Don't worry, they will train thier squadmates. But they'll also spar very frequently with eachother since they're of somewhat comparable skill levels. Hell, I have a three way sparring match going on right now.

I was doing the two man training groups to stimulate sparring but they refuse to give it a rest. Luckilly it appears two man squads are no longer necessary.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35463 on: July 09, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »

I was doing the two man training groups to stimulate sparring but they refuse to give it a rest.

Like I said, don't worry. one of them will get sleepy eventually and then you can drop in some new squaddies. Five dwarf squads can become competent fighters now given roughly 4-8 months, though until they toughen up mentally they may drop to their knees if they see a particularly gruesome kill.

In other news, my recently arrived and assigned Sheriff Brosep was elected mayor before even getting in the fort. Not sure how I feel about the mayor also being in charge of issuing beatings for production violations.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35464 on: July 09, 2014, 08:06:20 pm »

Not even a week into Heavymetal, a “Flame Haunt” shows up on the missing list. I haven’t even dug below the river level yet!

This place is getting stranger by the day.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35465 on: July 09, 2014, 08:08:50 pm »

Outpost Kelidos, "Metalcalled," 25th Timber, Year 125

As my first fort in the new version, things are going pretty well. This is also the first time I have breached an aquifer, which went surprisingly well. The fort rests in a nice intersection of two rivers. Our lands are all but cut off on most sides by the river, and a wall was constructed on the one remaining front. After taking a while to set up the first workshops, stockpiles, meeting hall and dorm, we're looking to expand our amenities.

I'm actually looking to use the aquifer as a water source, reserving a whole layer for plumbing. I want wells plentiful among my residential areas and some waterfalls where possible. Things are tough without Dwarf Therapist, I'm not sure if there's a compatible version yet. I hope to expand this fort into something truly successful so I can explore all of the new content and some of the old stuff I have missed.

Speaking of new content, a kobold thief came by. My two military dwarves chased him around for a while. He skipped across trees and ran all over until eventually jumping into the north river and falling 2 z-levels down the waterfall. He came out unscathed and climbed back out of the water onto the cliff face next to the falls. That was a few months ago, and he's still just hanging there. I'm trying to come up with a crossbow to knock him down. I suspect I'm going to get a few more stubborn invaders hanging in weird places by the end of this fort...

EDIT: I, too, have some missing Flare Brutes and assorted cave critters on my list. I did breach the first cavern level, but long after they showed up.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:10:23 pm by Mentalpatient87 »
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35466 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:30 pm »

More crazy shit happens at Heavymetal! A thrips crashes into a tree. At least, that’s the only explanation I can think of. The impact was strong enough to rip off a wing and mangle the corpse.

It seems like any creatures that die end up “missing” until the body is found, even if they are not members of the fort.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35467 on: July 09, 2014, 08:36:20 pm »

Almost the last month of spring and I almost have a fully done wooden fort with working drawbridge in the update.
Who needs stone castles anymore.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35468 on: July 09, 2014, 08:37:11 pm »

Not sure if this is a new discovery but necromancers CANNOT raise pulped undead. That means if you destroy the brain the bastards go down and stay down. Unfortunately decapitation and dismemberment do not suffice. If however you manage to cut off both hands AND the head and any other CAN_GRASP parts the body dies though the dismembered head and arms can still be risen.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35469 on: July 09, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »

That was an added thing when Toady was talking about the things in the update some time ago. Pulped things not being raised that is.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35470 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »

Yea, I think in one of his posts he expressed desire to "fix" the infinite zombie respawn, so that's probably implemented now. The bigger question is: "Did he fix dust husks too?"
And on a side note, my dwarves decaptated a mud-triceratops (.34), but the titan's head has not reanimated yet, and it's been a couple months. Maybe it doesn't have CAN_GRASP ??

In my current fort, a human wagons arrived when I was out chopping wood. Almost right on their heels, a goblin seige spawned. All dwarves made it inside fine, but some humans and goblins were slain. This led to an eventual zombie spiral for the remaining goblins (do zombie spirals still happen in .40?) But eventually an Evil Ash cloud spawned right on top of them. The surviving husked goblins then fled the map for some reason, I guess they were finally broke. Now, there is a singleton zombie outside that is covered in ash.

The merchants? They actually fled the map just fine after we seized all their stuff. The last wagon made it off another map edge just as the zombies were closing in. Now it's time to go back to finishing the generator with all that wood... I may try to make a automatic washing station to try to clean the ash off future invaders ...

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #35471 on: July 09, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »

I am designing a Bridge-a-pult to fling kittens at elven caravans, hopefully it makes them flee in horror, because we don't want them around here. I am also hoping they abandon their wagon when they run off.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35472 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:32 pm »

Yea, I think in one of his posts he expressed desire to "fix" the infinite zombie respawn, so that's probably implemented now. The bigger question is: "Did he fix dust husks too?"
And on a side note, my dwarves decaptated a mud-triceratops (.34), but the titan's head has not reanimated yet, and it's been a couple months. Maybe it doesn't have CAN_GRASP ??

In my current fort, a human wagons arrived when I was out chopping wood. Almost right on their heels, a goblin seige spawned. All dwarves made it inside fine, but some humans and goblins were slain. This led to an eventual zombie spiral for the remaining goblins (do zombie spirals still happen in .40?) But eventually an Evil Ash cloud spawned right on top of them. The surviving husked goblins then fled the map for some reason, I guess they were finally broke. Now, there is a singleton zombie outside that is covered in ash.

The merchants? They actually fled the map just fine after we seized all their stuff. The last wagon made it off another map edge just as the zombies were closing in. Now it's time to go back to finishing the generator with all that wood... I may try to make a automatic washing station to try to clean the ash off future invaders ...

Zombies have a tendency to pulp those they kill which ironically means the only people on the map who don't come back as zombies may be the ones who were killed by zombies.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35473 on: July 09, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »

Whoa, someone got a fey mood, and as soon as she started her construction my framerate went to nothing. Like, one frame every 3-4 seconds. Small world, short history, high numbers of civilizations and sites.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35474 on: July 09, 2014, 11:21:26 pm »

As it happened, both embarks I started on DF 2012 just before the new update dropped were right next to Necromancer towers. The UI, uh, quite needs to make a bigger deal out of that, considering they are considerably more deadly than Goblin armies ever could be, and they attack much faster. As in, possibly before your first supply caravan, you could be facing an ambush. Of reanimated beings. With an ambushing, hidden Necromancer who flees as soon as he sees your guys and thus makes locating him, much less taking him out, practically impossible. And infinite hordes of your own dead rise against you.

Often without the game bothering to even ping you with an alert; I found out the Undead were in my primary 'access lift' stairs only AS it was happening. Needless to say, my first embark didn't last long. I hadn't even hooked up the drawbridge in the entrance, two zombie horses walked in and effortlessly slaughtered my seven settler non-military dorfs.

Second time we held the line a bit better, purely due to having more time, but again I completely unwittingly embarked into a Necro area. In fact, I practically camped on the guy's front lawn and challenged him to a fight without knowing it. Despite some valiant efforts, that fell too. Mainly because 2014 was out and I wanted to play that instead, dangit.

As I type this my first standard world is cooking. I plan to find a good, well-wooded hill and embark for a human-style town of wood and stone buildings aboveground, just because it sounds neat to try it. A trick I saw from others who cared to try it, that I'll be doing, is getting the high ground then removing all the ramps except like three, connected only via drawbridge, making it practically as safe as if it were buried underground, minus flying enemies or bowmen. Hrm.

The building plan will be roughly like a frontier fort, starting with a small central secured building and expanding out in rings of construction/farm fields. That, plus the hill strategy, may give me a decent chance to make it work. I think an early emphasis on crossbows might be good too. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Maybe it's just because I've been using tilesets so long, but I think the ASCII graphics have their own beauty to them, especially with a broad color range.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:26:36 pm by HunterBlackLuna »
Pages: 1 ... 2363 2364 [2365] 2366 2367 ... 3842