Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2317 2318 [2319] 2320 2321 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099834 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34770 on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:12 am »

Daleks. Daleks everywhere.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34771 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:15 am »

If it's an undead siege, and you aren't in an evil, reanimating biome, you should be ok inside your walls as long as no necromancer got inside.

Thank Armok!, unfortunatly there are three camping outside...

The plan is going to be to create a huge pit underneath a dodge-trap walkway inside the fort (with optional atom-smashers at the bottom), then open the outside bridge, funneling them in over it.
After hearing about the catsplosion 'chaff' defenses I have a hankering to safely link it to the outside and release the zombies on goblin sieges.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:13:15 am by hjd_uk »

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34772 on: June 04, 2014, 11:40:33 am »

Finally got around to playing the map shown in my previous post in fort mode. Adventure mode was a blast, due to ultra-high density of zombies (and vampires, for some reason. I guess when necromancers hang out barely five fast-travel blocks away from most towns, they're not good at policing that kind of thing...

Anyway, fort mode. I found a nice place to settle (1080p ahoy):

Now, let's see who our neighbours are:

Okay, calm down, it's not that bad. After all, we are founding a great fortress that will be part of our great civilization, the Wooden Gates, after all! Men and elves have laughed at us, but our glumprong gates have never been breached. We did not fall to the goblin hordes, yet not a single elf remains in this world, and soon the tall ones shall follow. Our people would never forsake us!

Never mind that, then. Let's do this!

That turkey, along with a few more, have the dubious honour of having their remains used by our resident hunter to kill the various animals wandering about. That blank space just below the workshops is the future dormitory. Just as my miner started digging it out, migrants came. Soon, my brothers and sisters, this fort shall stand among the mightiest ever known!

What do you lot think I should focus on doing? A military (I already have a proficient crossbowdwarf with a crossbow and a competent hammerdwarf without a hammer)? Making the fort self-sustainable? Capturing the first necromancer that comes over for a beer? Something cool and dwarfy?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34773 on: June 04, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »

Another three ambushes have just appeared at once (!?), straight into the waiting field of zombies and 3 necromancers.

This is the entire surface of my 1x1 map:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... Aaand a Werehorse just turned up, bloody hell, six attacks in the last 15 mins. I haven't even breached any caverns yet ( let alone found any Candy )
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:14:45 pm by hjd_uk »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34774 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10:46 pm »

Covenant, how did you manage to get even more than 2 towers nearby, much less that many?
It seems a challenge sometimes to even get one. What's more, I set the correct number of things to the max, and I can't seem to get much more than three towers in a single world.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34775 on: June 04, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »

Covenant, how did you manage to get even more than 2 towers nearby, much less that many?
It seems a challenge sometimes to even get one. What's more, I set the correct number of things to the max, and I can't seem to get much more than three towers in a single world.

There are a few ways to get more towers, though they require either incredibly long world-gens in very large worlds or many custom secrets.

Creating custom secrets and giving them many different spheres will allow more gods to hand out slabs during world-gen. In vanilla only gods of death will hand out the secrets of necromancy.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34776 on: June 04, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »

I'll probably end up doing that and make it so every single god can disperse necromancy.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34777 on: June 04, 2014, 02:24:44 pm »

Year 2.  As always, I'm spending too much time on grand architecture and not enough on practical matters.  My massive excavation projects have attracted large migration waves catapulted me above 90 dwarfs.

Plumbing projects should have started sooner, but are now getting underway in earnest.  Digging out reservoirs, installing floodgates and hatches and bridges, finishing smoothing the stone to prevent tree growth.  For now, dwarfs have to drink booze and run to the outside river for bathing or water-giving.

The elf caravan arrives, for the second time.  I expect to have enough stone crafts to more than buy out their food and animal supply, and don't anticipate them having anything else of interest.  They begin to unpack at my trade depot -- still located just outside my back enterance as I have not finished securing the grand hallway that will lead to it's eventual permanent location.

And Gobos come out of ambush!  Five archers and a hammergob.  One of my herbalists is gut shot, and riddled with arrows as he is wretching.  The traders try to run, but wont abandon their animals and move slowly.  The Gobbos pursue, while the herbalist bleeds out.

I order the rear doors locked, and sound a civilian alert to summon everyone inside through the front entrance -- really the only line of defense.

Eight dwarfs make run a broad circuit around the map, avoiding the ambushers as they cancel their tasks and head for the main entrance -- all making it inside without further fatalities.  Even now, the wounded cry out for water that is unavailable.  Mechanics scramble to complete the most immediate of our various plumbing works, in case we are left inside for a prolonged period of time.

The traders, still pulling their obstinate mules, are cut down as they try to flee.  The Gobbos send our pastured animals scattering, and spend their bows laying waste to next year's meat supply.

If they don't count their coup and flee before our master hunters collect their arms and armor, the gobbos will come to regret this frivolous expenditure of arrows. 

And if they are foolish enough to pursue the civilians underground... their regrets will be compounded greatly.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34778 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

The spiders really have it in for me.

Three of them charged an immigration wave, tore two peasants apart and severly maimed another before help could arrive. The wounded dwarf's spouse was among the killed, so now he's limping around, picking fights with anyone who gets too close. Had to shut everyone inside until I can get some cage traps built.

Then again, I'm building a magma pump stack. Maybe I'll repurpose that for flooding the surface, though I'm sure another group of the damn things would appear as soon as it dried.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34779 on: June 04, 2014, 03:44:28 pm »

So I got my first big migrant wave in the new fort, and out of the 21 dwarves who showed up 6 are 12 year old kids (joining the other 4 12 year olds who already migrated here). That leaves 15 useful dwarves who ALL have some kind of weapon skill, in the competent range.

Apparently the Mountainhome decided that my 4man axe group isn't enough and sent reinforcements.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34780 on: June 04, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »

Hi folks, this is my first post on these forums.

Here's a question.  I'm having trouble figuring out the amount that screw pumps splash when constructing a small waterfall indoors.  How much of a hole does it need, if the water is falling 1 z-level?  I have a hole covered in grates this big:

____%____
____%____
+++###+++
+++###+++
+++++++++

The pump stack is only two high, drawing from a cistern directly beneath that floor, and powered by a windmill above.  It has filled the room with water.  Does the hole have to be wider, or longer, or both?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34781 on: June 04, 2014, 06:48:03 pm »

Hi folks, this is my first post on these forums.

Here's a question.  I'm having trouble figuring out the amount that screw pumps splash when constructing a small waterfall indoors.  How much of a hole does it need, if the water is falling 1 z-level?  I have a hole covered in grates this big:

____%____
____%____
+++###+++
+++###+++
+++++++++

The pump stack is only two high, drawing from a cistern directly beneath that floor, and powered by a windmill above.  It has filled the room with water.  Does the hole have to be wider, or longer, or both?

Hopefully I read your post correct, it seems like you have a pump drawing from a cistern, going up a level, and being pumped back over itself into the cistern to be reused. If you have a continuous flow into the cistern, you will have problems with flooding, but I think if you use a closed system it shouldn't flood (as much). Usually I use 4 pumps on a level, to draw the same bit of water around in a circle and create mist without any major flooding, but it requires a bit more setup. I'll try to explain how I do it (and draw pictures!)

+++++++++
+00000000+
+0*% %*0+
+0%+ +%0+
+0%+ +%0+
+0*% %*0+
+00000000+
+++++++++

So the north pump is set to draw from east to west, west pump is set to draw north to south, south pump from west to east, east pump from south to north. The asterisks are empty space, with a hole just above one point to have a bucket brigade drop in water with the use of a pond zone. Once the water hits 3/7 or so, I turn off the zone and that should be enough water to continuously flow without evaporating. The level above also distributes power through gears and axles to whatever power source you decide to use. Requires only 40 power, plus power train, so 2 windmills, a dwarven water reactor, or whatever else works for you should do nicely.

The floor below is just open, with statues constructed under the holes to prevent dwarves from cancelling their jobs when drenched by the falling mist. Mist should flow perfectly fine in the area, washing everyone and making them ecstatic.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34782 on: June 04, 2014, 08:21:56 pm »

There are a few ways to get more towers, though they require either incredibly long world-gens in very large worlds or many custom secrets.

Creating custom secrets and giving them many different spheres will allow more gods to hand out slabs during world-gen. In vanilla only gods of death will hand out the secrets of necromancy.

Actully, I used a worldgen preset found on the wiki. No modding of gods or cutsom secrets. Specifically, I used the Human Necromancers one. Ironically, it's not just towers that have necros in them - many bandit camps are occupied by slab-carrying necromancers, which made adventure mode fun.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Worldgen_examples‎

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34783 on: June 04, 2014, 08:52:46 pm »

Hammerflickered got its latest migrant wave of 20, bringing the population from 17 to 37 dwarves. The first mood triggered, and a migrant weaponsmith went fey. They had a liking for lead and refused to take anything else, and I was hoping they'd make a mace or a hammer. Got a lead crossbow instead. Nothing fancy, but still good.

Umarluskal, "The Smooth Indignation", weighs 4 units, worth 28800 dwarfbucks, ringed with bands of lead and oval black zircon cabochons. Guess it's pure black and studded with black then.

I believe this is my first artifact weapon ever. Probably will make a dorf in my crossbow squad very happy.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:55:26 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34784 on: June 04, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »

Very nice. 

Back when I understood the military, I would cross-train dwarfs in xbow and hammer.  This way, when they ran out of bolts and smacked things with their xbow, they would have some proficiency in it.

This would be an IDEAL weapon for a dwarf so trained.

Of course, I have no idea if xbow dwarfs charge the enemy anymore, or if they run when out of ammo.  My knowledge of military things is VASTLY antiquated, and I mainly rely on traps now, rather than learning the new system.
Pages: 1 ... 2317 2318 [2319] 2320 2321 ... 3842