Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2351 2352 [2353] 2354 2355 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102617 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35280 on: July 02, 2014, 02:27:50 am »

From a newbs perspective, it was very "interesting" to go onto the wiki and look up how to process adamantine for the first time and see some weird reference to hollow pillars and "FUN".  Clicking on the link, a single word appears: "HELL", and tells you not to scroll down, less it be not so much "FUN" anymore.  I didn't scroll down, but will I follow the advice? 

So in Helmedmystery, we are erecting an elaborate 3 gate mini-fort surrounding a multi-z level pillar of adamantine.  Then we plan to reveal the mystery of this FUN.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35281 on: July 02, 2014, 04:57:50 am »

So in Helmedmystery, we are erecting an elaborate 3 gate mini-fort surrounding a multi-z level pillar of adamantine.  Then we plan to reveal the mystery of this FUN.

Fun you seek, and Fun you shall find, in great abundance; the Lords of the Dwarves shall pour out Fun upon you, and the Fun shall tread you like grapes in the vat.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35282 on: July 02, 2014, 08:48:10 am »

Magma does flow off the edge of the map, right?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35283 on: July 02, 2014, 11:21:54 am »

Probably, yeah. You could wall off the map edge, although that might be difficult if your caverns is full of anything deadly that you're trying to melt in magma.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35284 on: July 02, 2014, 11:34:14 am »

Probably, yeah. You could wall off the map edge, although that might be difficult if your caverns is full of anything deadly that you're trying to melt in magma.

At least two-hundred zombies. Yeah.

Three of them (at least) are Forgotten Beasts. The surface has husking clouds that almost got a titan or two, but those titans just died to piles of zombies from migrant waves and goblin attacks which have died up there. The map has around five hundred zombies total.

The magma was my master plan to cleanse the caverns, but if it's just going to run off the edge, I'll never be able to successfully fill them. Drainage was going to be a problem, anyway, I think. Now I have no idea what I'm going to do. Framerate is so low that playing on the fort is maddening.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35285 on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:32 am »

The magma wouldn't kill the undead by itself anyway, it'd just light them on fire. If the undead got hit by marksdwarf shots or something enough to make the undead collapse while submerged in magma, the corpse would be incinerated. Just the magma wouldn't be enough though to kill any reanimated undead though.

You could try atom smashers. Wouldn't work on large zombies like forgotten beasts and titans, but it could clear all the goblins and dead migrants.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35286 on: July 02, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

Obvious solution: Build walkways above for marksdwarves, flood area below with magma, take precautions against flyers.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #35287 on: July 02, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »

What about caving in the whole cavern?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35288 on: July 02, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »

Uhhm. I found a giant peach-faced lovebird corpse with a copper bolt on top of a tree. The game says it's in open space. Is that normal? First time I see something sitting on a tree. And it's not that I accidentally got a copy of df2014 somehow...
anyone?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35289 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:59 pm »

The magma wouldn't kill the undead by itself anyway, it'd just light them on fire. If the undead got hit by marksdwarf shots or something enough to make the undead collapse while submerged in magma, the corpse would be incinerated. Just the magma wouldn't be enough though to kill any reanimated undead though.

You could try atom smashers. Wouldn't work on large zombies like forgotten beasts and titans, but it could clear all the goblins and dead migrants.

I modded the raws so that organic materials have a melting point. Zombies do actually die to magma now.

The atomsmasher idea crossed my mind but it would require me to come up with some good way to deal with the beasts and titans, plus a cave dragon and some other really large critters that got zombified. On top of that, it'd be necessary to make a point of access between my fort and the caverns, then (later) the surface. I would probably have to work with artifact furniture and cave-ins to deal with the largest things. I'm not sure how that could work, really. Any ideas would be great.

Obvious solution: Build walkways above for marksdwarves, flood area below with magma, take precautions against flyers.

There is a section of the caves that's now flooded with magma, and I could feasibly carve fortifications for my marksdwarves, but there are two problems. First, I don't have anywhere near enough bolts to deal with two hundred zombies of various kinds. And that's just the caverns. I'd have to atomsmash every corpse as quickly as possible once it was dead to archer fire, and that's just a pain in the ass. I would lose civilians and probably the fort.

Second, the caves can't be flooded entirely due to the above issue: magma will flow off the sides of the map. Otherwise, I'd still be pumping.

Theoretically, that could be workable. It'd be really messy, though. And I think the corpses will reanimate after being smashed like that. I cannot atomsmash two hundred zombie corpses before some of them get back on their feet and come charging after my dwarves, and if even one forgotten beast or cave dragon reanimates, it's basically game over.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35290 on: July 02, 2014, 01:36:04 pm »

So I think I just struck hell. Unintentionally, of course. Well. This'll go well. Oh well, what the hell. I was gonna have to retire Hammerflickered eventually, I guess.

Out of the two candy spires I had, the first one just had to be the fun one. Hoo boy.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #35291 on: July 02, 2014, 01:37:44 pm »

Theoretically, that could be workable. It'd be really messy, though. And I think the corpses will reanimate after being smashed like that. I cannot atomsmash two hundred zombie corpses before some of them get back on their feet and come charging after my dwarves, and if even one forgotten beast or cave dragon reanimates, it's basically game over.
[/quote]

They wont reanimate if you drop natural stone on them, it obliterates the body.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35292 on: July 02, 2014, 01:44:22 pm »

Helmedmystery is doomed.  It went from all happy and content to a tantrum spiral of epic proportions, all because I forgot to setup a small clothing industry.  I got 4 workshops pumping out the basics now thanks to workflow(so awesome), but I fear it will not be enough.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35293 on: July 02, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

They wont reanimate if you drop natural stone on them, it obliterates the body.

Does it have to be an entire floor and wall section, or does just a floor work?

Also, there may be some zombies hanging out along the very edges of the cavern. They will probably be immune to the cave-in if I do decide to take that route. That may cause a problem.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35294 on: July 02, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »

Hmm. Can you shut off the magma flow? Because what you could do is pit in a kitten in the floodable zone, wait for the zombies to swarm it, then incinerate whoever took the bait. Shut off the magma or pond in some water to make a new platform for kittenbait, repeat.
Pages: 1 ... 2351 2352 [2353] 2354 2355 ... 3842