Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2344 2345 [2346] 2347 2348 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102063 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35175 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:32 am »

Largeropes, Kingdom of the Hydra (see above), has now survived and thrived until its fifth year.

The baroness is obsessed with millstones.  We must make them, many of them, store them, love and pet them, even mill with them occasionally, but we must never never never sell them.  Not one precious millstone can be trusted to the outside world.

Our mayor is a dwarf who is very fond of bats and coffins.  He swears he's not a vampire.  Periodically Urist and the miners challenge him to an eating or drinking contest just to see if he will consume food, since food is known to sicken vampires.  He's passed each time so far - for a small dwarf, he can really do some damage to the liquor stocks.  He's constantly bemoaning our lack of gutter cruor, and the Master Brewer told him last Slate that if he would shut up and go get the plants, he would brew him some, but until then to, and I quote, "Hush yer bloody clack, ye ferlin kakapo-humper!"

We recently had a giantess, a creature rarely seen.  There's one less to see now.  She encountered the Dwarven Cuisinart of 10 angry Axe Lords in steel armor, and went to lie down in the stream.  The fish are happy; lamprey catches are up 15% since so much food landed in the river.

A vile force of darkness arrived, but barely managed to get their feet onto Hydra land when they too met the Cuisinart, with the expected results.  The vile force of darkness departed in unseemly haste, and the militia, loving scamps that they are, waved a fond farewell with exposed dwarven buttocks and raucous laughter.

A forgotten beast made of ash with deadly spittle wanders the second cavern, but it doesn't come near the dwarves.  One of the miners swears she hears it crying from all the hateful things the haulers say about it, but that miner has always been a bit notional.

Magma forges have been erected on the 85th deep, not far below the surface at all.  Steel production has commenced, and now that flux has been located in abundance, things will proceed much more quickly.  Unfortunately the caverns on that level include unpleasant denizens; attempts to fish in those waters, rich as they are with aquatic wildlife, have met with pond grabbers.  If they can locate the culprit, members of the militia are looking forward to grabbing back... with axes.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35176 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:00 am »

There is a pair of alligators in the river I want to catch, but they are being difficult to convince into my cage traps. Since the rivers are at the bottom of a very deep ravine, it is hard to actually move water around without lots of digging, and dropping guinea fowl into the river in hopes of luring them up hasn't been effective (except to control my fowl population). Might just cage trap the crap out of the caverns in hopes of cave crocs.

Still have to capture that web-slinging FB down there too.

I've never had much luck capturing either of the scaly reptilian types you just mentioned. More often than not, alligators just eat my dwarves who just have to go drink from that particular tiny section of river containing dwarf-eating beasts and not literally any other place.

I have recently re-embarked after the fiasco at Findersspears, which I shall promptly abandon within another few months once the tantrum spiral has proven irrecoverable. My new location is in on the border between two biomes. I have two axedwarves and I intend to secure the caverns as soon as possible once I've constructed appropriate aboveground defenses. The desensitization of all dwarves is a very high goal and to that end I have already constructed a long shaft down to the dining hall, which will function as a goblin drop zone. Friendships will mean nothing to my dwarves. *evil snicker*
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35177 on: June 26, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »

There is a pair of alligators in the river I want to catch, but they are being difficult to convince into my cage traps. Since the rivers are at the bottom of a very deep ravine, it is hard to actually move water around without lots of digging, and dropping guinea fowl into the river in hopes of luring them up hasn't been effective (except to control my fowl population). Might just cage trap the crap out of the caverns in hopes of cave crocs.

Still have to capture that web-slinging FB down there too.

Oh yeah, cool animals... Since I don't have a river in my embark, I doubt I'll get any crocs ( though I caught an elephant so far! :D )

Wait a second, I just remembered that the forgotten beast that showed up ( In 1st or 2nd year no less ) is a giant crocodile with THREE TAILS and some poisonous attack I think. Since I didn't bother with making any military yet ( After I clone some adamantine I'll get to it though ) it's gonna take a while until I capture it... I'm pretty sure it will be !!FUN!!

... Hmm, I get a feeling something bad is gonna happen to the fortress of PlayChannel soon... I didn't have any ambushes so far... But I have a couple tricks up my sleeve for any trespassing idiots that dare to attack my dorfs...

And I'm sure that my magma piston I'm planning to do is gonna be very fun indeed...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35178 on: June 26, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »

A friend of mine just had a dead mother's child buried with her in her coffin. Apparently his dwarves did that automatically. The baby suffocated shortly thereafter.

I didn't know that was possible. It's possibly the most horrific thing I've ever heard of in Dwarf Fortress, short of that one modding event which shall never be named.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35179 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:06 pm »

A friend of mine just had a dead mother's child buried with her in her coffin. Apparently his dwarves did that automatically. The baby suffocated shortly thereafter.

I didn't know that was possible. It's possibly the most horrific thing I've ever heard of in Dwarf Fortress, short of that one modding event which shall never be named.
Now you HAVE to name this modding event.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35180 on: June 26, 2014, 04:04:47 pm »

Now you HAVE to name this modding event.
I was just thinking 'what better way to call attention to the results of attention to detail and freedom of modding than to refer to the worst most socially abhorrent modded recount ever.'

Its a story about how people played with anatomically correct raws.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35181 on: June 26, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »

...yeah, there is a dark side to modding.
Not one that people like to divulge into.
I like making it easier to murderize stuff.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35182 on: June 26, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »

Hammerflickered got made a barony. Maybe now I'll get more useless dwarves to haul junk to where it's supposed to be.

A couple forgotten beasts attacked. One was a giant tick with deadly gas. Due to an incident with pulling the wrong levers the beast got into the cavern access instead of into the forgotten beast trap, and it managed to mangle a jeweler to death before wandering back out of the access and getting locked out. The jeweler was really good at his work, too. If I actually bothered to have a jewelery industry then he would be missed. The worst of the dust seemed to be a fever. Anyway, the tick wadered into the beast trap and got skewered by glass spikes repeatedly until one of them stabbed its head.

Another beast was a giant lizard made of ash. That was it. No special attributes other than being made of ash. Despite being really underpowered, it still caused some chaos and even killed a dwarf. It arrived on site in the caverns right next to the candy spire, where the dwarves had been mining away the exposed candy walls of the spire. As a result, there was a gaping hole in the defenses and lots of haulers gathering adamantine who promptly scattered before the ash lizard. It happened to spot a miner with an injured foot from an earlier mining accident. The lizard easily kept pace with Ol 'Limpy the digger and broke his other foot before mauling him. The miner died just before a hammerdwarf came down and bisected the lizard with his war hammer.

In other news, more ruined clothing got sold to the dwarf caravan, more steel has been processed from imported iron and steel goods, and the military is now mostly kitted with steel armor.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35183 on: June 26, 2014, 04:44:08 pm »

I had an order to make a bridge for my atom-smasher. Being impatient, I already started marking stuff for dumping to the zone I had directly below. I finally get enough stones to said bridge...and Bridge was suspended due to item blocking site. I had hundreds of items already dumped there! ajfalkjfdsga;oihfaoijlkfdasfdaoiufdavcxjklfdsa Well, I'll un-forbid them and hope that my poor, sad architect can just move them all. Sucker! And also hope that they don't get moved too far...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35184 on: June 26, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »

Not sure how it happened, but one of my soldiers apparently killed a planter like 20 days ago.  I didn't really care, but I guess he did it in front of a lot of witnesses and it's really pissing dorfs off that I'm ignoring it.  So, in my first ever use of the justice system I convicted him...to death apparently :(.  I wish it told you the sentence when you convicted.

Also, they threw a party immediately after...the bastards.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35185 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »

Not sure how it happened, but one of my soldiers apparently killed a planter like 20 days ago.  I didn't really care, but I guess he did it in front of a lot of witnesses and it's really pissing dorfs off that I'm ignoring it.  So, in my first ever use of the justice system I convicted him...to death apparently :(.  I wish it told you the sentence when you convicted.

Also, they threw a party immediately after...the bastards.
The planter probably violated a production order and was sentenced to a beating, which turned out to be lethal.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35186 on: June 26, 2014, 05:34:25 pm »

That Dragon with the rotten legs still hasn't died yet. Luckily it didn't have the extract on him or else I'll have more problems.

Armok's beard is almost done. I decided to use diorite for the beard because one. it's plentiful, and two, I think he would look better with a dark beard. Once the arena is complete, It will be dyed a nice shade of red.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35187 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:36 pm »

Yet another fruitful day: the comparator and the adder were built and linked up. Mechanism count has reached 2670, almost 800 up in one day.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35188 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »

I fear the wall of text, but I gotta ask anyways, what are you building with all those mechanisms?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35189 on: June 26, 2014, 09:03:35 pm »

The mountainhome just sent me their king, which completely caught me off guard. Now I'm trying to manage all the king's needs as well as finish my beard. Hopefully the king likes my homage to their god.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2344 2345 [2346] 2347 2348 ... 3842