Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2346 2347 [2348] 2349 2350 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102222 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35205 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:42 am »

Carnagemines has finally lived up to its name. The Great Vampire Fortress has become a bloody mess, after a tantrum spiral took the fort from over 180 beards to just 22.

Those 22 have finally gotten over the horror of watching their entire fort dissolve in chaos and berserkers and bloody fistfights. Two military dwarves remain. The ghosts are beginning to vanish, as the survivors clear up specific corpses. I don't know how many there are left to bury. Of the survivors, two are military dwarves still training around the armor stand in the main entry hall. Seven or eight are lying in the remains of the hospital, tended by the other ten who are all doing triple duty as undertakers, surgeons, and haulers while I put the fort back together. I need to build more coffins, so soon I'll enable masonry on all of them as well.

Two of the original seven remain: Three and Four, our only remaining miner and carpenter, respectively. Four's masterwork spiked balls have fueled the fort's commerce for a decade and a half; Three has pioneered dozens of new projects and has personally excavated hundreds of tons of rock. He will hopefully not die of dehydration in the next few weeks - maybe I should deconstruct his hospital bed so he stops lying around with that silly lower arm wound.

Eventually I'll reclaim everything. The main entrance is completely sealed right now and will remain so even in the face of migrant waves - because someone smashed the levers that control the main drawbridges. That's not surprising; both levers were in the main entryway to the dining hall. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

For fifteen years this fort has stood strong. It shall not fall now. I still have the bloodwell to transform migrants into vampires. Booze stocks are still high enough to last a few years, even once we begin getting migrants through. This tantrum spiral will be remembered as a time when all hell broke loose upon Carnagemines - succeeding only in burning off the dross to purify the ore.

EDIT: A4, a legendary weapon smith and furnace operator, has died of thirst lying on the floor of the hospital. Apparently no one could be bothered to bring her anything to drink. It's not like she could singlehandedly forge a steel axe blade capable of cleaving a demon in two, or anything... right?

*deep sigh*

Armok damn that goblin-sucking elf-slurping kobold-screwing hospital bug.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:25:46 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #35206 on: June 28, 2014, 08:30:46 am »

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35207 on: June 28, 2014, 03:43:33 pm »

Finally, after years with a mayor that constantly banned the export of bins, I can trade without having to wait months for all of my finished goods to get into the trade depot. Thank goodness he was replaced, because I was seriously considering an unfortunate accident.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35208 on: June 28, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »

After a long hiatus I started a quick new fort to get me back into the mood for the new version. Soundmines, they call it. The place rests at the crossing of two mighty rivers, dividing my embark into nice, manageable chunks. The surroundings are wild, with heavy vegetation and animal men running amok. We have carved a section of raised plateau into our first outdoor area, using the river (and the 1zlevel drop into it) as a border or two. From there a single bridge keeps three ramps covered in case of emergency, cutting off access to all non flyers.

It's only autumn of the first year, and we have a decent setup for everything essential right away. I need some kind of goal for the fort. I'd love to take this time to finally figure out how to automate farming, brewing, and clothing industries. I always end up with a ton of stuff from trading, but I want to learn to fend for myself so I can start making permanently closed haunted biome forts.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35209 on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:56 pm »

Finally, after years with a mayor that constantly banned the export of bins, I can trade without having to wait months for all of my finished goods to get into the trade depot. Thank goodness he was replaced, because I was seriously considering an unfortunate accident.

Man, you're gonna facepalm when you realize that you can still move the bins full of tradegoods to the depot, you can still trade the items in there specifically without trading the bin, and you can still take all the bins back when youre done.  The banning of bins exporting is an easy export ban to handle, it just means you have to press enter more rather than once to tap all binned items for trade.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35210 on: June 28, 2014, 11:52:15 pm »

Then use prepared foods. Typically a dozen will let you sweep a caravan, unless it has high quality metal armor/weapons. Then a couple more are needed.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35211 on: June 29, 2014, 12:41:06 am »

A splattering of werezebra blood in bathtub! And gladly found out that werecreature's blood is not contagious.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35212 on: June 29, 2014, 01:29:52 am »

Masterwork mod.

The Great Shield wall has finally been erected around the burgeoning jungle settlement my dwarves live in.  Shining, smooth marble enclosing an entire hamlet.  No more will those lecherous, thieving, bloody-well-annoying capuchins terrorize my citizens, wreaking havoc and stealing my masterwork wheelbarrows and such.

Bought a slade turret.  Placed it in overwatch position over the trade depot airlock.  Lots of delightful combat reports of capuchins with shattered shins, broken ribs and spines, legs getting blown completely off, etc.  Not that they would get much further in, once past the airlock a large number of citizens are armed with capuchin-bone bolts and crossbows.

They want to recover their dead?  They can have em.  Sticking out of their limbs while they crawl on back to whatever hell-pit spawned them.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35213 on: June 29, 2014, 03:17:15 am »

Hell-pit? What kind of capuchin are we talking about - a costa rican, paraguayan or milanese?

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35214 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:58 am »

Somehow managed to flood half of my fort whilst digging a moat. I only lost eight guys though, so it's OK.

What isn't OK is having a guy die of dehydration. In the meeting area. Not less than 20 tiles from the alcohol stockpile.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35215 on: June 29, 2014, 07:52:24 am »

No more will those lecherous, thieving, bloody-well-annoying capuchins terrorize my citizens, wreaking havoc and stealing my masterwork wheelbarrows and such.

Really, Capuchins are not nearly as annoying or dangerous as the Dominicans.  They just sing a lot.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35216 on: June 29, 2014, 09:21:54 am »

Spring, Year 2 at Soundmines. Year 8.

Still haven't expanded into a "real" fort. So everyone is still living, working, and eating in the soil layer. We did set up a well and reservoir so beards don't have to wander off to some random spot along the river to drink once booze is out. Farming still eludes me. I have 9 underground 3x3 farms, set to various plant that I have seeds for. Not sure if we're producing more resources than we're burning.

The elves stopped by, we traded for a few animals. Specifically a tame, female kea. I thought "great! Kea eggs for everyone until we can breed these suckers. Just need a male." Well, the wild keas of the area weren't going to suffer a turncoat. A flock showed up shortly after and made a beeline for the courtyard. They stole a few things I'll have to replace, but more importantly they wouldn't leave until they'd killed that tame kea in her pasture.. Jokes on them, I caught two more females in cages. We also have a breeding pair of badgers, as well. I think I'm going to attempt to weaponize them.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35217 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:07 am »

The militia captain bashes The Hill Titan in the left third leg with her ☼steel war hammer☼, bruising the muscle!
The Wrestler punches The Hill Titan in the left first foot with his left hand, shattering the chitin and denting the muscle!

Really?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35218 on: June 29, 2014, 10:30:05 am »

I thought most of my deaths to the general wilds would decline after we built the walls, and the outer barrier.  The outer barrier is nothing more than a LOS breaker with cage traps on the sides of it, where dwarves tend to path when moving by.

Instead, I have a mason migrant hunting GCS, a furnace worker getting eaten by harpies, and cats rolling around in profane ash.  Its my fault, I suppose.  The cats adopted a military dwarf who I sent to explore the caverns via a tunnel in the northwest corner of the map, at the junction of the two evil biomes.  The smelter was grabbing delicious magnetite from the staircase, and the  mason I didn't unassign hunting fast enough.

Stupid dwarves capped it off by mustering on the opposite side of cage traps for an ambush.  One had to be late enough to miss the cages and draw the goblins into my walls.  No deaths but the fuckup's from that beauty of a tactical move, but its irksome that they got inside.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #35219 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:38 am »

The militia captain bashes The Hill Titan in the left third leg with her ☼steel war hammer☼, bruising the muscle!
The Wrestler punches The Hill Titan in the left first foot with his left hand, shattering the chitin and denting the muscle!

Really?
That's misleading. The militia captain also shattered the chitin, but it doesn't say that in the combat logs. Check the wounds and you'll see the the left third leg is red.
Pages: 1 ... 2346 2347 [2348] 2349 2350 ... 3842