Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097457 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34455 on: May 03, 2014, 11:33:35 am »

Elfnite= to much wooden stuff
If we could burn it for fuel . . .  theres got to be a mod for that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34456 on: May 03, 2014, 11:35:21 am »

Found a new embark. A desert with tin, bituminous coal, and flux. BRING ON THE GOBLINS!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34457 on: May 03, 2014, 11:49:15 am »

If we could burn it for fuel . . .  theres got to be a mod for that.

Hope there is.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34458 on: May 03, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »

Good point. How about redefining "elfnite" as "extra target dummies"?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34459 on: May 03, 2014, 01:36:46 pm »

Now here's a plan.
Have three entrances.
A dwarf/human entrance, an elf entrance, and a goblin entrance.
Have the elf entrance lined with weapon traps loaded with their wooden weapons and a goblin entrance loaded with their metal weapons.
The elf entrance is more of an indignation than a strategy, but if you have enough, one of them could get severely injured.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34460 on: May 03, 2014, 03:02:37 pm »

Another setback in Project Cement Pond.

I was so careful constructing my wagon entrance. Quartzite road, bauxite bridges, iron mechanisms--there was no way it would fail to stand up as I poured magma over it. And I was right.

Turns out, though, should a drop of water touch said magma, and should said magma happen not to be next to any other freshly formed obsidian...boom.

So now I've got magma in my depot entrance, which is currently hosting the dwarven caravan. And I'm not going to be able to rebuild it. because there's now a block of obsidian on the map edge, smack in the middle of where the road used to be. This is going to be a problem.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34461 on: May 03, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »

Good point. How about redefining "elfnite" as "extra target dummies"?

Yep.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34462 on: May 03, 2014, 10:00:23 pm »

My new fort is a... can't even come up with a word for it besides clusterf***. Two years in and I have a booming steel industry, a baroness, and orcs sieging me due to a goblin  law-maker from an ambush killing the diplomat of the orcs from the Freehold mod.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34463 on: May 04, 2014, 12:21:56 am »

My hellbreach was successful. Seeing as I killed the clown car with bolts and iron spear traps, I don't feel that proud of myself. Still, no amount of skilled militia could have saved me from the boss wave, as they had an instant-death blood syndrome/gas syndrome.
So, instead of building down that tube, I closed it and expanded down the adamantine spire I'd already opened while searching for the boss wave. I've now got a hell colony under construction.

Still though, this whole thing has left me feeling vaguely unsatisfied. It's weird; I won the game from a purely military standpoint. I built a militia that can handle any siege and defences that can clear the last wave of the game. I think it's because I savescummed a couple of times to keep my favorite dwarves from dying stupid deaths. Playing like that just... isn't dwarfy.

So, that's the end of that fort. Next time; we're going to micromanage more and design a fortress that thrives rather than just works. I performed no engineering in that fort, and didn't even have dedicated workshop space. That'll change next time around.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34464 on: May 04, 2014, 04:52:50 am »

Aww savescumming the fall of most of my fortresses XD

Taraq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34465 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »

Well, the Treaties of Assembling have finally set out to found Howlcrypts. We'll see how this turns out...

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34466 on: May 04, 2014, 01:07:42 pm »

It was many moons ago when the fortress was still young that I dug an underground canal to divert a branch of the river under my fortress for a well. While I was at it, I placed a couple of water wheels on it for future power generation and got a dwarf stranded while working on them. He died of thirst, alone in the dark beneath those accursed water wheels before I realized what had happened. Sadly, his sacrifice was for naught because the damn water wheels haven't turned since.

Fast forward half a decade and here I am in need of power and I decide it's time to do something about those water wheels that have been laughing at me since that first winter. I figured the best way to make the water flow is to tunnel all the way to the edge of the map and while I'm at it I install a complex, full sized power station. Now this monstrosity of a water works project bisects the entire map and involves enough water wheels to power the fortress forever. So I channel out the final square, water fills the system and... absolutely nothing happens. >:(

Can the water flow off properly at the map edge? You may need to carve some fortifications there.

Yeah, I carved a fortification properly before letting the water free. I'm not sure what's choking the flow at this point.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34467 on: May 04, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »

In my current Fortress Orbsdream my metal smith got a Fey Mood and constructed a Artifact Silver Door, which is exactly what i need to secure my holdings in the caverns when i venture into the deeps

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34468 on: May 04, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »

In my current Fortress Orbsdream my metal smith got a Fey Mood and constructed a Artifact Silver Door, which is exactly what i need to secure my holdings in the caverns when i venture into the deeps

How convenient...

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34469 on: May 04, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »

http://prntscr.com/3g7wla

(i'm terrible at posting images)
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 3842