Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2289 2290 [2291] 2292 2293 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096974 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34350 on: April 25, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »

Speak of the devil, one of my pump operators got possessed and is making something out of bone. Let's hope its a shield!

Edit: It's a elk bird bone weapon rack. It goes with the donkey bone table, then. But it DOES have a picture of the tiny giant grouper bone axe on it, though.
Darn.
You know what, I'll make a new barracks with this as its base, for the ceremonial squad to train in.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34351 on: April 25, 2014, 08:00:41 pm »

Speak of the devil, one of my pump operators got possessed and is making something out of bone. Let's hope its a shield!

Edit: It's a elk bird bone weapon rack. It goes with the donkey bone table, then. But it DOES have a picture of the tiny giant grouper bone axe on it, though.
Darn.
You know what, I'll make a new barracks with this as its base, for the ceremonial squad to train in.

At least it gets used for the squad.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34352 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:59 pm »

It's been a long time since I even thought to complain about the interface, but oh my god trying to link 100 levers to their respective floodgates correctly SUCKS.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34353 on: April 26, 2014, 01:47:03 am »

Ownrag has finally broken a goblin siege. My useless military helped even! I let a squad of goblins across the drawbridge, pulled it, and let the traps take their toll...then sent in my squads. Rinse, repeat.

I've also had a brass buckler and quartzite mechanisms out of, surprisingly, moods that gave me some legendaries. I'm a fan of the legendary armorsmith...to go with my (somewhat recent) legendary weaponsmith. Now if only I could find some weaponable/armorable metals other than silver.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34354 on: April 26, 2014, 05:01:13 am »

Yup, I'm definitely loving Masterwork.

My fort doesn't have a natural supply of iron atm, so all those goblin ambushes I've been facing are lovely. First I cut them down and melt down their rusty iron weapons for iron, THEN I butcher their bodies and burn their bones and then turn them into Ironbone and Bloodsteel. And, if I'm fast enough, I can get their souls and extract the blood if I can.

I can kill invading goblins with goblin bone weapons and defend with goblin bone metal armor.

My major complaint atm is that I don't have a native source of platinum, and I want a few squads of mages. So I'm stuck with having to pray for soft metals and hoping that, 1, I get something and 2, that it ends up being Platinum. Or hope that kobolds or caravans have platinum items.

So far I have gotten only 11 bars after 5 years.

So......that's ONE mage.

>.<

EDIT: Or......I could just buy fresh hearts from a caravan and offer them to Armok.....platinum comes a lot more quickly.
My current project is clearing out two Z-levels. One level will be flooded with magma (thank you Masterwork Genie that can turn into Magmaling!), and the floor immediately above will be turned into a massive factory.

But I do have one question--how do you build cabinets?

They aren't showing up when I hit B-H. And I can't find them anywhere else.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:14:55 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34355 on: April 26, 2014, 05:24:04 am »

"f", I think. Or was it "h"?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:29:14 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34356 on: April 26, 2014, 05:56:06 am »

"f", I think. Or was it "h"?

it's F.

thanks.

Now I can get my dorfs to stop leaving their spare clothes all over the place.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34357 on: April 26, 2014, 08:28:49 am »

An elf decided to leave via the lowest caverns, right past a tribe of reptile men. Luckily the only one who noticed was a blowgunner, who ran out of blowdarts and started beating on the donkey. The elf got away at some point. The blowgunner swordsman swordsMASTER, sheesh, just kept beating on the donkey but couldn't land a killing blow. The donkey fought back sometimes, but it was so overburdened by all the stuff it was carrying. Eventually the donkey went berserk and threw off all its stuff, then it killed the swordsmaster. I sent my military to kill the donkey and my hauler armies got all the stuff. We ended up eating the reptile man. He was delicious.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34358 on: April 26, 2014, 12:31:29 pm »

Almost done designating unneeded metal items for melting and unneeded goblin clothing for obliteration.
Some fort in the alternate universe where items are created when drawbridges are raised is going to have one heck of a problem.
EDIT: Done, finally. 814 goblin clothes are about to be crushed out of existence.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34359 on: April 26, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »

On the 10 year anniversary of the founding of my current fort, I'm giving a list of the achievements of my founding seven.

My miner, Isi Onoikim, is a legendary miner. He went fey a while ago and made a garnierite bed. He is also in love with Ebe.
My woodworker, Sothbod Othrospilat, is a legendary woodworker and carpenter. She went fey and produced the first artifact of my fort, a fairly plain acacia grate. She is also in love with Hathur.
My woodcutter, Hathur Erodnoloc, is a farmer now. He's pretty good at everything she started out with. He is almost legendary in cooking, wood burning, and growing. He is also in love with Sothbod.
My stoneworker, Nganiz Aguvnegethac, is pretty good at everything he does, too, but not quite legendary yet.
My jeweler, Ebe Tokriori, is a legendary bone carver and an accomplished stonecrafter. She went fey and made a jackal bone shield. She is also in love with Isi.
My fish cleaner, Iguk Thilcemir, is a legendary clothier and high master grower. She has made about half the clothes now worn by my over 300 imps.
Lastly, my fisherdwarf, Vispol Isinesik, was a legendary miner. He was unfortunately killed by an elk bird a while ago, but he took the damn thing with him. He is buried in a platinum sarcophagus in his bedroom.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34360 on: April 26, 2014, 03:37:58 pm »

I have pinned down the exact cause of rotting living animals in my fort - tan demon extract.
Strangely, the two birds that were afflicted somehow only have it on their bills and appear to just be miasma farms.
I am fairly sure I could weaponize this somehow.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34361 on: April 26, 2014, 04:26:31 pm »

Seed storage room excavated, sapphires found in a dirt layer oddly enough, and a clap-trap robot was sighted across the river from Eastmark. The river is full of irradiated carp, and currently our only means of defense are some old mining drills and a crowbar. While most of the newborn town's neighbors are friendly wastelanders and ghouls, super mutants and psychotic cannibals also call the region home. At least the latter will go down easy to a crowbar strike or two to the face.

Got lucky with livestock. A Mr. Farmy is handling keeping the small brahmin and bighorner herds fed, and the dogs are happy to roam around the supply cart and pastures keeping grumpy animals away for a little while. Dunno how long that'll last though.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34362 on: April 26, 2014, 04:48:07 pm »

Ended up getting frustrated with my ineptitude with magma engineering and decided to build my forges on top of the lava lake.

Successfully found the top of the lava lake.

While excavating a border around the top of the lava lake, screwed up and accidentally released the liquid !!Fun!!

No dwarves have been hurt, and the area around the leak has been evacuated, save for a few metal ores/gems I have ordered dumped, hopefully before the lava reaches them.

And here I thought I was being SO careful with my ramps to the top of the lava lake. :(

Ah well, the top layer was fluctuating anyway, due to a leak I had made during exploratory mining while I was trying to find the lake's initial borders. Now the *new* top layer of the magma lake will be a constant 7/7, instead of mostly 7/7 and a few 6/7s

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34363 on: April 26, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »

Testing of my obsidian paving system has shown deficiencies. The result seems to be patchy, mostly due to insufficient magma output causing the magma to drain off the edge faster than I can get water to it. The answer is clearly MOAR MAGMA. To that end, I'm constructing an additional airborne magma reservoir. I really hope the additional pressure doesn't just cause the magma to shoot off the edge of the map.

I have noticed a disturbing tendency for the falling magma to do this:

^
Up
    5777X   <--Magmaduct
    5XXXX
   121 <--WTF splash
good X <--Wall
  v  X
12233X11 <--bad   Fort ->
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Aside from building the wall up until it connects to the plumbing, which I don't want to do because I want to collapse it someday, I have no idea how to prevent this.

Newtons.Bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34364 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:11 pm »

Extend the duct out one more tile?  You could also fill the gap with something that doesn't provide a support (floodgates, bridges, etc)
Pages: 1 ... 2289 2290 [2291] 2292 2293 ... 3842