Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2337 2338 [2339] 2340 2341 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101716 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35070 on: June 19, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »

Hammerflickered got another goblin siege. This is the third siege now,s econd proper siege with anything more than a single squad of goblins. Poor timing too, as I had just conscripted some recruits into the military and they weren't completely equipped yet. Made specifying which dwarves should go into combat slightly harder than just "this squad here. this squad here. go kill things."

~70 enemies, 13 trolls, 27 crossbow goblins, 2 spear masters and a master lasher. All versus 12 or so legendary melee dwarves suited in full bronze armor and wielding either one handers and shields or huge two handers. All gloriously brawling in the open fields of combat. Poor goblins.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35071 on: June 19, 2014, 06:49:16 pm »

I made a proper hash of my first attempt to vampirify the entire fort, I'm afraid. We still have no hospital or easy access to water, mostly because there have been half a billion other things to do, from mining out huge new living areas to redesigning the fort every three minutes to constructing the massive lower base area which serves as the defensive structure for the fort. There are two entrances: one is the caravan entrance and can be shut off via drawbridge; the second is a split path over a long drop on which I intend to put weapon traps, when I have the materials to do so. I'm thinking serrated copper blades or some such. Something to make my opponents dodge or get sliced apart. There are ballistae mounted to fire down the line of advancing enemy troops.

The population explosion I experienced in the first year has complicated things. The third migrant wave held 39 new inviduals, and another 30 or so showed up shortly afterwards. We're sitting pretty at 117 right now, one of whom is a vampire in the hospital who shall eventually be given a chance to make herself useful by infecting the whole fort with her blood. Until then, she's a useless lump of flesh who doesn't bleed copiously enough to satisfy me.

The greater part of our fighting force is well advanced in its training, although it's quite small. We've fended off attacks from four ambush squads so far and two of those were ranged goblin forces, so things are going fairly well. Despite having no real armor yet aside from parrying with their weapons and blocking with their wooden shields, my forces have suffered no real injury except for an arrow to the thigh and one unfortunate axedwarf who got his skull knocked in somehow. The arrow chipped a bone and rendered its victim crutchridden, which isn't really a big deal at all.

I don't really understand how to pace myself in DF and how to adapt to changing situations. I hate the feeling of digging away material as an irrevocable change. And when I make a mistake and start a fort in the wrong spot - high up on the freaking mountainside, this time, instead of in the middle of the plain, which would be more sensible - I feel like I can't adjust without undoing all of the good work I've done. Rehashing building plans is a pain in the ass.

Ah well. The fortress shall either rise to become the new vampiric Mountainhome, or die trying. For Armok!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35072 on: June 19, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »

Well, in Slingsold (Demongate will be done, don't worry, but I'm currently trying to comprehend the sheer confusion of it all), right after the third migrant wave, which brought my fort from 17 to 32, a clothier was possessed.
My fort has gotten A LOT of craftsmen.
FOUR GLAZERS.
Large forts can sustain easily with two, even one.
One glazer has low skill in it while the other are Great.
And I thought fishery workers were irritating.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #35073 on: June 19, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »

4 levels down in RaspedWhipped. No metals, not even copper just about a million types of gems. Im going to ahev to start butchering my cats to make cat leather armour if I don't find some kind of metal soon.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35074 on: June 19, 2014, 07:28:42 pm »

The clothier made a shoe.
It promptly was assigned to the militia commander.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #35075 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:04 pm »

Galena and sweet, merciful tettrahedrite ore.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #35076 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

So I finally got a few living migrants and-

Spoiler: FUCK OFF, SERIOUSLY (click to show/hide)

And I can't atom smash them either. Shit. At least they can't fly so I'll be safe for now.

EDIT: On the good side, they are destroying any remaining zombies out there.

Ouch. How did that go? That's the biggest siege I've ever seen. Rutherers, ouch.

EDIT: And you know EIGHT friggin cave dragons!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:16:52 pm by Proudnerd »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35077 on: June 19, 2014, 10:48:39 pm »

Ouch. 49 migrants, half of them children. More children than adults. At the last moment, the cultists appear out of nowhere. My woefully unprepared military is butchered, but aggressive conscription eventually drove them off. The remainder of the adults went crazy, insane, died of their wounds alone in dead-end hallways, or some combination of the same.

Then I flooded the whole thing with magma and called it a day.

FORT 4 coming up!

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #35078 on: June 20, 2014, 12:24:33 am »

Ouch. 49 migrants, half of them children. More children than adults. At the last moment, the cultists appear out of nowhere. My woefully unprepared military is butchered, but aggressive conscription eventually drove them off. The remainder of the adults went crazy, insane, died of their wounds alone in dead-end hallways, or some combination of the same.

Then I flooded the whole thing with magma and called it a day.

FORT 4 coming up!

At least it was a lot less useless children.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35079 on: June 20, 2014, 12:51:32 am »

Um, what? An eight-legged... quadruped? ...what?

...nevermind. I'll find some use for the beasty. *snickers evilly*
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35080 on: June 20, 2014, 03:37:30 am »

So I finally got a few living migrants and-

Spoiler: FUCK OFF, SERIOUSLY (click to show/hide)

And I can't atom smash them either. Shit. At least they can't fly so I'll be safe for now.

EDIT: On the good side, they are destroying any remaining zombies out there.

Ouch. How did that go? That's the biggest siege I've ever seen. Rutherers, ouch.

EDIT: And you know EIGHT friggin cave dragons!
I sealed the fort as I only had like 20 dwarves with no military training. MOATS FTW! A few months later, they left. I've also had to seal off the caverns because of two forgotten beasts including a fire-breathing lizard. That caused a cave-in and killed three miners and dropped their corpses into the cavern lake. Thankfully, I had spare picks and work continued. Then we had a run-in with an Ettin, who was captured. A massive zombie apocalypse was caused by a single necromancer that got inside the little outpost, which was designed to host new migrants during the tantrum spiral and had gathered all the dead dwarves in preparation for the reunion of the two fortress parts and the mass burial shenanigans. Atom smashers cleared that up.

Finally, we also managed to sell all of our junk we had collected over the years for some 180k and bought resources, weapons and armor. The fort is now up to 70ish dwarves, the place was upgraded to Duchy with the vampire duke sealed inside his chambers and things are finally starting to look up again.

EDIT: THE DEAD WALK
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:04:32 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35081 on: June 20, 2014, 06:56:32 am »

...just realized, through checking stuff in my stores, that my king is a dwarven necromancer who ascended the throne in the year 1. I'm in year 636. This could be fun...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35082 on: June 20, 2014, 07:01:56 am »

Tried to live as humans, not as fun as I thought it would be. Built my first full wall out of wood, and realized that if I wanted to design fortresses above ground I could do that on minecraft and not in ASCII.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35083 on: June 20, 2014, 07:15:02 am »

What do you do when a beekeeper shows up in your fort? Kill them, conscript them?

Me, I start making glass hives and mead production. Sure, its time consuming, pointless, and generally silly, but in year one there sure isn't much else to do with the poor beekeeper, who doesn't mind standing in a swarm getting stung constantly.

My beekeeper single handheldy scared off the goblin siege I just had. My other 4 axe dwarves died pretty quickly, and the only reason he didn't was because he fell asleep... but after he woke up and saw the bodies of his brothers in arms outside... he went berserk and charged right into the group. These goblins weren't stupid and immediately injured his leg pretty badly ( I blame the fact that my dwarves JUST DON'T EQUIP HIGH BOOTS! Why? ) Despite that, they couldn't overpower him and they soon ran off... In the direction of the entrance... shit.

Fortunately another cage trap miracle happened, and the last cage caught the last gobbo again. I'm making about 15 more traps to be on the safe side though...

So yeah, how do I force my dwarves to equip stuff? Each of them has their proper military uniform, full steel no less. and they do not want to wear boots... ( I have replace clothing and exact matched as options. )
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35084 on: June 20, 2014, 08:50:42 am »

So The puppy fall is a general bust.  It isn't high enough to kill with consistently, even with the spikes.  The spikes tend to miss or not do enough damage.  So I did the next best thing and put up fortifications around the spike, pastured a puppy there full time, an pulled a lever when I wanted it to die.  But  . . . thats not enough.  Im will make some windows and try again.

I a second fb showed up, in cavern 01.  Or it flew [shrug].  Either way it got into the lower fort proper and somehow came up past off-duty housing into the armoury floor.  In any case It advertised poisonous vapors and kept spitting dust at my troops.  Non of them died yet, and indeed they seem to have internal injuries that aren't showing up on the health screen.  Im a little worried too because a few of them are bleeding from non-existent wounds.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:54:41 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 2337 2338 [2339] 2340 2341 ... 3842