Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2342 2343 [2344] 2345 2346 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101914 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35145 on: June 24, 2014, 02:49:33 pm »

My current fort has been a major success, for the most part. I unwittingly became a barony, and shortly thereafter a county. Diplomacy with the humans and their vampire reptile man law-giver diplomat was short and sweet. Goblins were being dropped in the pit with the tame giant scorpion, who later inexplicably died and was replaced with a giant leopard. My population had hit over 200, and I was preparing a special room to capture the forgotten beast in the caverns. About half of my external wall was built, which I hoped would allow me to survive goblin sieges without having to make everyone run indoors and have casualties when they decided to ignore me to drink from the river instead of the well.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a heck of a lot for the dwarves to do, so there was this eternal party going on at the statue near the entrance, and they were getting really, really friendly with each other.

And then the dragon hit. A long-named, fully adult dragon, ready to go all Desolation of Smaug on my butt. "Great!" I thought. "The spots the dwarves kept standing on when I was building the wall got filled in with cage traps, and a straight line to my fort entrance will bring this guy right in there! Then I can craft some particularly absurd trap and really sock it to the goblins!"

Except he doesn't do that. Instead, it goes around the wall, making a beeline for the hives I had on a hillside. Then, unimpeded, it walks right into my fortress.

"Okay!" I thought. This isn't too bad! It'll walk right through those doors and into the cage traps I have for bigger goblin sieges! This isn't so bad! I don't need to open the drawbridge, because I don't want the weapon traps to kill it, right?"

It proceeds to dismantle the doors and the raised portcullis I'd just installed, stops a square short from the cage traps, and breathes right into the party hall. Half the fort population is annihilated on the spot, including my legendary miners. And the lever for opening the bridges. And most of the cage traps. (Wooden cages.) Then somebody shoots the thing in the leg, and it decides it isn't going to move for a while, instead repeatedly breathing fire into my fort from a safe distance. During this, several dwarves go instantly insane from having all their friends die. And not a single one is melancholy or catatonic. No, just a swarm of berserkers hampering the defense and recovery efforts. Luckily, half the fort seems to be a crack shot with a crossbow or expert martial artists, and the berserkers often had combat logs like "Urist McTeethgnasher assaults the kitten! Urist McCheesemaker punches UristMcTeethgnasher in the head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain!"

Anyways, the dragon then proceeds to step into a cage trap that had a metal cage, and the threat is over. 3 seconds later: "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" Okay, maybe the threat isn't over! They show up on the opposite side from the wall I have built, my trap pit is sealed by the bridges operated by the lever the dragon melted and pools of magma caused by dragonfire are preventing me from rebuilding said lever, the doors and portcullis are gone, the cage traps have been disarmed, and almost the entire population is too busy starting fist fights to fix anything.

I managed to get some dwarves to dismantle the bridges, so hopefully that will slow the goblins down a bit, allowing me time to restock the cage traps...
And that is why overconfidence leads to many FUN times ;)
But good luck recovering, that must suck.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35146 on: June 24, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »

I've got most of the minecart logistics down except for one pesky part: The first downward track.

Anyone got any advice here? The cart keeps stopping before reaching the hauling stop. I've got a 3x3 downward spiral that needs to transport stone and various other goods down to the cavern.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35147 on: June 24, 2014, 04:27:17 pm »

Update:

The goblins died, several more berserkers started, although the only one still alive is a child wandering the desert wastes and jumping out and punching people to death when they get near the river to take a drink. But the tantrum spiral is slowing down, capped by a woodcutter who went into a fell mood, took her own baby daughter to the butcher's shop, and is turning her into something at this very moment.

This fort... 0_0
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35148 on: June 24, 2014, 04:30:35 pm »

Update:

The goblins died, several more berserkers started, although the only one still alive is a child wandering the desert wastes and jumping out and punching people to death when they get near the river to take a drink. But the tantrum spiral is slowing down, capped by a woodcutter who went into a fell mood, took her own baby daughter to the butcher's shop, and is turning her into something at this very moment.

This fort... 0_0
That. Is a very sad fort.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35149 on: June 24, 2014, 04:35:14 pm »

That. Is a very sad fort.

More like DWARFY fort.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35150 on: June 24, 2014, 05:14:46 pm »

Update again: The berserkers slowed down, probably due to the latest one being a competent berserker. Previously a woodcutter with a steel axe and not a kill to his name, he's just taken down thirty-five dwarves (and twelve pets) according to his axe's kill list. That's more dwarves than I have remaining at this point, and I think better than any adventurer I have ever played..

During his rampage, the giant enemy crab forgotten beast (who I had, rather appropriately, forgotten about due to its habit of lying in wait in a pool in the bottom of the cavern on the other side of the map) suddenly decided that now was when it wanted to attack. It charged up the stairs, ate a few children and puppies hiding down by the (now starved to death) count's room, before being distracted by the count's artifact bed. I believe it's neutralized now, but it may not matter, because that woodcutter may be unstoppable at this point.
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35151 on: June 24, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »

Reading that made me think of a guy with bad teeth screaming "MUST CHOP WOOD" and hacking a camel in half.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35152 on: June 24, 2014, 05:32:23 pm »

Update again: The berserkers slowed down, probably due to the latest one being a competent berserker. Previously a woodcutter with a steel axe and not a kill to his name, he's just taken down thirty-five dwarves (and twelve pets) according to his axe's kill list. That's more dwarves than I have remaining at this point, and I think better than any adventurer I have ever played..

During his rampage, the giant enemy crab forgotten beast (who I had, rather appropriately, forgotten about due to its habit of lying in wait in a pool in the bottom of the cavern on the other side of the map) suddenly decided that now was when it wanted to attack. It charged up the stairs, ate a few children and puppies hiding down by the (now starved to death) count's room, before being distracted by the count's artifact bed. I believe it's neutralized now, but it may not matter, because that woodcutter may be unstoppable at this point.
What is that Woodcutter's name? You should write it down or something and remember him.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35153 on: June 24, 2014, 05:48:45 pm »

What is that Woodcutter's name? You should write it down or something and remember him.

"Sigun Laborphrase the Defective Elevation." Quite appropriate, I think. He hit 38 notable kills before dying of thirst in the middle of disemboweling a chicken. Right as the elves showed up, too. I was kind of hoping to finish his rampage on a high note. :P

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35154 on: June 24, 2014, 06:12:26 pm »

To distract myself from trickier stuff, i built another accurate clock. This one is entirely based on exact cycles of a perpetual-motion minecart, which are counted by heavily nested counting loops (of more minecarts, of course). For operation, the clock needs no power and no mechanisms. To have some sort of display, i added a four pressure plates - one to send daily, one for monthly and one for yearly signals. And one for when the clock runs out of numbers. Which happens after ~2*10^20 dwarf years, which even with a very high-power (present-day) computer should take 2*10^15 years real time, about 100.000 times the current age of the universe.

Not fully debugged version in action - really, it's remarkably banal, just one buzzing and a few dozen mostly inactive minecarts.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2669-eternityclock

Can you spot the bug? (It's fixed now, btw.)

PS - building the entire thing took under a year for a very small fort. Fixing the bug took maybe a day of actual work, but a whole month (hint!) to spot the bug. A calendar covering only one year or a hundred could be finished in a month or less.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:22:10 pm by Larix »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35155 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:00 pm »

Gearing up for my first Haunted Savanna/ untamed mountain embark with the farming mod.  Also a few other nerfing mods, and my own mods.

It has a brook, shallow metals beneath the evil, and flux in the mountain.  I don't know how much food/seeds to bring.  In my other forts the farms weren't viable for three to four years after starting my farms in normal biomes, with the quantity of seeds I brought.

So Im torn between forging picks or bringing them, and how much food/seeds to take, and even if I should just favor collapsing the wagon separate from the aquifer cork.  Gahhh, Im excited to try, as this civ has been pressed pretty hard by wars and unfortunate geography/starting positions.

There is a cave, but I don't quite know who is playing nintendo in it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35156 on: June 24, 2014, 06:35:01 pm »

Well I completely redesigned the downward track and finally its working. We also had a run-in with a forgotten beast with gaseous noxious secretions. Syndromes yay! A few dwarves are now hospitalized but short term effects appear to be non-lethal and temporary numbing and unconsciousness. Now to continue trucking on at 25 FPS! First up, a whole lot of butchering. 200+ animals just won't cut it.

Also, the draltha starved to death despite having the largest pastures possible.  :-\
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35157 on: June 24, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »

"Sigun Laborphrase the Defective Elevation." Quite appropriate, I think. He hit 38 notable kills before dying of thirst in the middle of disemboweling a chicken. Right as the elves showed up, too. I was kind of hoping to finish his rampage on a high note. :P
Shame, watching him murder elves would have been amazing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35158 on: June 24, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »

My outpost sees half its land frozen, including the brook head.  which is nice because it is kind of cheap how easy safe water is with a brook.

Harpy murdered my male dog within one month.  I assigned my four miners, 3 temp ones and one permanent one, to kill them.  Then Ogres.

I've gotten a meeting area dug out, and we are trying to get the metal bars underground.  The cave seems empty enough, with a few crundles popping by to say hi.  Some fog is present in the upper left quadrant of the map.

The map itself is a flat disappointment, with one exception in a one zlevel high hill which I've taken to be my battery/entrance.  It at least is nice to have a reason to employ siege

The evil biome hosts a soil underground, so my food worries were rather unfounded.  I bought 20 plump helmet spawns, and they are currently growing safely.  It s a start, and I'm going to butcher the oxen (who distracted the ogres for me) and test how animated the biomes are.  It'll be one of the few syndrome-free biomes I've had this year if nothing gets back up.  Meh.

It'll be sufficient to last until the next update, at least. [shrugs]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35159 on: June 24, 2014, 09:16:19 pm »

A peasant partial skeleton is currently holding onto the leg of a kea, which is trying to fly away but is too tired and keeps passing out from over-exertion. I find this hilarious to imagine.
Pages: 1 ... 2342 2343 [2344] 2345 2346 ... 3842