Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2312 2313 [2314] 2315 2316 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099508 times)

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34695 on: May 27, 2014, 11:32:14 pm »

Started a new fort after old one got a bit boring. Planning to create an outside type fort though I still have to complete the design plan and stuff.

For some weird reason, 3 out of 5 dwarves that migrate to my fort are competent in one melee weapon and novice in armor and shield. In fact, a majority of those dwarves have at least one or two goblin or troll kills, indicating that my civ was locked in a great war against said foe.

Oddly, Kobolds started showing up even before the dwarven caravan arrived. My lackluster security as well resulted in the first group of children (all five of them) being kidnapped by goblins.

And annoyingly, when the first elven caravan arrived after the first dwarven caravan, I got ambushed by goblins. Two ambushes in fact and it hasn't even been a year yet! My meager squad of soldiers (3 squads for a total of 11 dwarves) equipped with wooden shields, training weapons and their clothing were somehow able to annihilate the first squad after receiving some broken bones and route the second squad with the death of one soldier.

Edit: Civilian wise, I lost one hunter and my only carpenter. Damn it.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34696 on: May 28, 2014, 12:41:43 am »

The real question is - has anyone gotten mangled during a kidnapping and then died mid-kidnapping?
That'd be something I'd expect out of Dwarf Fortress.

Oh that happens all the time to me.  Kid reveals the kidnapper, kidnapper panics and usually throat/heart/lung stabs the poor sap, then kidnapper bags 'em and runs away.  Child bleeds out or suffocates within seconds and the kidnapper runs off with a corpse-in-a-bag.

Honestly, that seems to happen way more often than good old fashioned bag 'em and tag 'em.  Dwarf Fortress kidnappers are more like child assassins.  *shrug*
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34697 on: May 28, 2014, 02:23:24 am »

Actually, after looking through it, a lot of the kids in this fortress have been influenced by the military. One of the most striking examples of this is a kid, who only at 7 years old, is "getting used to tragedy."

This is almost certainly the effect of getting hurt once - the kid has two remaining scars, and receiving injuries counts as tragedy _and_ as tragedy-hardening. My most exemplary "kid who was on the wrong end of a dozen crossbow bolts", Litast Kadolducim ("Hatchetworks", now a woodcrafter), took six sutures, five wound dressings and four plaster casts to stitch back together, leaving him with six+ visible scars and sensory nerve damage. This episode alone brought him to "he is a hardened individual"; the only other tragedy in his life was losing a younger brother, years ago. Litast's siblings, and even his mother (veteran of several ambushes, thief pursuits and siege cleanups, netting her seventeen notable kills) are not used to tragedy.

Own fort: the minecart transportation route has worked nicely so far - downward transfer by shaft drop onto a track ramp, empty carts return by bugged elevator: a regulator pit, combined with three track corners and three medium friction track stops make the cart slow enough to go up 41 deliberately misaligned ramps. I could also send it _down_ that ramp, of course. It hasn't killed a dwarf yet, but the overall design is not safety-conscious, so accidents are almost bound to happen eventually.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34698 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:56 am »

In my second year, as the Dwarves got inside, a were-elephant showed up and wrecked my stuff.  5 dwarves and 2 dogs bought the farm before it transformed back into a merlock and slinked off, chased by silver bolts.  If it didn't have a name before, it did now.

The best part?  Two dwarves were bit and lived.  One lost a leg, the other just had some lacerations.  Also a dog too, but enh.

So.  Hopefully I can do some quick digging to offset this.  I have no catacombs set up, but I think Ill use the top level of my Main Hall as an impromptu tomb.  Its large enough, and enough of them died to justify making it a memorial site.

---

While this is happening, the outpost liaison is batting at sparrow men up the hill :\

---

I sent them to the cavern.  Unfortunately, one of them had a child before the next full moon.  :[
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:12:21 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34699 on: May 28, 2014, 09:43:49 am »

My second fort of Keskallanir, "Shotsly", recently got attacked by a big, invisible demon called Boredom. When I decided that hope was lost, I created a new world and started looking for good embark spots.
Thats quite a deal I got there. I mean, my first 2 forts were at an ideal location, other than that there were only 2 types of metal in the second fort, which was shallow native silver and 1 other deep metal. Searched for it for a long time(which was one of the last things before my second fortress fell), and Im starting to think the game was mentioning the Adamantine(even though I know its not). I never got to explore the depths of my first fort, for it fell to the fist of Urist McBerserk after he couldnt find exactly 1 shell to finish his worthless piece of shit artifact.

Started around 25 new embarks, none of them had suitable hills to start a hallway. They were either too short or nonexistent. For some reason I refuse to dig a hole in the surface. I think that digging in a hill makes it easier to see what thing is about to have some fun in your hallway than digging in the surface.

But I wont give up =3
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Zurick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34700 on: May 28, 2014, 02:11:37 pm »

Managed to cage not just one, but SEVEN necromancers at my new fort, without so much as a single zombie being raised. I just got a series of back-to-back "Invader!" alerts as they stumbled into my cage traps, one by one. The last necro phased into existence in the middle of my courtyard and scattered my cattle before trying to escape down the same cage-laden drawbridge that his buddies got trapped in.

Next step is to rig up a controlled undead army in the event that a gobbo siege starts going south...

Loyalty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34701 on: May 28, 2014, 03:06:59 pm »

My whole map burned down and I didn't even noticed it. There's just a little fire left and everywhere else is ash. I really had no idea that there was a fire.
Well, no one was complaining, so it wasn't that bad I think.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34702 on: May 28, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »

After successfully establishing the Farm in the Sky (5 z above the normal ground, on muddied green glass floor), we took the next logical step: underground farming on _solid steel_! Built a free-hanging underground platform from steel blocks, ordered some water dumped on it, laid out a few fields. On the 7th of Galena, the first Pig Tails were ripe.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34703 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:03 pm »

While a guy girl who got crippled by an invader makes a random object out of stone, a gremlin is being attacked by bored rangers before the military can get to the task.
Kind of funny. The soldier is like "I gotta do this" and the rangers are like "Oh hey a gremlin let's grill it"
EDIT: Say, how can you get a heavily crippled girl out of a workshop? At least hang around in the meeting room.
EDIT2: Never mind, she crawled to her bed in the hospital.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34704 on: May 28, 2014, 07:53:28 pm »

Can't seem to settle on a fort location, decided on an embark with a waterfall formed by a river from the west intersecting a north-east curving river. 5z fall, nothing extreme. The aquifer may cause problems though, since its multiple z-levels and also comes and goes across the biomes in an odd pattern.

Carp scare the mason building a bridge over the falls for safety, everyone else is busy making copper gear for the fledgling military or blocks and beds for the initial above-ground bunker.

Unsure of where to go from here, but I think it involves a moat fed by the river, and bedrooms overlooking the falls.

Should also mention, I also plan on a glorious tribute to everyone's favorite polymorphic orthoclase and eye-searing blue material, the mighty MICROCLINE. Prospect shows it is roughly 3 times as common as the next most common stone on this embark.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:01:15 pm by Lich180 »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34705 on: May 28, 2014, 08:32:41 pm »

MY WOODCUTTER HATES TOADS.

THAT'S LIKE ME SAYING I HATE LIFE.

I THINK THIS DWARFETTE HAS AN ACCIDENT COMING.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34706 on: May 29, 2014, 06:54:19 am »

Started working on a fort with the aim of using impulse minecarts to bring magma closer to the surface. Unfortunately, I used a floodgate without a grate in the magma inlet at the bottom level, and therefore got a Fire Imp in the middle of the dining room. He killed about a dozen dorfs before getting his head punched in. Since I couldn't put in a grate after the fact, more imps were sure to attack, so I abandoned the fort.

In the next fort, in the same world, most migrants are the (very unhappy) survivors from the old fort. Some threw tantrums and calmed down, but one went melancholic as soon as he appeared on the map.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34707 on: May 29, 2014, 08:44:11 am »

A dragon came, my first for my current DF gaming year (2014). While he spawned quite far to the west, I had forgotten that I had pastured some horses outside the walls near that side. The dragon proceeded to rush towards them before breathing out a breath fire that proceeded to generate a gigantic mass of fire that proceeded to spread out as it continuously burnt the lush green grass that was scattered all around my embark.

Then the dragon managed to get inside my walls, crossing the bridge connecting my fort to the outside world as I did not have any mechanisms in place yet. The inside was also ripe for burning so when the dragon let loose a breath of fire hotter than the sun, it had sparked a fire that proceeded to expand like the fire outside though at least most of my dwarves were in the statue garden located in the center of that place which had been floored off.

Miraculously, only two military dwarves died despite their severe lack of equipment (only one of my soldiers was equipped with any sort of armor and a decent weapon, the rest had only their clothing, a wooden shield and training weapons). The two that died dodged the dragon fire and fell in a murky pool beside the entrance, followed by the dragon who dodged the blows from the training weapons of my military dwarves. The oversized lizard then proceeded to tear apart the two though he was unable to kill the other one before he drowned.

Annoyingly, the initial breath of fire it used after getting inside the walls reached my depot which had contained my newly acquired leopard that was bought from the elves. Sadly, the leopard was was unable to escape his cage in time before the fire burnt its life to ashes. Oddly enough, the Stray Tigerman Herbalist and the Giant Lion which I bought along from those tree-huggers  managed to escape from their burning cages though the lion is missing all the fat on its head.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34708 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49:54 am »

Well, a goblin siege was defeated by a diplomat and a stray polar bear, so there's that.
Only death was a pack animal.
May is ascend to dorfhalla and reside in Armok's grand pasture.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34709 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:03 pm »

A dragon came, my first for my current DF gaming year (2014).
Fuck me I read this as Dwarf Fortress 2014.
It's really getting to me now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2312 2313 [2314] 2315 2316 ... 3842