Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2326 2327 [2328] 2329 2330 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100640 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34905 on: June 12, 2014, 06:38:19 pm »

Greenarrow established, first vanilla game in ages. Necromancers nearby, untamed temperate forests (meaning potentially giant badgers, which provided my first FUN experience with the game a version ago in DF2010,) no dogs or other meatshield pets, and a decision to use lightly armored dwarves for most fighting barring a few 'heavies' as the last line of defense.

Swords shall dominate the military, which... Is probably a bad idea with possible zombie assaults.

I am excited for the future since I'm actually playing the vanilla game...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34906 on: June 12, 2014, 06:54:32 pm »

Winter comes to the Fortress.  I can't help but find the snow beautiful while the Surface Dwarfs work in the snow, hauling stone to the walls and buildings, working in the workshops under the protective roofs, and reloading the stone traps.  Isn't it lovely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34907 on: June 12, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »

The glassmaker went stark raving mad. Fortunately a couple children are coming of age soon. One of them will replace him as the new glassmaker.

Two new forgotten beasts showed up. One is a humanoid made of zirconium with deadly gas and one is a giant enemy crab made of crab with wings and noxious excretions. Both are lurking around in their respective sealed off caverns. Don't want to try and kill them until I have more military dwarves and good edged weapon users. All I have is blunt at the moment. The zirconium dude with deadly gas could be a fort killer. Depends on how bad the gas is and how resistant zirconium is to crossbow bolts.

Human caravan arrived. Amongst my trade goods I found a stack of 13 dwarven sugar roasts. The ingredients are finely minced dwarven sugar, finely minced dwarven sugar, exceptionally minced dwarven sugar, and superiorly minced dwarven sugar. Delicious. Worth 4400 Urists on its own.

Winter comes to the Fortress.  I can't help but find the snow beautiful while the Surface Dwarfs work in the snow, hauling stone to the walls and buildings, working in the workshops under the protective roofs, and reloading the stone traps.  Isn't it lovely.
I'll see your snow and raise you my bright teal revolting ooze that causes everything it touches to ooze just enough blood from their pores to leave trails of blood everywhere.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34908 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »

I've got much the same ooze, except that it occasionally rains also. Yay.

I actually keep my hospital zone off most of the time, because if I have it active I get job cancellation spam as dwarves go to rest.

Why would you need to rest! You've only got blisters all over you! You'll be fine! Ignore the dead kittens, please!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34909 on: June 12, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »

I've got much the same ooze, except that it occasionally rains also. Yay.

I actually keep my hospital zone off most of the time, because if I have it active I get job cancellation spam as dwarves go to rest.

Why would you need to rest! You've only got blisters all over you! You'll be fine! Ignore the dead kittens, please!
...that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of turning it off when I don't need it? This changes everything.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34910 on: June 12, 2014, 09:15:19 pm »

a short while ago, I had a forgotten beast made of charcoal come into my fort and eventually clashing with a guard dragon at one of my entrances into the 3rd lvl cavern.

The beast managed to beat the dragon to death, but caught on fire. Soon its upper body turned yellow, then cyan, and eventually every part of it was burning. But it refuses to die. What's really irritating is that my military can't target it for some reason, but my civilians can still see it and run away. Moreover, it can still breathe poison gas even though it lost its ability to move. I managed to seal that part of the fort off, but the beast problem has not been solved. I'm just waiting to it to burn to death.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34911 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »

My builder fort got a population boost to 41 by the Year2 Migrant Wave. Unfortunately, 3 dwarves and an alpaca fell outside, so the surface risks becoming messy. So I'm going to do what any good dwarf would do: grab the bodies, stuff 'em in a closet, and lock 'em tight. I might be able to pull this off.

EDIT: !! Yes !!
The best part about migrant-zombies is that they path to the meeting hall, instead of just spawn-camping outside.
Migrant Total Qty: 28
Migrants Lost: 4
Migrants Injured: 2
Migrants Remaining on Surface: 0
Forts with Bright Future: 1
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:14:23 pm by ZzarkLinux »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34912 on: June 12, 2014, 09:46:01 pm »

Well, two more things happened....one, the Duchess threw a tantrum, punching the Chief Medical Dwarf and shook a dog.  No damage was done to each but I swear, once I have a King I am wondering if killing her would cause problems.  I mean, she punched the one Dwarf who I think of as very valuable. 

Also, a Forgotten Beast showed up.  With the caverns blocked off it was more amusing than anything else:

What we need is a giant bar-b-q.....

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34913 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »

Is pig iron as good as regular iron in terms of armor quality? Because I just got a pig iron artifact gauntlet. Possession, sadly, but still.
くコ:彡

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34914 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:16 am »

My builder fort got a population boost to 41 by the Year2 Migrant Wave. Unfortunately, 3 dwarves and an alpaca fell outside, so the surface risks becoming messy. So I'm going to do what any good dwarf would do: grab the bodies, stuff 'em in a closet, and lock 'em tight. I might be able to pull this off.

EDIT: !! Yes !!
The best part about migrant-zombies is that they path to the meeting hall, instead of just spawn-camping outside.
Migrant Total Qty: 28
Migrants Lost: 4
Migrants Injured: 2
Migrants Remaining on Surface: 0
Forts with Bright Future: 1

Nice! When you want a quick population boost, the massive second-year waves can be quite helpful.

In my experience, undead that were created on a site (typically killed creatures raised by a necromancer or region interaction) automatically get the "invader" AI, i.e. they path into your fortress (to the meeting area) to better serve their vile purpose. Undead that entered the map as the "wild animal" equivalent on evil maps still have the wandering critter AI and will, if undisturbed, just mill around on the surface a bit and eventually wander off.

@^ pig iron has slightly lower numbers than iron or bronze in the various material properties, but higher than those of copper. I don't know which numbers are important for use as armour and what they mean, but it's an artefact piece of metal armour, from a material that's somewhere in the range of the various military metals, so should be alright.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34915 on: June 13, 2014, 04:24:02 am »

Died on haunted embark due to starting in the middle of a river that curved around the entire embark area (much like the symbol for dwarven civs on the world map), which unleashed dozens of zombie carp at me immediately.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34916 on: June 13, 2014, 07:29:46 am »

I'm just waiting to it to burn to death.
An inorganic creature will not burn to death, even if the material it is made of is flammable. If it can't move, drop a cave-in on it.

ribby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34917 on: June 13, 2014, 10:35:26 am »

Hooray! I have retrieved the marksman's left hand for burial as well as much of his clothing and his crossbow. The rest of his corpse seems to have vanished...

Edit: unrelated, but I seem to have pressed a button which has caused the menu to disappear. So far it hasn't hindered me to much but idk it feels really unsettling for some reason. If anyone knows what I'm likely to have accidentally pressed and how to fix it then I'd be very grateful
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:53:58 am by ribby »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34918 on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:59 am »

Hooray! I have retrieved the marksman's left hand for burial as well as much of his clothing and his crossbow. The rest of his corpse seems to have vanished...

Edit: unrelated, but I seem to have pressed a button which has caused the menu to disappear. So far it hasn't hindered me to much but idk it feels really unsettling for some reason. If anyone knows what I'm likely to have accidentally pressed and how to fix it then I'd be very grateful
tab

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34919 on: June 13, 2014, 12:16:28 pm »

Migrant tsunami just happened.
First summer: two migrants.
First autumn: three migrants.
First winter: zero migrants.
Second spring: TWENTYFUCKINGSEVEN migrants.

I seriously hate this garbage. I can accomodate them and I can feed them. I just hate with a passion going from 12 to 39 and finding something to do for everyone. It just doesn't make sense and is the main reason to abandon a fortress, for me.
I already have a low population cap and produce very little in the first year. Guess I'll have to start micromanaging the cap each year.

I love dwarf fortress but usually play it for a few weeks, then play something else, come back again, etc.
This is my first game after a long break and I'm already tempted to quit.

This is literally the thing I hate the most about this game. Everything else, I can deal with. But these fucking migrant waves, jesus.
Pages: 1 ... 2326 2327 [2328] 2329 2330 ... 3842