Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2343 2344 [2345] 2346 2347 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102056 times)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35160 on: June 24, 2014, 11:34:49 pm »

The magma rinse is complete! Take that, bad men. Currently the only bad men to show up are the occasional cultist trying to steal my children or the occasional starspawn trying to take my things. There are these horrible cow beasts in the depths, but apparently they're delicious. The ghouls have been picked off, except for one that killed a forgotten beast and is now my friend, somehow. So. Strange bedfellows, etc etc.

I've got rattlesnake soap, glass ramparts, a magma rinse for particularly pesky invaders, a relatively healthy professional army, a huge stockpile of ammunition (Over a thousand! Most of it masterwork.) and a network of kitten lookouts. If I can avoid cat/turkey/caribou/rabbitsplosion and put some of my 30 idlers to work, I should be able to make enough dough to really make some enemies.

I only had one tantrum. Sadly it was by my ninja militia captain who simply executed several bystanders with one blow each. Fortunately all of those suckers were replaceable.

I wonder what's next for 'Lionlunch'. Not lions, apparently.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35161 on: June 25, 2014, 08:59:40 am »

Every time I start a new fort these days I inevitably run into the issue of ENORMOUS FRIKKIN MIGRANT WAVES.

My fortress hits 180+ population before the end of year 2 almost every single time. *sigh*

Findersspears has recently begun a tantrum spiral. It started with the death of a military dwarf to the first siege, and then a marksdwarf punched a miner in the head, and now I've got fifteen or twenty dwarves at 0 happiness. Everything's going to hell. And I haven't even started serious mining operations or breached the caves yet.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35162 on: June 25, 2014, 10:20:54 am »

While waiting for the new release, I generated a PerfectWorld set-up with a barrier mountain range separating the coastal civilizations from a harsh, maximum-savagery interior.  Set up a little outpost way off in the middle of nowhere, after receiving word about tremendous amounts of native gold (over 20k according to prospector reports) and tetrahedrite copper/silver.  Problem is that this wealth of gold is located at the intersection of a Terrifying forest (completely dead when I actually got there, of course, though that hasn't stopped the animals from moving around), and Joyous Rocky Wasteland.  To simulate the sheer distance from home, I set the pop cap down to 10, which means that I'll only receive the first two immigration waves, and because I'm silly that way, I left a seasonal crops mod active, which means I'll need to maintain larger fields. 

On arrival, we barely got dug in and a small sealed structure constructed around the entrance before the undead giant thrips and ravens started flying through the center of the map, which was fortunate as I neglected to bring any trained soldiers.  Received the mandatory two migrant waves with only one casualty to the undead and weather (a potter), and even that loss I'm unfond of because (a) with a low pop cap, even potters and cheesemakers are going to be critical in combating the undead hordes, and (b) said potter is now shambling around and mumbling about brains, which admittedly isn't much of a difference from the usual dwarf that shambles around mumbling about ale (even the smell isn't that much different, either).  The expedition leader was taken by a fey mood not too long after I breached the aquifer and (after some desperate flailing about on my part to reach and smelt some metal; thank heavens that I didn't have to breach the aquifer while panicking about that on top of it) constructed a solid gold war hammer, which is very pretty, but I'm not sure how effective such a malleable metal will be in actually hammering stuff.  For now, we'll mostly just keep digging down, transfer my population and key workshops below the waterline, crack the caverns, obtain some magma, and get to work on churning out that beautiful, beautiful electrum. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:24:25 am by Culise »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35163 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:32 am »

Every time I start a new fort these days I inevitably run into the issue of ENORMOUS FRIKKIN MIGRANT WAVES.

You could start with a lower population cap, like 80 or 100 instead of the default 200.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35164 on: June 25, 2014, 11:16:31 am »

A goblin elite crossbowman hospitalized five of my marksdwarves. >:(
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35165 on: June 25, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »

Years of carefully forbidding the eggs and now the crundles hatch. I could swear they are all going to gradually die out of old age. Maybe my target practice breeding plan will work out after all.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35166 on: June 25, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »

Hammerflickered had a couple unexpected dwarf deaths. A random injured hauler went berserk after years of lying on the floor in a corner of the fort and never getting taken to the hospital or even moving himself. He had broken feet. I kinda forgot about him. I don't know how he got hurt in the first place.

Then a mason died of infection after about a year of lamely crawling around with his own legs broken from a tantrum from Cog Footfenced. He never got any medical help either.

Then a miner went and stood on the wrong side of a controlled cave in. Got himself crushed under several layers of galena and rock for his stupididty.

On the bright side, a glassmaker went fey and made a green glass portal worth 400,000 dorf bucks, the atom smasher is working and refuse and worn clothes are getting carted to the smasher and crushed, and the goblin dodge me pit is getting carved out.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35167 on: June 25, 2014, 06:39:59 pm »

Fun with Ogres.

Well, maybe just just the uncapitalized kind.  A group of ogresses came into my camp after my first migrant wave (11-strong, a high number for me).  Good, because my temp miner/field hand has been throwing hissy fits about the draft and his poor boo-bood fingernail.  Its smashed open, and I have the nails modded to heal, so he can deal.  I made the doctor immigrant also be the carpenter/broker/bookkeeper.

The ogresses barged into our camp while we were upping walls.  Thanks to me putting the barracks in the farm, I was able to respond, and 3/4 members gave chase to one while 1 dwarf and one dog chased the other.  That was a month ago.  The dog just now caught up to one of them and distracted it from fleeing long enough to break a few bones, but the other one is still playing Benny Hill with us, the bastard.  I hope we can clear this up before something else pops by.

Still not sure what the 'Profane Ash Cloud' does, but the biomes don't seem to reanimate.  Which means its just a nasty purple mess for half a year.  Wolverine men also killed a migrant on its way in.  mmmmm.  The outer wall is getting priority.

---

I am happy to play this evil-biome-no-syndromes, I don't see a lot of them.  I do wish however I could have gotten my man-eating-plant to breed in world-gen.

---

Half the wall is up by fall, 2 ogres claimed 2 lives, and a giant wolverine has murdered 2 pets and delegged a Hinfantry. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:49:51 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35168 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:56 pm »

The engravers of Largeropes are obsessed... utterly, totally obsessed with a hydra named Narena Blossommatches the Mold of Cleaning.  The hydra is engraved in every room, every hallway, every nook and cranny of the fort.  I think it's the totem animal of the whole damn place.  Hail Hydra.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:40:56 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35169 on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:07 pm »

... constructed a solid gold war hammer, which is very pretty, but I'm not sure how effective such a malleable metal will be in actually hammering stuff.

Very good, if I recall correctly. Hammers and maces deal damage based on density and weight, making silver the best you can craft normally. But artifacts can be made from nonstandard metals such as gold, which is superior to silver in those regards. (Platinum'd be even better, mind you, but who's complaining?) This is why candy, while considered unparalleled for use in armor and sharp weapons, makes for nigh-useless hammers that people give to their hammerers to prevent unwanted executions: It's effectively like crafting a Wiffle bat out of Aerogel.

Add to that the quality bonus for being an artifact, and you've got a solid death-dealer there.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35170 on: June 25, 2014, 11:09:11 pm »

I found an engraving of some dwarf embracing a kakapo. I can only assume that 'parrot hugger' is some variety of obscure insult.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35171 on: June 25, 2014, 11:14:12 pm »

I found an engraving of some dwarf embracing a kakapo. I can only assume that 'parrot hugger' is some variety of obscure insult.
Relevant BBC documentary video on kakapo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY&feature=kp

Let's just say the kakapo is hugging the man ; P
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35172 on: June 26, 2014, 06:33:54 am »

I'm almost done with my turn at Demongate, so I should be back here soon.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35173 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:14 am »

Timegate...a small fortress, that shuns all newcomers(2x2,no migrants, ~800-1800 FPS).  For a while there was prosperity, a lack of threats meant the dwarves could focus solely on developing weaponry for adventurers.  Deep beneath the earth, smiths worked night and day to hone their forging techniques, while the miners searched for the most valuable material, adamantine.  Everyone was happy, or at least content.  Then the mayor made a mandate.
The dwarves in their foolishness, thought this would be safe to ignore.  However, due to Timegate's accelerated existence there was a problem.  Everyone's clothes had all long since worn away, making each dwarf but a hair away from maddening despair. The fort erupted into chaos.  Where previously, not one coffin had been needed, the bodies piled up.  Miasma in the great hall drove even more mad.  Melancholy and berserk dwarves stalked the hallway, ghosts rising from the floor.
Before long the fortress was left to one sane dwarvern child. Haunted by the ghosts of her parents, she runs into an old friend gone berserk.  He snaps her leg and arm and tries to strangle her, but fails to do so before his previous wounds take their toll.  Lying there broken in the miasma, her parent's ghosts call out to her.
Timegate has withered.

Remember to make clothes for your dwarves.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35174 on: June 26, 2014, 08:21:03 am »

There is a pair of alligators in the river I want to catch, but they are being difficult to convince into my cage traps. Since the rivers are at the bottom of a very deep ravine, it is hard to actually move water around without lots of digging, and dropping guinea fowl into the river in hopes of luring them up hasn't been effective (except to control my fowl population). Might just cage trap the crap out of the caverns in hopes of cave crocs.

Still have to capture that web-slinging FB down there too.
Pages: 1 ... 2343 2344 [2345] 2346 2347 ... 3842