Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2356 2357 [2358] 2359 2360 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972476 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35355 on: July 06, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »

Make it so that only people with the same job interact frequently, making only miners get close bonds with other miners.
Have it so the farmers, who will be also hauling food between each sector, are desensitized in some way. They will be the only ones who will have a good chance of becoming friends with a person who doesn't share their job.
Have a military that never interacts with the populace (except the farmers).
BAM. Any tantrum spirals will only cripple one part of your fort.
This will work, at least in theory, and will be challenging to pull off.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35356 on: July 06, 2014, 02:10:05 pm »

APPROVED
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35357 on: July 06, 2014, 02:15:37 pm »

A dragon killing an elf and a dwarf killing a ghost? Yeah, that's awesome artwork, you probably wouldn't care if it were a Nerf Hammer that the guy made, the art work is worth it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35358 on: July 06, 2014, 02:43:53 pm »

how the fuck did that dwarf kill a ghost? The only way that's possible is if a dwarf got into a fell mood and took the ghost with it.

A dragon killing an elf is standard fare though.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35359 on: July 06, 2014, 03:36:53 pm »

how the fuck did that dwarf kill a ghost? The only way that's possible is if a dwarf got into a fell mood and took the ghost with it.

A dragon killing an elf is standard fare though.

My guess is the dwarf was a ghost when the artifact was made. Coffins and slabs always reference "ghostly" dwarf x

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35360 on: July 06, 2014, 05:07:57 pm »

Freaking ambushes. How on earth do they manage to defeat six military dwarves, two of which are high master hammerdwarves with bronze war hammers and bronze helms?

We just barely made it to spring of the second year and BOOM! Fort screwed, because some jerkass elite goblin strike force decided to show up. Game over. Dammit.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35361 on: July 06, 2014, 06:53:53 pm »

Freaking ambushes. How on earth do they manage to defeat six military dwarves, two of which are high master hammerdwarves with bronze war hammers and bronze helms?

We just barely made it to spring of the second year and BOOM! Fort screwed, because some jerkass elite goblin strike force decided to show up. Game over. Dammit.

Did they just have helms? It's rarely worth it to engage the enemy without fully armored dwarves. If one of the invaders scores one lucky hit to basically anywhere their combat effectiveness is immediately cut in half.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35362 on: July 06, 2014, 07:11:40 pm »

Really, you can't make this stuff up.

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35363 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:26 pm »

The Cheerful Land of Ghouls may finally possess a solid defense against the eventual zombie hordes. I've spent time scheming some way to drain the surface. Hopefully finding a solution, I've sent a group called RabbitRush to go off and test the idea: use an automatic bait-hallway to isolate zombies and drain the surface. The hallways should be on the same Z-Level as the zombies, so hills were required. Also desired: some grace period to build a roof over the wagon, and some backup saves.

The idea is pretty simple:
Spoiler: BaitHall #5 (click to show/hide)

Use a bait animal to lure zombies inside. The hallway will seal behind zombies as they step on a pressure plate. For bonus points, I also added a retracting-bridge-pit so that zombies can't stand directly in front of the sealing bridge.
Spoiler: BaitHall #1 (click to show/hide)

I use rabbits as bait because of the high birthrate, the lack of parts when they butcher, and the reduced threat of zombified bait. Also, those plates above are not linked to the adjacent bridges. Since the plates automatically reset, they must be linked to another location that can "savestate" the closing condition and keep the bridges closed.
Spoiler: SaveState Room (click to show/hide)

The water room fills up when anybody steps into the bait hallway. This activates a water plate and keeps the bait hall sealed so I can clean out the zombies and add new bait. It only opens back up when I pull a lever to drain the associated water room.
Spoiler: Other Controls (click to show/hide)

The end result: Hall #1 is armed, #2 is almost done, #3 has a evil ash dwarf husk, and Halls #4 and #5 were able to correct their original issue of mismatched wiring. I hope this design will allow us to bait-and-drain zombies off of the surface a little at a time. Testing seems pretty good. Up to 80+ dwarves now, so it should be a good ride ahead :)

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35364 on: July 06, 2014, 09:48:32 pm »

Just broke my first real siege.

While the gobbos had "sieged" once before, that sad attempt was just 14 Lashers and an Axegoblin leading them.  Crushed without effort - did not even raise the bridge.  They were quiet for a couple years after that.  Then it came, in Pagegrips' sixth year, shortly after having been elevated to county.  Over 100 Invaders (including mounts), approaching from all sides of the map.  War Jabberers, Cave Crocs, Blind Cave Bears.  Some elites including a Master Lasher.  And the worse part - Giant Cave Swallows.  There was even an Elite Bowman on one of the flying mounts.  That has got to be cheating.

I went full melee this fort.  Hunting was sparse and I didn't want to bother setting up an Archery range for training.  Ooops.  Two civilians got caught before they could make it back inside.  Pagegrips' first casualties.

Out went my fortress defense - 4 Axe Lords, 3 each of Spearmasters, Hammer Lords and Swordmasters.  My last squad of 4 more Axe Lords I held back behind the curtain wall to deal with any flyers that landed in the open courtyard.  Across the bridge is an open paved road, 9 x 20.  Here I stationed my warriors, but they did not stay still long.

I lucked out.  The Elite Bowman just flapped around on his Giant Cave Swallow in place, well out of range of the action.  47 kills later, the Siege was broken and the invaders sent scattering.  4 Speargoblin stragglers on their big birds flapped around keeping me from inactivating the Civilian alert.  Then I remembered my Captain of the Guard had a crossbow, so I called him up.  He was too slow picking up his gear and the last of the Cave Swallows was bashed to bits before he could fire a single bolt.  No injuries to the warriors.

53 total kills in exchange for 18 year old Bomrek Stokedlance, Tanner and 24 year old Mistem Cobaltdeaths, Blacksmith.  They had been hauling stone from my quarry.  Their deaths are because I didn't want to mess up my fortress design with a tunnel out to where I was collecting coal and limestone. I guess I should rethink my designs.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35365 on: July 06, 2014, 11:27:05 pm »

Despite losing 4/5 of my beards, Ownrag is doing surprisingly well. Only a few minor tantrums until I was finally able to slab and/or bury the ghostly ones, and no one is less than content despite having miasmas in multiple places in the fort and having 30/150 of my dwarves still alive. I still have five FBs down in the caverns, but haven't gone too far down there yet.

Oh, yeah, and everybody is in the military despite their preferences regarding that line of work. A few get miffed when I have them kill random chained goblins in my arena, but no one ever actually does anything more than complain about it. I'm shocked. Maybe they're desensitized at this point?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35366 on: July 07, 2014, 05:50:00 am »

Caught a full-sized dragon! :D
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35367 on: July 07, 2014, 06:15:34 am »

Okay, weirdest announcement ever. I'm trying to figure this out:

Naked mole dog has given birth to naked mole dog puppy.

I don't have any naked mole dogs. I zoomed to the location, and it's on a cavern level, in an area I haven't explored. Complete darkness. Is it maybe that the naked mole dog fought against a forgotten beast? Neither of them show up in my pets/livestock tab or my others tab, and it showed up in green, like my usual (random animal) has given birth to (random animal baby) announcements.

Fort update: down to 31 dwarves, trolls destroyed my trade depot in the last siege, but the military stood up surprisingly well. I only sent them to fight the things that made it to my fort itself, and we held our own. Lost one guy fighting three or four trolls. Have had several ambushes, which really just means that animals get killed faster. Have almost built enough coffins for all the dead beards and have the slabs catching up too. Once I'm ahead, I'm doing a mass purge of the fortress, then I think we might go hunting in the caverns. For this apparently friendly naked mole dog?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35368 on: July 07, 2014, 07:30:45 am »

Trying to find out how long "Wood Dwarves" can survive for. Basically, by "Wood Dwarves", I mean living off wood. Trading for stone and metal is okay though. Maybe I'll try making overland huts later (If I ever find out how to make a ceiling)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35369 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:17 am »

(If I ever find out how to make a ceiling)

Ramp up the outside side of a wall, then floors everywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 2356 2357 [2358] 2359 2360 ... 3839