Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2316 2317 [2318] 2319 2320 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099837 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34755 on: June 03, 2014, 10:42:50 pm »

You have two miners and two militiadwarves to embark with? How do you fit in all the crafting and things?
It was an evil forest, I wasn't sure if there'd be zombies or face melting rain or husking clouds, so crafting took less of a priority to "things to keep us not dead". 2 miners, 2 hammerdwarves in case of zambies, a farmer, a mason, and a woodcutter/carpenter doubling as a farmer in his spare time. Fortunately, the worst of it is bright teal ooze rain that causes minor bleeding and dangerous yet living wildlife like harpies and ogres and alligators and hippos. The ooze was only lethal to really small critters, like kittens. RIP in piece kittens. ;^;7

Usually after a couple migrant waves I get enough spare dwarves to fill out all the needed industries. That's why I'm looking forward to the first big migrant wave. The first hardcoded wave was 1 dwarf and 3 kids, the second was 7 adult dwarfs. Too much hauling and too many little jobs for just 14 (twelve really, militia don't work) dwarves to handle efficiently at the moment.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34756 on: June 04, 2014, 01:01:32 am »

I was in the middle of dealing with a goblin ambush when I saw that my turkey hen was fighting. I wanted to see which goblin was attacking it, but when I opened the combat report this is what it said:

Any ideas what was going on?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34757 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:47 am »

Hen probably got slammed by something, or thrown by a goblin.  After a certain point earlier logs of combat are discarded, there's probably a lot going on.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34758 on: June 04, 2014, 02:30:08 am »

I breached the first cavern and left it open and undefended because I had better things to do. Well, right about the time I decided to deal with it, one of my miners came across a cave crocodile that had wandered in. She starting puncturing it with her pickaxe, but it bit her free hand and ripped it clean off. She IMMEDIATELY responded by biting and attempting to do the same to one of his front feet. It was awesome. They separated somehow, and she never rested or anything, just went about business as usual. She's a legendary one handed miner now. One tough cookie.

Also, I just caught a minotaur. I'm building him an awesome maze/labyrinth to live in. He will get to play with prisoners whenever I start getting sieges.

mastamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34759 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:46 am »

I just captured a necromancer in a cage trap. Along with a half-dozen undead mussels, of all things.

Now to figure out how to use this for defense without causing (more) !!FUN!!.

either trainer or entrance guard
trainer: line of site on training area but no path, and a way to get a corpse in the training area without putting the hauling dwarf at risk

entrance guard: line of site but no path to the entrance area, and a way to get corpses in his line of site when extra guards are needed

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34760 on: June 04, 2014, 04:49:44 am »

I'm trying to play keep up with my military and the constant steam of trolls and toad riding goblins that are appearing. Had to double up on the number of my active military. Might need a bigger graveyard.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34761 on: June 04, 2014, 05:07:06 am »

Built a nice big field of slabs out the front of the fortress, each of them memorializing a goblin or kobold killed while attacking the fort. Sure enough, just as the final slab had been placed an Ettin came and knocked them all over.

An FB with deadly blood ("Stazu Pusurges the Rough Spittle") turned up in the first cavern. Sent in 3 macelords, figuring that they'd draw the least blood. They bashed it into submission but a macelord got blood on his boots. He ran to the well and cleaned himself, then went to sleep in a hospital bed with blisters on a page worth of body parts. After he got up after a night's sleep and went back to training I thought he might be alright, but he suffocated in the dining hall a few days later.

Also lost a dwarf to melancholy-induced thirst due to walking around with no trousers or shoes. It's a semi-regular occurrence in my fort, dwarves going without pants and/or only wearing a single shoe, especially with hunters, but the waterfall usually keeps them happy enough for me to notice and reset their equipment. There are plenty of shoes and trousers available, not in bins. I guess it might be related to using the "cleanowned" DFHack command regularly. Some bugs with refuse stockpiles now too, accepting bones when they shouldn't.

Finally the Queen arrived and she's a vampire. Not sure how to play this, I could lock her in her Royal Bedroom but I'm tempted to let her roam until she gets caught. The fort is getting kinda comfortable, half the dwarves are ecstatic, the necromancers all seem to be dead, and there's 2 legendary workers in most industries so the fort can afford to lose important dwarves. Time to appoint a sheriff and build a jail though!
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34762 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:23 am »

Started a new embark in a desert. Only wildlife seems to be some easily-angered forest spiders. My first immigration wave had a peasant with some decent social skills, so I made him a broker. Unfortunately I didn't disable the hunting labor quickly enough, and didn't notice that he'd gone out hunting until he got his head ripped off by an angry forest spider.
A bit annoying, but no matter. I just made a different dwarf broker.

Not long after, a dog chased a kobold thief into the desert and killed it. My new broker decided to help carry the loot, and got his head ripped off by an angry forest spider.
I'm not sure I want to appoint a new broker, since I don't have that many dwarves to spare...

Edit: Oh, and it was the same spider, by the name of Cloudmonastery. The injuries it's suffered has only fueled its hate of dwarves, it seems.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:21:51 am by Skuggen »

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34763 on: June 04, 2014, 06:38:47 am »

either trainer or entrance guard
trainer: line of site on training area but no path, and a way to get a corpse in the training area without putting the hauling dwarf at risk

entrance guard: line of site but no path to the entrance area, and a way to get corpses in his line of site when extra guards are needed
Pacifism run, so no training. Might try an entrance guard, but the problem then becomes making sure that the necromancer's raised dead don't do more damage to the fort than the attacker would.

Oh, and it's raining abhorrent goo that causes blisters and minor bleeding (and dizziness, which I may be able to exploit later). Only creatures who seem to be permanently affected was a bunny - it died. Presumably from blood loss. There's so much blood scattered around. And my footbaths are disgusting.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:41:09 am by MeMyselfAndI »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34764 on: June 04, 2014, 07:19:50 am »

that fucking vampire I spent ages looking was a spearmaster. should've been obvious. I've never seen anyone come to my fort with great speardwarf and great dodger skills before.

I still want to kill him, but I'll be sad as I've lost a great asset to the fort.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34765 on: June 04, 2014, 07:25:31 am »

Do the most logical thing and keep him away from possible victims.
Let him chill with the nobles.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34766 on: June 04, 2014, 07:44:59 am »

Ok, so my curtail wall was just finished (like 10 IRL minutes ago), and then my first ambush in this young fort (just reached end of second year).
Ok, well ill raise my drawbridge while the Gobbo squad is chasing a poor lone hunter about outside...
"The Dead Walk, Hide while you still can!"
Oh shi...

Luckily i have already built an inner drawbridge and traps corridoor that can be converted into a zombie pit or atom smasher pit , as long as nothign breaches the 1st drawbridge.

Wish me luck.

Im now praying the lever-puller gets the drawbridge up in time.

Sheet, Fark, Sheet, oh Elves! Three zombies made it inside before the lazy, slow, plodding, goodfornothing, useless leverpuller raised the bridge.

My millitary is still young.

I have a war Leopard... i wanted to breed the kangaroos i captured. Things were going so well..

I really like this fort...

[ if anyone survives then i shall rebuild, but if not i fear i shall have to savescumm and put this down to a 'premonition' ]

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34767 on: June 04, 2014, 07:48:08 am »

SIEGE!

after closing the gates, I activated my distraction lever, which had most of my cats and dogs in it. The Goblins killed off all the pets, solving my petsplosion problem. The scattering got a lot of goblins trapped in cages, so it's a win-win for me.

I sent my marksdwarves out to clear the remanents, those who haven't been trapped. Now only a bowman squad was left, out of range of my marksdwarves. I decided it would be a perfect opportunity to send my vampire out, hoping he would get killed in this suicide mission.

didn't work, the squad chickened out before I could reach them. Out of convenient options, I unceremoniously killed my vampire by atomsmashing him with a gate.

The perfect crime.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34768 on: June 04, 2014, 07:57:11 am »

"The Dead Walk, Hide while you still can!"

Well after a flurry of activity, it seems my tiny force of three Dorfs 'killed' the zombies, the parts dont seem to be moving and no more reports are being genreated form inside.
My dorfs got fairly beat up, one got his shoulder shattered by a zombie trying to pull his arm off, by the looks of it.
I guess the goblins made for a nice distraction outside.
Now i need to throw up a makeshift hospital,
as far as i know : i now need to get the corpse bits in a pit or atom-smash them before they re-animate right?

Oh great, now, when i need it most, dorfs arent dumping items into the atom smasher, some things have gone in there but others are being left in the pile. A bug?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:11:11 am by hjd_uk »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34769 on: June 04, 2014, 08:24:46 am »

If it's an undead siege, and you aren't in an evil, reanimating biome, you should be ok inside your walls as long as no necromancer got inside.
Pages: 1 ... 2316 2317 [2318] 2319 2320 ... 3842