Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2330 2331 [2332] 2333 2334 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100873 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34965 on: June 15, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »

Well, after getting rid of the wall horses the Dwarven caravan arrived to Palacedeserts, right on cue. For some reason half of the caravan decided to start unloading on different depot than the rest, but luckily dismantling the other depot got them moving on to the right one. Now I'm hoping the whole caravan actually leaves this time; it's nearly spring and they're still packing up their massive bounty of dirty socks.

In other news, the jewelers got out of control and encrusted a large troll leather loincloth with no less than eight different jewels. The damned thing must now look like Liberace's codpiece.

Wow.  How much is it worth and who grabbed it to add to their wardrobe?

BTW, are you in a desert?  Now I picture your Dwarfs dragging about sandstone blocks and making huge pyramids. 

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
  • A young philosopher playing DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34966 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:28 pm »

I still playing my 2ndfort. Today my fort "bloodboat" suffered quite alot. A FB killed about 32 dwarfs, so there  are only 62 dwarfs left - many of them are injured and depressed.

Here u can see the cruel monster i have spoken of, allready near death after killing about 14 soldiers.  :'(

http://www.myimg.de/?img=Screenshotfrom20140615c4c17.png

I guess the update is coming soon and i am eager to test it out - so i will continue some tests on this fort and let it slide into death. I never had railways/carts, therefore i am looking for some good tutorials (short or long).

Greetings from a nooby player.  :)

note: i also redirected an underwater see/river into magma to see what happens. Now there are many collapses/cave ins and steam all over the cavern but still no adamite.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:54:52 pm by Lanie »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34967 on: June 15, 2014, 04:04:10 pm »

I've been too busy watching soccer to play, but I did get a nasty bowman ambush lately.

almost took out one of the newbies, but luckily they attacked my elite quarters instead.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34968 on: June 15, 2014, 04:50:27 pm »

Wow.  How much is it worth and who grabbed it to add to their wardrobe?

BTW, are you in a desert?  Now I picture your Dwarfs dragging about sandstone blocks and making huge pyramids.

It's worth 2128☼ which is of course quite nice for a piece of goblinite, but as a large item it's unusable. The Elves can have it if they have something really exotic for sale next time.

And yes, Palacedeserts is right on the edge of desert biome. I'm also letting my dwarves live in somewhat more luxurious apartments compared to my earlier forts, so the "Palace" part of the name is sorta fulfilled, too.

A giant pyramid is actually not a bad idea; I was planning some sort of megaproject before ending the DF2012 era in some suitably apocalyptic way.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:52:06 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34969 on: June 15, 2014, 05:59:28 pm »

You will be happy to know the dome has been completed.  And also that my two militia units, the Surface Grunts and the Surface Spits, are starting to become hardened.  All the blood and gore I guess.  Some of them even enjoy it.   A few have titles, don't care about others, and even have named weapons.  The Duke for example has turned into a hardened soldier. 

The Stone Cutters, of course, rarely leave the walls.  I want my elite archers training, training, training.

The City Guard is just full of badly trained, lightly armed riot police, so I am not even sure why they are in the military menu.

My plan now is to wait for my first children to develop into adults (just a few more years now) and see what they are like.  I have been told that Fortress born Dwarfs are pretty useless, maybe being farmers.  So I have four career paths planned out for the young adults who don't end up with some kind of useful skills.

1. The first four or so will be made into 'Nurses'.  All labors but medical related ones and bringing water to Dwarfs will be turned off.
2. The next dozen will be turned into 'Janitors'.  All labors but cleaning, refuse hauling, and burial will be turned off.
3.  I will make a few dozen 'Haulers'.  All labors but wood, stone, item, food, and furniture hauling will be turned off.
4.  I have built two brand new barracks.  I plan to make two melee units with the rest.  They will likely end up with bone and leather armor, leather shields, plus whatever weapons they can find.  They will not do too well in battle but there are over 80 children and babies in the Fortress with more being born every few days, so new recruits will be available yearly.  They may make good troops.  I noticed one kid already has a scar and both parents are dead.
Living in a Dwarf Fortress is no picnic and many of them may be pretty tough by the time I draft them into the Death Squads...er...Happy-Joy Units.

Now I just need two names for the new units. 

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34970 on: June 15, 2014, 07:41:22 pm »

My fortress of Bluetower is definitely, my longest run fort so far. Even if it's only on it's 3rd year...

Oh well, the previous embark I decided to make myself a truly humungous fortress. And by this, I finally knew what. A gigantic tower built out of microcline. I mean, there's a bunch of microcline around everywhere, right? It can't be that hard. ( To tell you how much of the tower is done, with about 800 microcline blocks the first floor is almost entirely roofed... But hey, that's why it's a megaproject, right? )

Anyway, I've seen 3 ambushes so far. The first one gave me the biggest scare since my only fisherdwarf barely escaped. Being hopeful my cage traps will work, I watched the goblins. Fortunately a dwarven ( I think ) caravan was in the Depot. Thanks to the heroic sacrafice of my war dogs and the brave caravan guards, my fortress surived without man casaulties. The second ambush didn't even do anything, as they instantly fell into cage traps. Third one was ALL CROSSBOWMEN. Result? Single bird got his leg cut open before they too succumbed to mightly cages.

And then... I get an announcement. A FREAKING MINOTAUR CAME! ( My first even megabeast! ) Of course I was shitting my pants a bit, but he seemed to just hang around the edge. Phew, my fortress is s-

Urist McHuntress cancels clean self: Interrupted by Minotaur

OH SHIT. She's gonna di- Wait, that minotaur is retreating!? Indeed, he ran away in fear from an unarmored huntress with steel crossbow and bone bolts, but it was too late; She shot him to death. ( She grew attached to the crossbow some time ago ) She is my fortress hero, and once I get some space dug up she will get awesome room for her bravery. And she will become the Crossbowmen's leader once I have get some recruits.

Anyway, that's about it, but I have a couple questions, since I'm kinda nooby at DF yet. What can you make out of stone blocks? Or can you use them to do anything that you could do with normal rocks?
How do I unarm goblins that are in cages? ( My last attempt with a goblin thief ended up with one broken leg, broken arm and broken spine in 3 different dwarves. They had no armor and wooden axes, but still... The goblin only got his finger broken. )
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:43:24 pm by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34971 on: June 15, 2014, 08:01:55 pm »

Anyway, that's about it, but I have a couple questions, since I'm kinda nooby at DF yet. What can you make out of stone blocks? Or can you use them to do anything that you could do with normal rocks?
How do I unarm goblins that are in cages? ( My last attempt with a goblin thief ended up with one broken leg, broken arm and broken spine in 3 different dwarves. They had no armor and wooden axes, but still... The goblin only got his finger broken. )

From what I understand making rock or wood into blocks is busy-work.  It increases the skills of the Dwarfs doing the work.  Also, blocks are easier to carry so if you build something with blocks it will be built slightly faster than if you have them use rough logs and rough stone.

I believe you leave them in the cage.  From what I understand on how the game works items belonging to non-Dwarfs, such as caravan guards and enemy goblins are forbidden.  If you un-forbid them the Dwarfs will strip the items from the Goblin.  So you can, for example, take their weapons and melt them for your own use and sell their clothing to Elves or Humans without releasing them from the cages.  That way, in the future, if you wanted to dump the goblins into a pit full of dogs or use them as combat practice for your recruits, they would be easier to handle. 

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34972 on: June 15, 2014, 08:38:53 pm »

Thanks for the help. Once I get my dwarves clad in full steel I'll have 2 ambushes worth of goblins to slaughter. ;)

If only I had bituminous coal on the map though... Charcoal is kind of ineffective, but it's not like I have that much to do... 5 sets of shields, gloves and boots...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34973 on: June 15, 2014, 08:51:44 pm »

Work is almost complete on the glass castle to protect my underlevels.

The trade depot happens to be built on a band of aquifer, so I think I'm going to make it into a floodable trap area.

Work is continuing (very slowly) on the magma incinerator for spare clothing and dead fireflies.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #34974 on: June 16, 2014, 02:16:41 am »

"The king has arrived with his entire entourage! You are now a Mountainhome!"

Awesome.

Well, the king is actually a queen. Sure, that works for me. Except...she's actually a vampire. She's listed as "Nil Gatizolon, queen vampire". Is that common?
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34975 on: June 16, 2014, 04:28:11 am »

Thanks for the help. Once I get my dwarves clad in full steel I'll have 2 ambushes worth of goblins to slaughter. ;)

If only I had bituminous coal on the map though... Charcoal is kind of ineffective, but it's not like I have that much to do... 5 sets of shields, gloves and boots...

To take everything from caged goblins, run a d-b-d on the cage, then exit out of the menu. k over the cage, and un-designate the cage itself for dumping. It will take eons for them to take everything. Before you assign them to a chain, check them in the u [tab][tab] c i menu. That should pull up the inventory of the gobbo in question. If they have stuff on them, don't assign them to a chain.

Snatchers don't usually have much on them so you can use them intermediately if you want. Start out (if your military is as annoying as mine) by stationing the squad (s [squad letter] m I think, for move, but I'm not playing at them moment) near the gobbo to kill. It won't attack because it's chained. Once you have enough of your squad there, then give the kill order. That'll keep one super gung ho dwarf from taking on the legendary swordsmaster singlehandedly while his buddies lollygag in grabbing their stuff and heading down to help out...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34976 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:01 am »

To take everything from caged goblins, run a d-b-d on the cage, then exit out of the menu. k over the cage, and un-designate the cage itself for dumping. It will take eons for them to take everything. Before you assign them to a chain, check them in the u [tab][tab] c i menu. That should pull up the inventory of the gobbo in question. If they have stuff on them, don't assign them to a chain.

Snatchers don't usually have much on them so you can use them intermediately if you want. Start out (if your military is as annoying as mine) by stationing the squad (s [squad letter] m I think, for move, but I'm not playing at them moment) near the gobbo to kill. It won't attack because it's chained. Once you have enough of your squad there, then give the kill order. That'll keep one super gung ho dwarf from taking on the legendary swordsmaster singlehandedly while his buddies lollygag in grabbing their stuff and heading down to help out...

Wow, thanks! That's expansive answer I hoped to hear. :)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34977 on: June 16, 2014, 07:02:26 am »

Awesome.

Well, the king is actually a queen. Sure, that works for me. Except...she's actually a vampire. She's listed as "Nil Gatizolon, queen vampire". Is that common?

from what I've heard, that's pretty common. Vampires are immortal, and thus more likely to have enough experience to reach king status.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34978 on: June 16, 2014, 08:14:20 am »

fortress #7 came to an end this weekend. 30-ish siege of goblins and trolls got through my defenses (cause I forgot to replace a door a titan tore down). Unlike other sieges they stayed a long time. One troll remained on the map at the end, but he wouldn't finish off my last guy, who was unconscious with a broken foot. I was gonna let him just starve to death, but it was taking forever so I just abandoned.

Time to start #8. This time, I'm going to focus on archers and wrestlers. The only dwarves who won't be in a squad will be those who are more dangerous to themselves than others. I got myself walled off and I'm building a winding path I saw on Idgarad Lyracant's youtube channel. Only a year has gone by, and my second migrant wave was a piddly 4, but that's okay.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34979 on: June 16, 2014, 08:17:45 am »

Awesome.

The first Dwarf King in the history of my world was a Vampire and the human law-giver I deal with is a vampire.  It seems in my world there has many Vampire Kings among both the humans and Dwarfs.  My civilization even had a Queen who was a necromancer.  I am just happy I got a normal King and Queen.  All my King does is hunt, work with the smiths, and help with the bees.  Oh, and he demands we make shields.  All he likes us to make is shields.  He does not care what type, just shields.   

PS - My Mayor, who has been in office for what seems like forever was finally replaced.  I think his downfall happened when he started demanding beds made out of electrum and other items we could not produce.  He would then put people in jail.  As he was in some way related to, or a friend, of everybody this kind of decreased his popularity.  A lot.  The new Mayor demands I make battle axes.  I wonder if he is related to the Royal Family...?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:27:21 am by callisto8413 »
Pages: 1 ... 2330 2331 [2332] 2333 2334 ... 3842