Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2324 2325 [2326] 2327 2328 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100495 times)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34875 on: June 09, 2014, 07:30:46 pm »

I didn't know this could happen.

And the spiral begins.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34876 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54:30 pm »

And the spiral begins.

From what I have seen, insane merchants cause no in-fort problems, unless the most skilled guard goes berserk, in which case the other guards SHOULD be able to slice and dice them.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34877 on: June 09, 2014, 07:58:23 pm »

And the spiral begins.

From what I have seen, insane merchants cause no in-fort problems, unless the most skilled guard goes berserk, in which case the other guards SHOULD be able to slice and dice them.

Oh, I missed the merchant part. Ignore what I said.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34878 on: June 09, 2014, 09:41:10 pm »

just tested a cave in made of constructed materials on a forgotten beast made of amber. 1st delibrate cave in I've ever made, and it turns out, contrary to my belief, cave ins made of constructed materials are no less lethal than that of natural stone.

I assumed that constructed floors fall apart when they hit the ground and the monster underneath would just be injured via collision with various blocks.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34879 on: June 09, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »

How did you cause the cave-in? Via lever or via miner / deconstruct? I always worry that any dwarf involved will get sucked into the damage zone by falling rock or earth tremors or something.

My spooky terrifying fort is going great. I'll admit that I've had to savescum a few times, but I have no shame in it from a "builder player" perspective. I'm playing for fun, and not to have the wildlife despawn and respawn right on top of the liason. That just leads to more "zombie surface with 7 dwarfs" which isn't what I'm planning to make.

I have found that making walls outside early on is key to a great Terrifying fort. If you can section off the map into halves, or even just build a really long wall, then you're safe on one side while the zombie grasshopper is on the other (Note: This may not hold true in the next version due to climbing). Again, I had to savescum a few times in the first months so that the wildlife wasn't lightning bird zombies. Just remember, a few tricks in the first year will make the next 99 years of the fort much more entertaining.

Well, I'm off to bridge to the cavern islands, and erect a blockade shelter over the river while it's frozen (I don't want to loose moody dwarves to the inevitable "gimme shells" requirement that will happen in the coming years).

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34880 on: June 09, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »

I dug a pit and built a constructed floor over the pit with a support underneath. then I linked a lever to the support and removed all the ramps.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34881 on: June 10, 2014, 03:42:48 am »

And the spiral begins.

Non-fort "friendly" creatures can go insane under some conditions: usually when under attack or when prevented from leaving for an extended time, but also when caught in a cage. AFAIK this only affects merchants (including pack animals) and diplomats. Caravan guards won't go crazy (haven't tried trapping them, though).

And you're quite right, apart from berserkers, insane merchants are unproblematic. You may lose some friendliness points with their parent civ and dead dwarven merchants must be buried/slabbed to prevent ghosts, but they won't cause trouble directly.

@below - check the skills of that peasant (with 'c'ombat tab enabled); more often than not, those are dwarfs with only military skills. Since all migrants arrive as civilians, they'll be labelled under their best civilian skill, which in case of professional soldiers is none. If you want to build an early military, "peasant" is about the most promising immigrant "profession".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:21:45 am by Larix »

bawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34882 on: June 10, 2014, 05:39:49 am »

Not technically "in my fort", but I finally tweaked my ASCII tileset to be just perfect. Not just square, but perfect.

In other news, a first migrant wave... with one peasant and four children. Jesus.

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34883 on: June 10, 2014, 10:04:28 am »

Have you got a ratio of 1 chair per table? If there are two chairs next to a single table, Dorfs can both sit at the table, and will then complain about the overcrowding even if there are lots more tables.

No, but it makes me think... I made a little 'waiting room' in my hospital (complete with nurses' station) which is nothing but chairs.  I bet that's what it is.  Every dwarf who eats lunch in the hospital waiting room (while their homies suffer infected neck wounds in the next room--stay classy) with no table probably gets this thought.  I'll either ditch the chairs or build coffee tables.

Thanks!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34884 on: June 10, 2014, 05:03:39 pm »

thanks to [CHILD:1], I now have 30 dragons, which makes them an expendable resource. I've also learned that they are terrible weapons against sieges as they are too dangerous to be let loose and too useless against goblins.

on the other hand, they are completely lethal against forgotten beasts. fleshy one are easily melted via dragonfire and I have not met an inorganic beast that can withstand a substained blast. I suppose they can be a last resort against a potential invasion.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34885 on: June 10, 2014, 07:04:02 pm »

Undead siege, followed right after by a minotaur.

Great, I really didn't need an undead minotaur bashing down my gates.

EDIT: even better, a yak cow the minotaur killed from the elven merchants was reanimated first, and gored the minotaur in the head, tearing apart the brain.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:28:50 pm by Lich180 »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34886 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:08 pm »

So now you have to fight a zombie yak and a zombie minotaur right?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34887 on: June 10, 2014, 09:33:36 pm »

I used DF hack's slayrace feature on a bunch of bugbats and their falling corpses formed a middle finger on the ground.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34888 on: June 11, 2014, 12:09:27 am »

My legendary cook mooded as a mason.

He's now called Dwarf Bread.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34889 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:15 am »

Too many idle Dorfs, too many migrants, not enough food - fisinh seems not to 'work' anymore - fished the brook dry ?

Water filled moat construction continues. Converting atom-smasher into a combination drowning chamber in the works. Floodgate fill, pump out back up to the river. Careful use of fortifications needed to prevent flooding... im sure it'l be !Fun!

Kangaroo breeding program wen't bust when the male 'roo reverted to a wild state and kicked the female in the head (smashed skull) and was then put down itself by a hunter.

We have yet to find or trap a companion for the the war-leopard ( hoping for breeding pair ).

On a plus note: The fort's first domesticated Dingos have been born, hopefully the start of the dingo-farm. Unfortunatly the two domesticated Dingo pups are both male, once a female domesticated dingo is born i can slaughter all the rest before the Animal-Trainers get attached to them.
Pages: 1 ... 2324 2325 [2326] 2327 2328 ... 3842