Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2338 2339 [2340] 2341 2342 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101726 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35085 on: June 20, 2014, 12:06:23 pm »

Um, what? An eight-legged... quadruped? ...what?

Picture a spider walking on four legs, with the other front four legs raised up in front of it.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35086 on: June 20, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »

You remember that time when that guy got generic trees marked by T that dropped no wood?
This is similar:

The grey objects are what the second image is about.
I don't know what these are or what they are for, but dang if it isn't creepy.
Maybe it has to do with those kobolds we butchered.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35087 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »

Protip:

If you're going to try to build walls by dumping water down in a frozen area, don't do it during a snowstorm if your dwarves have a longish walk.  You end up playing Othello/Reversi against nature.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35088 on: June 20, 2014, 01:29:13 pm »

Because I was single mindedly focused on flooring an entire z level for 4 years, the hospital went unbuilt, and Srithmog remained bed ridden all those years with his skull cracked, brain injured and all of his limbs broken.  I'm sure by year 2 his brains started stinking up the room. 

Anyways, apparently my neglect wasn't fatal, because now with just 3 months of treatment in the new hospital he's up and running around on a crutch.  I hope he doesn't hold a grudge.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35089 on: June 21, 2014, 06:55:46 am »

Sandbrushed the above-ground desert fortress is coming along nicely. Reasonably spacious apartments made of sandstone and a 3-story dining complex cater for 150 dwarves, with mudstone buildings housing the workshops, and storage stockpiles in basements underground. The miners have dug a huge quarry in the single mountain biome corner, and have hit gems and copper. Hopefully some gold to come, no limestone in sight so marble will have to do for construction of a palace and temples later.

Wells provide fresh drinking water and a kiln produces various forms of pottery from imported clay. Beer is brewed from cave wheat and longland grass. The textile industry provides plenty of linen for clothing and the hospital. Gems are encrusted onto everything in sight and many dwarves own luxury beds. The dwarves stubbornly refuse to make anything resembling paper from the reeds.

The military is highly trained and fully kitted out with copper armor and weapons. Three infantry squads and one archer squad have held off titans and hittite goblin sieges. The wolverines have posed little threat and luckily there is no sign of hippopotami.

The miners have dug channels in the ground and filled them with water, and the masons have marked out a level surface for the mudstone pyramid. The first three layers (out of 22) have been laid.

The biggest threat is probably the ridiculous number of cats that have adopted dwarves... 30 so far. I tried drowning them in the pyramid tomb but they all swam out through 7/7 water. It's kind of apt that so many dwarves like cats in this fortress but this could easily get out of hand.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35090 on: June 21, 2014, 07:41:00 am »

I noticed that, too, cats seem to be able to swim.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #35091 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:29 am »

Protip: Don't designate aaallllll the wood on your map for cutting, and create huge wood stockpiles in your fort.
Two years after embark, and it's still going.
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35092 on: June 21, 2014, 09:52:20 am »

Protip: Don't designate aaallllll the wood on your map for cutting, and create huge wood stockpiles in your fort.
Two years after embark, and it's still going.

I never do that. I usually start with small rectangles so my dwarves waste less time hauling wood. I have pretty large amount of wood, but the fact I need to turn a big part of it into charcoal doesn't help...

And I have lava 140 Z-levels underground...

My life is so cruel. ;'(
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35093 on: June 21, 2014, 10:31:46 am »

Asmel Hammerwebs, the mayor of Hammerflickered suddenly went berserk in the dining hall. He was also the captain of the crossbow squad and had just been made the baron, so it's a disappointing loss. All he ever mandated was bed construction, he seemed a cool dude. I guess the stress of military service combined with unhappy thoughts due to the occasional not meeting mandates and a lack of a justice system caused him to suddenly snap.

Fortunately, there was a pack of eleven stray dogs loitering in the dining hall all the time. The mayor was literally dogpiled before he could harm anyone. The military arrived just in time to see Asmel die of bloodloss to countless dog bites.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35094 on: June 21, 2014, 10:55:55 am »

You really should have made him captain of the hammer squad.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35095 on: June 21, 2014, 12:44:30 pm »

Summer has returned to Boulderbrightness, and with it the brook has thawed. The winter freeze did, fortunately, give me a chance to correct a flaw in my aqueduct that would have allowed aquatic invaders (are those even a thing?) free access to the bottom of my well. I have deforested much of the surface and moved the wood inside, and I now have a dwarf with hauling disable working full-time on making charcoal and smelting iron. There is also a mason's workshop rolling out rock blocks for the budding parapet, and I have started setting up a bedroom cluster that should serve well for the next while.

On the down side, I still haven't got an indoor farm going, or apparently found any outdoor seeds, despite having a dedicated herbalist. I also really need a manager, but all of my (sixteen) dwarves are currently indispensable and working near-constantly. I'm not sure I want the risk of not being able to trade because my broker is either pumping or managing.

I have dotted a few cage traps around the countryside, in the hopes of catching something interesting. They might also alert me to ambushes; who knows? And I should soon be able to redouble my weapon trap defenses, thanks to a non-hauling weaponsmith working in tandem with the smelter.

The future looks bright!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35096 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:53 pm »

aquatic invaders (are those even a thing?)

They are.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35097 on: June 21, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »

Despite having been brought to the brink of destruction, the fort has turned itself around.
We've fought off another zombie apocalypse conventionally for the first time. Marksdwarves slowly but surely decimated the walking dead from the walls until a sallying force could clear out the rest with impunity.
Even better news: Our fortunes have attracted the King himself!

First time ever! :D

Now all that remains is resecuring the caverns to return the fort to pre-tantrum-spiral borders.

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT, SEAL THE FUCKING FORT

I soooo want to catch it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:47:02 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35098 on: June 21, 2014, 05:57:20 pm »

Well, the current project is now officially serious, we passed the 1000-mechanism watermark. Well, about a hundred of those are unnecessary or faulty linkages, but we're currently at 1230, so still well over a thousand discounting errors. The storage and mirroring logic is mostly there, now we're starting into the writing logic; reading hasn't been touched yet, although the first part of the decoder is already done. I've no idea how many more mechanisms will be required, but it's gonna be a lot.

The count kept getting annoyed because some other dwarf had _one_ tile of platinum floor in their room. We had our first death, but surprisingly, it wasn't anything machinery-related. It was a child that somehow managed to get into the waterfall, in spite of all banks being floored/bridged over and appropriate pathing restricitions painted over everything else. I guess it decided to step on the frozen water the moment it melted. I've now _walled off_ all the accessible river bits around the lip of the waterfall. Although i'm sure some complete moron will walk on top of the (pathing-restricted, but who cares) waterwheels, just so they can fall into the river and drown.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35099 on: June 21, 2014, 05:58:23 pm »

I CAUGHT IT AND IT'S A FEMALE

TAMING IS A MUST
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2338 2339 [2340] 2341 2342 ... 3842