Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2350 2351 [2352] 2353 2354 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102482 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35265 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:20 pm »

I have a biome which seems to be jinxed.

In my latest game I got a Forgotten beast which blood causes blindness. This caused half a dozen marksdwarves, and my two legendary melee dwarves, to go blind.
In a later battle, a hill titan killed both legendary melee dwarves, with successive kicks to the head (guess blind dwarves don't dodge too good). My marksdwarves no longer shot too good (in fact, they just beat things with their crossbows) and could no longer perform civilian duties except at no-quality and slow, so I re-comissioned them as a hit-things-with-axex squad.

I also have a mayor who prohibits the export of boxes and bags, and has demanded a nickel silver bed in his room (the scum). At one point, he was bit (and shook around) by a werechameleon, but despite sustaining injury, he unfortunately did not go were himself. Instead he promptly mooded and became a legendary woodcrafter.

Before they died, it had been particularly hilarious watching my blind axe and hammer lord disengage from the middle of pitched combat to sleep. Apparently they were thinking "Okay killed this guy. I can't see any others. Nap time!". The buggers did this in spite of having actual kill orders to kill the enemies swarming around them.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35266 on: June 30, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »

The mayor went out to set the beartraps on the shore. An ambush! The goblin axemen are approaching. The mayor, who happens to a legendary miner, killed the axemen in a few hits and took no wound!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35267 on: June 30, 2014, 09:59:30 pm »

A couple of days I had a dwarf drop her baby in combat. A dark strangler (Fortress Defense II enemy) found it, broke it's ankle causing it to pass out from pain, then spent about two pages strangling it by the throat.

The baby lived!

Not as badass as the baby beating up the strangler, but apparently either stranglers really suck, or babies don't use their throats to breathe [they probably use their beards].
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #35268 on: July 01, 2014, 12:03:15 am »

Started my fort with no animals and decided to only use animals I caught in the wild. Hatched a batch of emu chicks and am working on getting them domesticated. I think I will keep them instead of turkeys even if I get some just for the difference factor. Modded wolves to be trainable and managed to catch a pack of females just need a male to go by so I can get some offspring going assuming there aren't any tokens I missed adding.

War train the emus, they can be quite formidable.
The Emu War

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35269 on: July 01, 2014, 03:51:21 am »

Generated a world with a Dwarven civ that went to war with some Elves in year 206, and was completely annihilated before it was even winter.

I shall revive this glorious civ, and the elves will know no mercy as the hoards of children fall upon them!!

... Is it bad that I now want to build a system of dropping actual Dwarven children on the elves that attack us? Because that was not my original intent...

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35270 on: July 01, 2014, 07:35:00 am »

Generated a world with a Dwarven civ that went to war with some Elves in year 206, and was completely annihilated before it was even winter.

I shall revive this glorious civ, and the elves will know no mercy as the hoards of children fall upon them!!

... Is it bad that I now want to build a system of dropping actual Dwarven children on the elves that attack us? Because that was not my original intent...

That's completely normal. What isn't normal, is a glorious dwarven civilization being killed by ELVES. This is blasphemy. You shouldn't WANT to revive this civ, they are obviously a bunch of pansies.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35271 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:38 am »

A wave of twenty migrants show up. A flock of giant keas show up. And kobold ambushers haven't left yet. They fight each other for a month.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35272 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:01 am »

A wave of twenty migrants show up. A flock of giant keas show up. And kobold ambushers haven't left yet. They fight each other for a month.

who won
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35273 on: July 01, 2014, 11:40:57 am »

So in my fortress, Gusilinin Mk. 3, I opened up the caverns pretty early using fortifications to overlook the first cavern. About three years in, Xun the Forgotten Beast appears; a flying tarantula that can't spit and doesn't have a cloud. Okay, not too worrying, he can't fly through the fortifications that I carved out of the wall. I figure I'll leave him down in the cave for a while until I can free up some dwarves to go down and pincushion him from a distance.

Strangely, this is not going the direction you might think. ;)

So I unpause the game to allow my metalsmiths to churn out another batch of bolts to deal with our guest. A second or so later, I get the message that Xun is no longer enraged.

...the Hell?

So I go looking for Xun. The only things appearing on my "Others" screen is a whole bunch of ravens and a porcupine. However, I notice that there is suddenly about five Olmman corpses in my deceased list. Hmmm.
So I cheat. Yes, I do that quite frequently. I reveal the map.

Ah, there's Xun. And he's...

...getting pwned by Olmmen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
O_O

Edit: At a loss of 5 of their own, the olmmen struck down a Forgotten Beast, and I am LMAO. I don't think that was supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:58:11 am by PABadger »

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35274 on: July 01, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »

At a loss of 5 of their own, the olmmen struck down a Forgotten Beast, and I am LMAO. I don't think that was supposed to happen.

Forgotten beasts will fight any accessible animal men. If the animal men win, the one who strikes the killing blow will become friendly to the fort. In one of my first forts, that happened with a Bat Man.

Too bad there aren't any Spider Men, otherwise I could've had a Friendly Neighborhood Giant Cave Spider Man. :)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35275 on: July 01, 2014, 01:04:21 pm »

Started a new fort to test a minecart set-up.  Really (REALLY) rich area, lots of platinum, etc.  Not a lot of soil.  Within 30 minutes, one of my first three military dorfs was dead by being grabbed by HIS NOSE in a sparring session and flung into the ground.  He died from colliding with an obstacle.  Sigh.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35276 on: July 01, 2014, 04:31:53 pm »

After digging out and engraving the ROM bank (about 70x30), i linked up a few hundred more plates and stuff. Mechanism count stands at just over 3100. And i still haven't touched the operation control, although the program counter is built and the circuit for acquiring and handing over the addition results _looks_ correct. I have a few more days until the next version comes out (or so it seems), but it might take me longer. We'll see.

Features
- 6 bit instructions (because of minecarts. Yes, that's the reason.)
- mix of mechanical and minecart logic (well, what else would i build?)
- kind-of-Harvard architecture: separate program and data registers, addition, incrementation and comparison can only be done on data, but reading and writing will (hopefully) also be possible from/into the program registers. There are a whopping three general-purpose data registers (10 bits wide, for no particular reason)
- instruction set: read, write, increment/decrement, add, compare (skip next instruction if true), jump if zero bit not set, load module, various. Some of these are supposed to do very different things depending on the three-bit argument (various, e.g. includes "Halt" and "print" and "toggle read/write access"). Since it's all very minecart-centric, i'll need to wire up just about every possible read command separately, so it won't make _that_ much of a difference.

I don't think i have anything that'd qualify as a data or adress or whatever bus - it's not a very useful concept when working with minecarts and one-tile switchable buildings like doors and hatches.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35277 on: July 01, 2014, 05:50:08 pm »

I'm butchering most of my fowl to switch to turkeys. I'm also butchering other animals. We simply had too many.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35278 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:10 pm »

I recently posted a community challenge regarding Tombscoast, one of my long-forgotten forts that I had given up as hopeless. Almost five-hundred zombies of various kinds grace the surface and caverns below. Thirty dwarves cower in fear in a central fort area, sealed away from the mindless hordes.

And now they have enacted their brilliant plan: to flood the caverns with magma.

Edit: And, now that the raws have been successfully modded, I'm beginning to see results. There are a few little pools of "creeping eye n/a" in a few spots on the cavern floor beneath the lava, where before there were creeping eye zombie parts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:00:15 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35279 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »

Unfortunately, a hitch has been detected in the plans. The lava is going to flow off the edge of the map and never reach the higher levels of the cavern.

Damn! We were so close! There seems to be no way but to wait another twenty or thirty years for the fort to be large enough to sustain a military. This is supremely disheartening. I don't know if I can stand another thirty years at 15 fps.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2350 2351 [2352] 2353 2354 ... 3842