Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2328 2329 [2330] 2331 2332 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100762 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34935 on: June 14, 2014, 08:08:29 am »

Well, in a new world, I found this:

I assume this means there's a dwarf necromancer in those mountain halls.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34936 on: June 14, 2014, 08:12:45 am »

I just got crippled by a forgotten beasts that has a poisonous bite AND shoots webs

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34937 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:24 am »

I just got crippled by a forgotten beasts that has a poisonous bite AND shoots webs
I'm fairly certain that can't happen. FBs will have one or the other, never both.
くコ:彡

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34938 on: June 14, 2014, 08:50:19 am »

Ownrag's gotten so slow (played for 6 or 7 game years now) that it's running slowly. So I'm currently working on making some atom smashers in a room by my underground dump. Two 10x10 bridges set to retract with 10x10 dump zones in them. I had a siege that I used the mountainhome traders to help with, so I have not only some of the crap I traded to them again, but also what I didn't take from them. I haven't done any intentional atom smashing yet, so this will be interesting. For the moment, I'm just setting random old stuff I have found in my fortress entryway (x through XX) to dump. Once both stockpiles are full, I'll hook both bridges up to the same lever (probably placed in the room) to smash, rinse and repeat. Hopefully the old clothes will speed my life back up a bit. Because it's painfully slow. The 826 animals currently in my fort might have something to do with that too, but I'm having issues with food production...namely that food is going rotten in my kitchens before it gets eaten, or else the slaughtered meat goes rotten in the butcher shops. I've been trying to help it out by making lots of my extra useless animals assigned to the "outpost" chains, but it's just a drop in the bucket. So every ten or fifteen minutes I get a miasma in my kitchen area and designate the food to be dumped.

I think the fix to my kitchen thing might be to re-configure my stockpiles (I usually just make a bunch of everything stockpiles) to not accept tools, and have a tools-only stockpile that doesn't accept bins. Any thoughts on whether that would help?

Also, I designated my partially-constructed dragon pillbox to be de-constructed. I realized it was so close to my moat that I wouldn't be able to channel around it to keep archers from walking up and shooting. So I have a channel being dug with one tile between it and my moat channel (my biome freezes in winter). I'll put the blinder bridges inside of that channel, then the pillbox right next to those. I'm rather excited about it (dragon has reverted back to semi-wild, but still doing well in his cage. I need to figure out how many of my weapon traps I will have to remove so he doesn't melt them (I like using the failed siegers' weapons in traps to be used against them...seems pretty dwarfy to me). I'm working to make the entire area inside of my moat but away from Ziril a mass of traps with no visible grass whatsoever, with the exception of the windy path I made for traders' wagons (can fit 3x3 wagon the whole way but they go one tile, turn 90 degrees, go one tile, turn 90 degrees, etc.). I've also turned his pillbox 90 degrees, so the 2-long side is going west to east, with the 1-length side facing my entrance being a door, not a wall or fortification. I'm still deciding if I want the blinder bridges to all be on the same lever, or if I want the control to designate one bridge at a time to move to try to target the most enemy without harming my fort/dwarves. I wouldn't necessarily mind burning the elves...the only thing I got from them the last time was seeds and sand since my biome doesn't have any. Maybe some alcohol too, I'm a little low for my taste.

I might need to figure out setting up a firefighting system in case of uncontrolled fire. I still haven't figured out pumping/how to manage liquid flow yet (pipe sections?). Any good tutorials on doing anything with liquid flow beyond just digging a channel? I'd be looking to create a mist that might put out the fire (if that's even possible).

Anyways, that's Ownrag. It's drowning in its own ragged clothing. Guess it's appropriate!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34939 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:53 am »

I just got crippled by a forgotten beasts that has a poisonous bite AND shoots webs.
I'm fairly certain that can't happen. FBs will have one or the other, never both.
No, they do sometimes. Spiders always have webs, and leeches always suck blood.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34940 on: June 14, 2014, 09:31:53 am »

I just got crippled by a forgotten beasts that has a poisonous bite AND shoots webs.
No, they do sometimes. Spiders always have webs, and leeches always suck blood.
I didn't expect it either, I thought the FB would be a pushover:/ Apparently it was based on a GCS, I didn't pay attention to that.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34941 on: June 14, 2014, 09:40:37 am »

I is in the wonderful world of masterwork with me warlocks and skeletons. I accidentally made a pain elemental...it burned down all the grass on the map twice. and all of my leather and thread. oops?
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34942 on: June 14, 2014, 10:16:59 am »

I was so busy working on my dome that when the Dwarfs started to demand fuel and other wood related products I completely failed to remember my deal with the Elves.  I think I went over the treaty agreement by chopping down 70 or so trees over the limit.  Oops.  From what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong, this seems to piss them off more then wiping out Elf caravans.   :-[

*sigh*  :(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34943 on: June 14, 2014, 10:38:14 am »

Was wondering why Palacedeserts hadn't had any visits from Human or Dwarven caravans for several years; then I realized the reason for that were the caravan horses that got stuck inside a wall at some point. They had been living happily there for years and even had a foal at some point. However, when I built a floor and let them walk over the ramp that had been blocking their way, all three original horses went immediately insane and had to be killed. Fourth horse (the one born in the wall) is hanging around, now with "Friendly" status instead of "Merchant".

Apparently any leftover caravan members (even animals) on the map block future caravans from that civilization. Now hopefully the caravans will resume next year; the Elves can only haul so much of XXtroll fur socksXX out of the fortress.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:40:37 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34944 on: June 14, 2014, 11:42:53 am »

I was so busy working on my dome that when the Dwarfs started to demand fuel and other wood related products I completely failed to remember my deal with the Elves.  I think I went over the treaty agreement by chopping down 70 or so trees over the limit.  Oops.  From what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong, this seems to piss them off more then wiping out Elf caravans.   :-[

*sigh*  :(

You have done good son you have done good.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34945 on: June 14, 2014, 11:50:48 am »

Hammerflickered had its first "siege" today. A single squad of goblin lashers armed with whips, flails, and nine tailed whips. A single squad of unimpressive goblins versus 10 legendary or near legendary melee dwarves armed with an array of deadly weaponry. It was a curbstomp as the first goblin walked into the blood-soaked barracks and interrupted the sparring sessions. He got torn apart by 9 different dwarves and the siege was broken right then.

The troops sallied forth to slay some more gobbos while the siege force fled.

While most of the soldiers brawled with the goblins by the front gate, Sibrek Channelboats, now titled Sibrek Channelboats the Tin Confinement of Deeps, did something rather odd. She ran out right past most of the goblins, ignoring them completely. She ran to the side of the fort's walls, turned around at the corner, and proceeded to fight the retreating goblins as they tried to run past her. Smart thinking. Because of that, she's getting a bunch of kills all by herself while her squadmates try lamely to catch up with them now.

This was also the artifact adamantine bastard sword's first taste of blood. It performed about as expected, lots of goblin bits flying off in arcs.

All in all, this was a nice test of my military's abilities. Pretty lackluster siege attempt, one of my soldiers actually slept through it, it was so short.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34946 on: June 14, 2014, 11:52:13 am »

LOL at wall horses

Anyway, the Joyful Land of Ghouls has been sailing along. My commander, who slain the wereelk, has succumbed to his infections. The wildlife queue has been focusing on helmet snakes on isolated cavern islands. Translation: nothing on the surface. So the dwarves finished a long bunker-hall leading over the river, which allows for safe fishing. They've also bulldozed over a third of the trees on the surface. And even though we have literal Evil Dust clouds that husk, we also have normal rain which seems to clean-off said dust on any zombies.

This has been good luck, but I know it's not easy-mode. All it takes is one flying megabeast to spawn in said Surface / Cavern to make the whole Z-Level off-limits. So my 5 woodcutters have been helping me inhale trees while the calm lasts.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34947 on: June 14, 2014, 12:33:33 pm »

Well, $%^&$#!  Attacked by a bunch of goblins, while a Elf caravan was coming in.  We won but one of my AxeDwarfs stayed in a martial trance and started killing other Dwarfs!  Unarmed subjects just trying to do their jobs.  And a few dogs.  And the Captain of the GUARD!  And my cheetah!  I only had two big cats and she killed one of them! 

Nobody was willing to kill her, she was still somehow a Friend so I placed her own squad in front of her aimless rampage and they killed her to defend themselves. 

I lost more people to her than any one ambush! 

Now I have to reassign all those rooms AND try to keep the Fortress from going into a tantrum spiral (again) and try to trade with the Elves while grieving for the big kitty.   :'(

Well, the work on the roof goes on and we have a ton of metal to melt down.  With pools of blood, gore covered items, and body parts all over the place.  All I need is to be able to place huge burning bonfires on top of the dome and even other Dwarfs may think twice about visiting the Hell which is becoming my Fortress.

My kitty!

A moment of silence...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS - Is there any way to stop that kind of thing?  I had to disband one of my small units, The Cavern Guard (since the caverns are blocked off anyway), to fill in the gaps in the other units.  Also decided that the City Guard is never leaving the city again.  They are good with the bows but they got their butts kicked by one AxeDwarf.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:40:06 pm by callisto8413 »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34948 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:53 pm »

After the victory over the recent goblin siege, I felt confident enough that my dwarves could handle the giant enemy crab forgotten beast known as Stasno that's been lurking in the first caverns and filling our water with its noxious excretions.

The lever was pulled to permit access to the caverns, and the two swordsmen of The Noble Walls, the swordcaptain Domas Helmedpeace armed with the adamantine bastard sword he had crafted, and his sparring partner Catten Wanderedmind of House Gorgeadmired, were sent down to confront Stasno. It took only minutes for the creature to become aware of the path into the fortress and suddenly the giant enemy crab was upon the two dwarves.

Stasno charged the swordcaptain and pinned him against the wall, stunning him and leaving him unable to get a strike in as Stasno just kept charging and attacking. It was all the swordcaptain could do to block the attacks. Fortunately, Catten was there to aid him. Armed with a steel short sword bought from a caravan, he mercilessly stabbed the crab in the back again and again. Stasno turned to confront this new aggressor and turned his back to the Domas, giving him the advantage! The beast was surrounded!

Domas managed to cut several legs off Stasno, knocking it to the floor. The two dwarves were then free to curbstomp it until it bled to death, as they were skilled enough to block any attacks with their bucklers.

Catten Wanderedmind got credit for the kill, and he certainly did attack enough for it. Right after slaying the beast he named his beloved steel short sword "Stelmitharos", or "The Tressed Savagery."

With the giant enemy crab slain the first cavern layer is once again accessible, and that means there's lots of lovely trees to cut down.

Well, $%^&$#!  Attacked by a bunch of goblins, while a Elf caravan was coming in.  We won but one of my AxeDwarfs stayed in a martial trance and started killing other Dwarfs!

I didn't even think that was possible in a martial trance. Did they not go berserk or something while in a trance? Maybe you started a loyalty cascade that only involved that one axedwarf? I have no idea how that happened.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34949 on: June 14, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »

I didn't even think that was possible in a martial trance. Did they not go berserk or something while in a trance? Maybe you started a loyalty cascade that only involved that one axedwarf? I have no idea how that happened.

I have no idea.  She never left the trance.  It said she was unhappy in her stats because of her clothing (I can't seem to make new pants and cloaks and shoes fast enough) but also she had enjoyed a good meal, her nice bed, and the slaughter of the goblins she had just butchered.  The Dwarfs seemed to ignore her, only fighting back when attacked.  It was nuts. 

Pages: 1 ... 2328 2329 [2330] 2331 2332 ... 3842