Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2319 2320 [2321] 2322 2323 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100042 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34800 on: June 05, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »

Revision of the watercannon:

once i started considering it, it was quite obvious: there was no good reason to use an angled track tile in the loading pit. Since it's not actually treated as a ramp, its layout should be largely irrelevant, a corner would only reduce final speed _after_ the cart already passed through. Thus, PDWC (Poor Dwarf's Water Cannon) Mk II:

Code: [Select]

.#.       .#.
.╔╗#      .╔╗#
#▲▲#      #╝╔#
#▲▲#      #╝╔#
.▼▲#      W║╔#
.╚▲#      .╚═#
..F.      ..F.

W - water source
F - fortification

Straight track in the loader, only one tile between shot/slow return and loader, loads reliably _and_ saves ten steps per round in this layout: one shot every 40 steps. I use pumps to keep the load ponds full, with the pump "wall" right beside the pond, so there's no chance of carts getting pushed by sloshing water. Since it's so compact, it can be built modular fairly easily, although constructing a quadruple-mounted Bofors turret from them might be _slightly_ excessive. It results in one shot per ten steps on average, but the military value is dubious. Might be good for area interdiction, though. Extending the base design by one tile length to fit in another pair of ramps would probably be a decent idea - you'd sacrifice maybe four steps of cadence for a notable range boost. As long as the pumps are going, this gun keeps shooting, killing the pumps will let the carts run without picking up water, effectively putting them in standby mode, ready to spring back into full action in a dozen turns after a lever flick.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2665-quadruple-mountedwatergun

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34801 on: June 05, 2014, 08:38:32 pm »

This is an . . . odd permutation.  Thats a giant food stockpile for the above ground farm a z-level up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since when do mutilated corpses count as food?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Suspicious Pilgrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34802 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:34 pm »

Using the necromancer world parameters (minus the seed) I found the most bare-bones ultimate embark: An embark with flux stone, hematite, and some unknown other metal, near enough towers that it GOES OFF THE SCREEN. This is going to be !!Fun!!.

Oooh, pictures?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34803 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:02 am »

Summer has ended on a very low note in Bridgegulf. Moldath îmäzonul, the militia commander and member of the founding seven, and Atír Dumatelis, who had no more than a week earlier completed an artifact almandine door, have been slain by a cave crocodile mysteriously appeared from the depths, as has Bomrek Sĺkzulshigós, one of the two miners drafted to slay the beast.These are the first deaths of the fortress, and they weigh heavily on its occupants - Aban Fikodekast, miner of the founding seven, returns to excavating the magma forge chamber with a heavy heart, burdened by the loss of his dear friend Atír and colleague Bomrek. The death of the creator of an artifact so soon after completing her life's work is an ill omen for the young fort, and leader Id knows in his bones that the seething hordes of greenskins draw ever closer.

EDIT: The fort was brought to its knees and the survivors fled in terror. The end did not come in war, or in plague. No, it came in crabs.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:19:45 am by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34804 on: June 06, 2014, 03:49:36 am »

Well, for the first time in any of my forts, I have too much food. I can't make enough barrels to hold it all, and it's overflowing the stockpiles. I never would've thought I'd have this problem.

I've also got a somewhat ok military running, and a working hospital (I think, haven't tested yet, thankfully), so this is rather surprising. NB4 3 titans at once.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34805 on: June 06, 2014, 06:57:53 am »

For a reason I cannot entirely discern, my starting seven have "and is one of the only ones of his/her kind".
I had fixed this problem before by adding gender, but this is just strange.
Probably related to the 1000-year history and massive quantity of necromancers.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34806 on: June 06, 2014, 07:31:03 am »

For a reason I cannot entirely discern, my starting seven have "and is one of the only ones of his/her kind".
I had fixed this problem before by adding gender, but this is just strange.
Probably related to the 1000-year history and massive quantity of necromancers.
Yeeeeah, I think your dwarven civs are all extinct and your dwarves were generated out of nothing.
くコ:彡

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34807 on: June 06, 2014, 07:45:10 am »

I would think my modded race would be able to last 1000 years in most environments.
Given that they die of old age between 8000 and 7.5 million years, only the ones generated well before history should even be approaching natural death. I blame the massive quantity of necromancers that zerg rush everything.
EDIT: I *may* have confirmed that my civ is dead. It's set to send caravans every month, and that usually means one at the end of the first Spring. Thankfully, we have hematite, flux, and silver, so we're well-set to decimate zombies.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34808 on: June 06, 2014, 10:37:41 am »

Kekimasob, "Splatterboards"
14 Felsite, 35
The Desert Titan {FORGOTNAME} has come! A giant yellow mayfly. It can shoot webs and it moves quickly. Beware its poisonous sting!

BUT THERE ARE NO DESERTS! I EMBARKED IN A COLD CLIMATE! WHAT THE FUCK?!!
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34809 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:58 am »

Revision of the watercannon:

once i started considering it, it was quite obvious: there was no good reason to use an angled track tile in the loading pit. Since it's not actually treated as a ramp, its layout should be largely irrelevant, a corner would only reduce final speed _after_ the cart already passed through. Thus, PDWC (Poor Dwarf's Water Cannon) Mk II:

Code: [Select]

.#.       .#.
.╔╗#      .╔╗#
#▲▲#      #╝╔#
#▲▲#      #╝╔#
.▼▲#      W║╔#
.╚▲#      .╚═#
..F.      ..F.

W - water source
F - fortification

Straight track in the loader, only one tile between shot/slow return and loader, loads reliably _and_ saves ten steps per round in this layout: one shot every 40 steps. I use pumps to keep the load ponds full, with the pump "wall" right beside the pond, so there's no chance of carts getting pushed by sloshing water. Since it's so compact, it can be built modular fairly easily, although constructing a quadruple-mounted Bofors turret from them might be _slightly_ excessive. It results in one shot per ten steps on average, but the military value is dubious. Might be good for area interdiction, though. Extending the base design by one tile length to fit in another pair of ramps would probably be a decent idea - you'd sacrifice maybe four steps of cadence for a notable range boost. As long as the pumps are going, this gun keeps shooting, killing the pumps will let the carts run without picking up water, effectively putting them in standby mode, ready to spring back into full action in a dozen turns after a lever flick.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2665-quadruple-mountedwatergun

8)
Very cool.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34810 on: June 06, 2014, 10:45:09 am »

Deserts can be cold.  Or freezing.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Desert

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34811 on: June 06, 2014, 11:09:39 am »

This is an . . . odd permutation.  Thats a giant food stockpile for the above ground farm a z-level up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since when do mutilated corpses count as food?
I figured it out.  The hunter just happened to be out when the military went out.  Didn't register, what with the timing of the keas.

Anywho, An adriti, my version of heavily armoured shock archers, is out chasing a pack of dingos around and beating them to death with a bone crossbow.  While amusing, he's complaining about the thirst and hunger and sleep and the minor bruising he's gotten.  He just finished detoothing a female dingo, and I'm hoping he eventually chases female into a cage trap to compliment the male we've got.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:12:21 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34812 on: June 06, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

And another refinement:
Adding two pairs of ramps definitely improves the performance of my cheap watergun. While the 40(step) Bofors is a nice cheap-built standoff gun (can work without power if you have a river or aquifer on a convenient z-level), the water itself doesn't do much damage at about 80k speed. Kills seem to be mostly due to collisions with floor, walls, ceiling and other creatures. I haven't tested the 45(step) ACP (Aquatic Circulating Perforator) against creatures, but the slightly longer acceleration time adds range, increases the expected damage and can be stuffed with extra minecarts for multiplied cadence per barrel. The reload process takes about 14 steps, so the maximum'd be, what, three carts per barrel?
Yup. You need to put rollers on each flat floor tile to prevent newton's-cradle lowered effect (can result in shooting backwards) and starting it off is hit-and miss (a cart banging into an earlier cart still sitting on the shot ramp results in the latter cart getting pushed out of the gun on a diagonal), but once you got all three carts cycling, the gun _seems_ to be stable and yes, it shoots once every ~15 steps from a single barrel. Carts must be quite heavy - if a cart sitting in the load tile gets pushed, the standard momentum calculation takes place, and a water-containing cart obviously carries an extra 459 weight and won't feel much effect when pushed by a 28-weight oaken cart. Golden minecarts (empty weight over 750) work better.

You could still stick four of these together in the turret i've shown, for an output of roughly one shot per four game steps.

You definitely need three rollers to keep the triple-burst model going; water pickup randomly removes one or two depth units and thus the remaining friction and thus lingering time in the loading pond is variable; collisions will happen sooner or later, but i _think_ with the rollers, the carts are able to sort themselves out. To stop operation, a lever-operated retracting bridge on the shot ramp is needed. Take care in which order you remove the carts when stopped...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:26:25 pm by Larix »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34813 on: June 06, 2014, 03:29:14 pm »

Palacedeserts Boarding School is now accepting students.

In the finest traditions of Dwarven child care, all children of Palacedeserts are now sent to mandatory schooling as soon as they finish their naked run from mother's bosom to nearest clothes stockpile. Students of this school are trained all the skills Dwarven children can reliably be taught (Fighter, Dodger and Armor User) and will eventually graduate with Legendary marks in all these. This education is given by tried and true method of whacking students with wooden sticks continuously for several years, excluding eating, drinking, sleeping and occasional hospital visits.

In a generation all adult citizens should have Legendary levels in basic combat skills. And some impressive scars.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34814 on: June 06, 2014, 03:56:23 pm »

On 23rd of Sandstone in the year 104 we lost all contact to Bridgemurdered. The dwarven City which was last known to be besieged by undeads seems to be dead and is to be avoided by any means. All we know is tha the last mayor wanted to breach the siege by sending out some Hammer Dwarfs.

Read all this as:
10 average Hammer Dwarfs can't deal with ~100 undeads.
And tantruming dwarfes who destroy levers for the drawbridge are not helpfull at all.
Pages: 1 ... 2319 2320 [2321] 2322 2323 ... 3842