Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2311 2312 [2313] 2314 2315 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099312 times)

Midboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34680 on: May 26, 2014, 08:03:48 pm »

I have a human diplomat visiting. He is currently standing silently in the baron's bedroom waiting for him to wake up. I hope hes petting the dog that is right next to him instead of staring at the baron while he sleeps while the dog looks at him in confusion.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34681 on: May 27, 2014, 09:41:04 am »

my luck with my old fort has been astounding so far. I used a DF hack command to clear away all the trees in my fort (embark was heavily forested and I couldn't chop them down fast enough) and accidentally released three forgotten beasts into my fort.

The first one was a lobster with deadly blood. lashers took care of it fast.

The loster was just a distraction for something more sinister. down in the third cavern layer, two forgotten beasts, one with deadly vapors and a toad with webs had made its way in, only to be stopped by a spider/cage trap gate system I set up years before. the spider had a webbed duel with the toad and the vapor beast joined forces with the toad.

turns out the vapor caused fatal bleeding, as my poor cave spider found out. the onslaught of webs by the forgotten beast and the cave spider managed to trap it in a cage.

It gets better. the toad broke down my door and was making it way up. I quickly ordered an alert to get all my dwarf upstairs and sent my marksdwarves to take it down. As I was check on the beast, I noticed it was leaving a trail of blood. turns out, the vapors had affected it as well, and it was rapidly bleeding to death. The dastardly fiend had just managed to catch up to a lagging mason when it bled to death, leaving me with two beasts dead, one captured, and no casualties.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34682 on: May 27, 2014, 11:06:27 am »

@Fallen are you playing a childsnatcher race? There's a bug that makes all caravan animals declared kidnapped when taken off the map even if you don't buy them if so. It considers all domesticated animals on the map yours if your species can steal them.

Also, airborne pathfinding is a tad broken, unfortunately.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34683 on: May 27, 2014, 11:07:01 am »

After 20 years of hard labor and mixed ambushes and sieges from both goblins and elves, my fortress has finally raised its first child into adulthood without getting it killed, mangled, or kidnapped.

He is the son of two of our military dwarves and as such, he shall be learn to fight for the good of the fortress.
This space for rent

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34684 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08:47 am »

The real question is - has anyone gotten mangled during a kidnapping and then died mid-kidnapping?
That'd be something I'd expect out of Dwarf Fortress.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34685 on: May 27, 2014, 11:12:39 am »

the kid has good stats too. Definitely worthy addition to the military. Shall he trained with old fashioned sparring techniques or the shaft?

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34686 on: May 27, 2014, 11:17:22 am »

there's vampire in my fort. I don't know which one it is, but it sucked a ranger to death. got to check the thoughts and preferences of 146 dwarves

Look at the mayor first.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34687 on: May 27, 2014, 12:13:13 pm »

it was not the mayor.

good news is, All the migrants should have been around long enough for the [alcohol dependent] tag to do its dirty work. All I have to do is to find the sober dwarf.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:21:45 pm by PDF urist master »

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34688 on: May 27, 2014, 12:17:57 pm »

the kid has good stats too. Definitely worthy addition to the military. Shall he trained with old fashioned sparring techniques or the shaft?

I have a legendary Swordsdwarf who's currently a Professional Teacher. The entire squad she's in is full of war-honed soldiers who haven't had a death in quite some time now, I think it was two or three sieges ago that one last happened from her unit. The kid is gonna go in there to be trained up by the Fortress' finest in good old fashioned sparring. Gets benefit from training with highly experienced soldiers and doubly so from being in a group with them whenever a combat is going to break out, which is hands-down the safest place to be in the entire military.

I'm not sure if it matters, but turns out he's actually Friends with a few of the dwarfs in that squad, along with a handful of other military dwarves, because he spent a lot of time around his parents, which, both being military dwarves, spent a lot of time with other military dwarves. Don't know if friendship has any effect on training or not, but it's neat to see nonetheless.

Actually, after looking through it, a lot of the kids in this fortress have been influenced by the military. One of the most striking examples of this is a kid, who only at 7 years old, is "getting used to tragedy."

This kid is also almost exclusively friends with military dwarves, the only exception being one of the other dwarven children. Combined, his parents have 47 kills, most of which are owned by his mother. Judging from the scars, I'd say she carried him into battle (as dwarven mothers tend to do with their young.) These little guys are growing up from birth in a world of swords and axes, learning early and fast that there are treehuggers and gobbos out there that want the fortress and everything in it destroyed, but can't do that, because there's a 30-strong (and slowly growing) line of dwarves out there who are tough as steel and sharp as adamantine.

And this poor little guy here has also learned that sometimes, even dwarves as tough as steel can be sundered.
This space for rent

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34689 on: May 27, 2014, 02:46:49 pm »

The real question is - has anyone gotten mangled during a kidnapping and then died mid-kidnapping?
That'd be something I'd expect out of Dwarf Fortress.
Depends on whether you mean the snatcher or the snatchee. I once had an implet get snatched by a goblin. The goblin had been discovered by said implet and fireballed before being snatched up. The goblin managed to make it about 20 blocks before burning to death. The goblin's clothes and body burned away, leaving an ecstatic and free implet. That was good because I don't know how to get kids out of bags.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34690 on: May 27, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of a snatcher stealing a child out of the hospital. Said child was injured by some other means (GCS? Another snatcher? SUPERMAN?) and was bleeding. By the time the snatcher made it to the edge of the map, he had a sack full of blood with a corpse.
THAT would be the specific Dwarf Fortress brew of awesome.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34691 on: May 27, 2014, 06:31:13 pm »

I also had that happen. Another implet discovered his kidnapper, but this guy got his arm slashed off by the snatcher when he got kidnapped. The implet bled to death in seconds. However, because I let a bunch of phoenixes (fireball-throwers) and singe deer (fire-breathers) roam the map, this snatcher also met a fiery end. I got to bury the implet's remains.

TheNuttyDoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34692 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:15 pm »

Making a  gold tower with a  cats bumhole door on top. as the exit point of my tunnel to hell...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34693 on: May 27, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »

The fortress of FrostTool is progressing along. The 2nd wave of migrants is settling in, and the new married couples who are arriving are being initiated into clandom. To keep track of families and make dwarves more interesting, each married couple becomes a "clan" with the mother's last name serving as the clan title, and each child receiving the title until their death or future marriage. Current clans in our 22 dwarf population include the Sackwhimses, the Rinsedgears, the Oardangles, and the Honorceilings.

The broker Oddom Chamberstrokes of the Sackwhims went and had a fey mood, and created a silk cloak called "The Salve of Confederations". Upon being prompted of the artifact's worth, he responded "A whole lot." Apparently he doesn't know how to do brokering. A few caravan trades should fix that. At least now we have a legendary clothier to make clothing.

It's a cool artifact though. It's all silk, but includes an image of the raw adamantine slab Seerwhispers, which I assume is a necromancer's slab. Pretty badass record of the secrets of life and death, that Seerwhispers is. It's pure adamantine, holds the secrets of life and death, and it's called Seerwhispers. That's metal.

Anyway, congrats to the Sackwhims for having the honor of the first artifact. 10 points to the Sackwhims, and a bonus 10 points for including the image of Seerwhispers.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34694 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »

Started a new test fort on the same spot as Moltenchannels to practice my engineering skills. I've been cheating extensively.

Dug out a large reservoir for magma, attached an obsidian farm I'd just finished (currently non-functional as I don't have an aquifer or river or even a refilling pond to easily fill my principle water reservoir - I need to dig a pumpstack down to the cavern water for that), put the finishing touches on my intake/drain system and took her for a test drive. I noticed a single floodgate in the drains ceased to function after initial use (I guess a non-magma safe mechanism snuck in there) but other than that everything worked fine. It is however extremely slow to drain.

The new plan; drains will be under the reservoir and be filled via gravity (via floor hatch mechanisms). The current horizontal drains will be kept as they don't actively slow things down. Another tweak I've made; where previously magma came in purely vertically (overflow from a volcano into an access pipe) now it will also flow in horizontally along the same pipe, which should double my filling speed.

Yeah, I'm overdoing it.
Pages: 1 ... 2311 2312 [2313] 2314 2315 ... 3842