Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2295 2296 [2297] 2298 2299 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097335 times)

Pirwzy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34440 on: May 02, 2014, 04:23:46 am »

I'm trying to train up some Hammerdwarves. To train them in the frozen arctic wasteleand I have them running around slaughtering penguins. It's quite fun to watch.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #34441 on: May 02, 2014, 04:41:42 am »

I'm trying to train up some Hammerdwarves. To train them in the frozen arctic wasteleand I have them running around slaughtering penguins. It's quite fun to watch.
Dress them in penguin leather as a warning to the others.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34442 on: May 02, 2014, 06:22:14 pm »

My Captain of the Guard is being annoying. I already gave her decent quarters and stuff and yet she insists in sleeping in her old 2x2 room, causing her to a have a negative thought. Couple with that some other negatives from being exposed to rain, being relieved from duty, and the long draft, she's been always unhappy for like every five minutes that I check on her.

Edit: In other news, a vile force of darkness had come just after posting this. I just hope my 9 swordsdwarf (including the Captain) would hold.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34443 on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »

Just generated a world that's in the twilight age.
The fact it's a pocket island probably helped.
May start a fort after Adventure Mode probing.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34444 on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »

If you thought my four-bit decoder and seven-segment-display controller were pointlessly convoluted, you'd be quite right, but this was nowhere near the maximum insanity in this design. I was unhappy with wasting so many mechanisms linking the thing up, considering it's totally possible to drag four distinct paths over a single pressure plate. My seven-segment display codeset called for a grand total of 34 signals. One segment gets switched off by three, one by four hexadecimal numbers, three by five and two by six. So i sat down with a piece of paper, sketched out the basic direction of operations and went mining.

The result is impractically big and slow, but the cart has enough speed to get through any reading path and results in the correct displayed symbols, with no more than seven pressure plates (and seven connections) for seven segments.

Paths                                      Pressure plates and bridges

The test run (going through all sixteen possible inputs) took almost two weeks.

Parts:
decoder - four input-operated bridges, seven pressure plates; one pressure plate, one hatch, one grate and one bridge for regulation/latch reset. One minecart to run the circuit.
latches - fourteen hatch covers; seven linked to the reset pressure plate in the decoder, seven to set, each run by one pressure plate in the decoder. Seven pressure plates to run the display segments. Seven minecarts.
display - seven bridges
operation - four input levers, one operation lever
58 mechanisms for the needed 29 trigger/building links. Zero power.

EDIT: i shortened the path of the seven a bit, but couldn't find anything else that i could easily improve on. The two longest paths, 1 and c (using "c" instead of "C" to better fit between "b" and "d"), are 72 (i think) and 85 tiles from the last bridge passage to the last pressure plate activated. "c" takes ~480 game steps running the proper circuit until hitting that pressure plate, but another 180 to get back to the starting hatch from there, and the regulator forces a start delay of a bit over 200 steps to actually allow working with bridges for display; so in this case, one read comes out at ~900 steps. I wasn't exagerrating when i said "impractically slow".

PS: Hooray! I got the start to last plate period for the c down a full thirty steps, and another thirty by straightening a bit of path (not shown). Now it only takes 420 (or slightly over 800 for the full read). I also managed to reduce the overall width by another three tiles, from 25 to 22. The decoder/display controller still stretches 34 tiles north to south, the display-control pathing grid itself takes up 18x22 tiles (396 area, 350 of which actual used track). I switched the pictures to this slightly improved version as of today, 3rd of May.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:54:40 pm by Larix »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34445 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »

Wait, did we just post at the EXACT SAME SECOND?
...how does that even work..?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34446 on: May 02, 2014, 07:04:25 pm »

My archers just fought off two kobold archer ambush squads while perched on a wall over a magma channel without a single dwarf dodging the wrong way.

It's the little victories.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34447 on: May 02, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

You forget the "that count" after victories.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34448 on: May 02, 2014, 08:23:56 pm »

Saved just as the siege came then game promptly crashed. Did some stuff before continuing the game starting just after the siege arrived. After unpausing and ordering all dwarves inside the fortress, a werehyena decided to show up and turned back into a dwarf a few seconds after trying to attack a Alpca unsuccessfully.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34449 on: May 03, 2014, 12:00:14 am »

It was many moons ago when the fortress was still young that I dug an underground canal to divert a branch of the river under my fortress for a well. While I was at it, I placed a couple of water wheels on it for future power generation and got a dwarf stranded while working on them. He died of thirst, alone in the dark beneath those accursed water wheels before I realized what had happened. Sadly, his sacrifice was for naught because the damn water wheels haven't turned since.

Fast forward half a decade and here I am in need of power and I decide it's time to do something about those water wheels that have been laughing at me since that first winter. I figured the best way to make the water flow is to tunnel all the way to the edge of the map and while I'm at it I install a complex, full sized power station. Now this monstrosity of a water works project bisects the entire map and involves enough water wheels to power the fortress forever. So I channel out the final square, water fills the system and... absolutely nothing happens. >:(

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:04:00 am by Melting Sky »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34450 on: May 03, 2014, 01:36:45 am »

It was many moons ago when the fortress was still young that I dug an underground canal to divert a branch of the river under my fortress for a well. While I was at it, I placed a couple of water wheels on it for future power generation and got a dwarf stranded while working on them. He died of thirst, alone in the dark beneath those accursed water wheels before I realized what had happened. Sadly, his sacrifice was for naught because the damn water wheels haven't turned since.

Fast forward half a decade and here I am in need of power and I decide it's time to do something about those water wheels that have been laughing at me since that first winter. I figured the best way to make the water flow is to tunnel all the way to the edge of the map and while I'm at it I install a complex, full sized power station. Now this monstrosity of a water works project bisects the entire map and involves enough water wheels to power the fortress forever. So I channel out the final square, water fills the system and... absolutely nothing happens. >:(

Can the water flow off properly at the map edge? You may need to carve some fortifications there.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34451 on: May 03, 2014, 04:33:31 am »

Wait, did we just post at the EXACT SAME SECOND?
...how does that even work..?

You and Larix are soulbound.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34453 on: May 03, 2014, 11:12:09 am »

Just created a new pocket world, the humans are extinct. Additionally, both the goblins and elves are at war with the dwarves.
Gonna be a fairly interesting embark. Only 1 trade partner. And a nice source of goblinite and elfnite....

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34454 on: May 03, 2014, 11:27:31 am »

Elfnite= to much wooden stuff
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2295 2296 [2297] 2298 2299 ... 3842