Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2306 2307 [2308] 2309 2310 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098888 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34605 on: May 19, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »

Playing through year 4 of this challenge fort, and a Cyclops arrives on the edge of the map.  My squad of 8 well-trained, but untested, melee fighters rush out, and I hold my breath in trepidation.

20 seconds, and 3 pages of combat reports later, my crew is kicking back for a drink, and a peasant is off to haul away the giant corpse of my fallen foe.  Not a scratch on any of my beards, to boot.

Some days, it's good to be a Dorf.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34606 on: May 19, 2014, 10:56:00 pm »

A new fort, had the 2 man militia out hunting for some food. The militia commander with a mithril dagger and the other member with an iron spear.  The speardwarf decides that napping is better than chasing pit viper's around that he probably can't catch anyway so the dagger wielding commander goes at it alone and gets lucky enough to corner one.  The first thing the viper does is bite my commander's arm, causing him to drop his dagger and shield, and it then proceeds to spend weeks just repeatedly biting the poor dwarf. His torso is 'gushing blood' and finally the speardwarf wakes up and goes to help.

The speardwarf arrives and pokes the viper's tail with his spear which was enough to send it running off, straight into the ocean.  Seeing his mortally wounded commander, the speardwarf will have none of it, and he charges into the ocean after the viper. The dwarf has no swimming skills at all and luckily is seems the viper doesn't either, as both just ran around on the ocean floor for about 20 days before I was able to recall the speardwarf. I checked afterwards hoping to see a new swimmer but I guess walking on the ocean bottom doesn't train it at all.

The viper ended up leaving the map edge from the ocean, the militia commander was finally dragged into the hospital and somehow managed to be sewn up before he bled to death. He's now a legendary +15 fighter and a +7 crutch walker but with no other significant combat skills to speak of from his ordeal.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34607 on: May 19, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »

My militia's armour is wearing down for some unknown reason.

A siege came, and I got to watch the paladin wreck shop.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The druid did a little less admirably. Instead of leaping into the fray she stood back and threw ice at the enemy. It didn't help much.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34608 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:14 pm »

What type of armor?  The only armor that won't wear eventually is metal.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34609 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:05 pm »

What type of armor?  The only armor that won't wear eventually is metal.

Custom armour. It is made of steel, and has [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS], so it should not be doing this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E: And I'm still crashing when I butcher some sapients. I'm not too sure why it happens.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:17:56 pm by BlackFlyme »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34610 on: May 19, 2014, 11:35:25 pm »

I am not a modder, however, my understanding is the base type affects what it will do.

So, for gloves, Item_Gloves:Item_Gloves_Gloves in item_gloves.txt raw, there is no metal.  That needs to be Item_Gloves:Item_Gloves_Gauntlets, which have the METAL and HARD tags.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34611 on: May 19, 2014, 11:41:41 pm »

I am not a modder, however, my understanding is the base type affects what it will do.

So, for gloves, Item_Gloves:Item_Gloves_Gloves in item_gloves.txt raw, there is no metal.  That needs to be Item_Gloves:Item_Gloves_Gauntlets, which have the METAL and HARD tags.

Despite the names, these armours are all custom, and all have [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS], which should push their armour level up, and disable their ability to wear normally if they are made of a metal material. For whatever reason, this isn't working, even though it seems to work for my custom helms and legwear.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34612 on: May 20, 2014, 08:44:05 am »

In my masterwork ice fortress, work proceeds apace on the Grand Frozen Traverse, a huge bridge made entirely out of ice that will be the centrepiece to the entire fort.  All dwarf living quarters, barracks, temples, everything will be suspended off of it.  Anyone fighting and dodging/being knocked off the bridge will plummet 16z levels to the bottom of the icy canyon, there hopefully to ludicrously gib into a hundred pieces.

Meantime, I left some food stockpiles outside in the freezing weather.  Result?  Frozen milk.  Curses!  But, hey, wait, what?  They're.... cooking the "frozen milk lumps" into food?  Minced frozen milk everywhere.  I can't imagine milk-flavored shaved ice is too tasty, but these are dwarves, afterall, they eat FAR worse.

Odd.  I had forgotten that milk technically counted as food, not drink.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34613 on: May 20, 2014, 09:27:31 am »

They're.... cooking the "frozen milk lumps" into food?  Minced frozen milk everywhere.  I can't imagine milk-flavored shaved ice is too tasty, but these are dwarves, afterall, they eat FAR worse.

Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34614 on: May 20, 2014, 11:11:56 am »

The Castle that lies over my fortress entrance is looking pretty good.  I am starting to build the turrents for the main keep.  No real hurry.

The King's throne room is complete, and all of the King's requirements have been met.  The throne room features a river of magma.  I am making a great deal of silver crafts, since the King prefers rings.  My textile industry has improved to the point where even worn clothing is worth hundreds of dorfbucks.  I have also been trying to clean up by getting rid of the vendor trash from the assorted sieges.

I am trying to tidy the living quarters.  Every room needs a cabinet for clothing.  Once that is done, we will see about smoothing and installing doors.

I had the most pathetic goblin ambush ever.  Three miserable goblins with swords.  They were promptly carved up by the bridge 'o traps while crossing the brook.  They still managed to kill a Cook.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34615 on: May 20, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »

Youre right, worldmonkey! Ive ordered dwarven sugar from the next caravan. A bunch of dwarves living on a glacier, theyll LOVE dwarven ice cream. Exactly what a body needs to keep warm on those brisk, blustery cold days on the glacier.

Ill have to see about getting them to cook some rum with it. Rum flavored ice cream sounds like a dwarven thing.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34616 on: May 20, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »

Plodding towards my first real nobility. Never had a baron before because I never cared for trade, but I kinda wanna see what it's like to get the king, eventually.

In other news, building my first pump stack, with added dwarfpoints because I'm using the red stuff rather than safe ol' water. Only one dead so far, not a bad innings.
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34617 on: May 21, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

You missed the part where the food is in an iron chest. The chest itself is inside of a wooden pot.

Clearly you have a budding necromancer there. He puts his heart in the chest, puts the chest in a jar, puts the jar in a vault... In this manner, he will never die!  :P
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34618 on: May 21, 2014, 01:23:33 am »

I'm playing with the Fortress Defence mod on, to make defending the fortress a lot more fun and I have almost had fun three times now before the end of the first year. I'm playing in a Joyous Wilds map, with some raw modding in to give my civilization domesticated wolves, lions, and grizzly bears that can all be trained (though I only needed to edit the Trainable token for the wolves). I embarked with some wolves, and dug out a nice fortress site into the side of a sandy/loamy hill. First thing that enters my fortress were Giant Kea.

Thank you raw editing for legendary weapons dwarves even without any weapons. They still wrestled down the Kea.

Then came Badgermen at the same time as the dwarf caravan.

And now I'm under siege for the first time by eighteen or so of the first type of invaders, while I only have twelve dwarves. I was so glad that I already had my gate built and was just working on getting the control lever placed, because that gate managed to get closed just a couple of seconds before they would have swarmed inside of my entrance.

So not even a year has passed, in a good biome, and I'm already under lockdown until such time as I am able to make some weapons. Fortunately, I have found bitumous coal in the rock, as well as hematite, so at least iron is in the cards.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34619 on: May 21, 2014, 02:52:42 am »

Palacedeserts has a new policy for vampires, the were-infected and baby-killing tantrumers. Instead of getting to admire a completely sublime tastefully arranged steel Spike at close range, these undesirables now get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to patrol Hell in special naked one-dwarf militia squads.

After the outrushing demon hordes were defeated nearly a decade ago the Hell was largely forgotten, only reminded by the occasional *prepared brown demon intestines roast[94]* popping up on the dining room menu. Now Hell is being mapped, bit by bit, by these unwilling explorers. By their contributions the Hell's most shocking secret has been revealed:

It's full of dead Forgotten Beasts.

Honestly, I'm counting remains from at least seven different FBs. Apparently they can enter the map in Hell as well as the caverns, and get usually ripped apart by the demons almost instantly. I think the mysterious passing to Age of Legends at some point was due to one of these.

Meanwhile, the foal born to the merchant horses stuck inside the walls has matured and continues living with the others. I expect I'll have a whole herd of wall horses before long.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:58:28 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2306 2307 [2308] 2309 2310 ... 3842