Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2277 2278 [2279] 2280 2281 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094463 times)

Zachski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34170 on: April 14, 2014, 05:19:19 pm »

A combination of ADHD (actual ADHD) and varied tastes means that I play this game very off and on... which is not conducive to learning the schisting thing.

Well, been in a Dwarf Fortress mood lately so I can actually contribute for once.

Started a fortress lately.  An above ground fortress.

As of today, I've had two fey moods (which resulted in a surprisingly cheap metal bracelet and a surprisingly expensive limestone bed) and now I have a population of 83.  Half of which are children.

And a few of those children are actually helping with work, hauling and installing stuff.  I have not upgraded Dwarf Fortress in a long time so this is probably a glitch that got fixed.

Still, though, the biggest problem is that I don't have room for 83 people.  Every time I build a house, a child rushes in and claims it.  So, slowly but surely, I'm building an "apartment complex" to house some people.

In the meantime, I'm also trying to build my tavern/longhouse.  Problem is, building floors/roofs takes a lot of materials, and I'm only just now finishing with the floor of the second level.  Now I'm gonna need to build more floors, and roof on top of THAT, before I can finish the actual longhouse part of the tavern.  In the meantime I'm directing most of my beds towards the first floor.

SO

MANY

BEARDLINGS.

At least I've managed to accomplish getting iron, avoided having my grazing animals starved to death, and somehow manage to have an above farm going and going well.

We've only had one death so far, when an enraged kangaroo doe that a couple of my speardwarves were harassing (on my orders) attacked a farmer and, I'm guessing, destroyed his lungs, because he "suffocated to death" (and wasn't anywhere near water or mud).  Took me awhile to build a grave for him and a few dwarves are unhappy seeing him decay.  Bleh.

All in all, I'm not doing as well as some of you, and I'm not even READY to begin a mega project of any sort.  But...

I am happy that I'm doing as well as I am.  It'll probably be a tantrum spiral that destroys this fort, but I'm determined to make this work.

Though the lack of a surrounding wall will probably be a problem.  Working on getting a hospital up and running complete with a local ashery and soap workshop.

And hopefully, now that I have my speardwarves set to train year round, they'll actually start sparring.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34171 on: April 14, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »

It's done.
Massive detail, otherworldly value.
Its value? 18,428,400 dorfbucks. Yes, eighteen million.
Say, how do I get the text info about it down without manual typing?
EDIT: Reading through it, there are four images of itself. Less extreme than Planepacked, the grandpappy of these, but still.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34172 on: April 14, 2014, 05:40:40 pm »

So Ropeclashes (embark location, first post, the great fire) has pretty much recovered from the magma-caused brushfire, spotted several kobold thieves, is slowly building a partial perimeter wall, and all the while the magma is doing squat in terms of keeping the pool directly above molten, so I guess I only have fresh water for 20 days a year until I hit the aquifer, which could take a while assuming it's at the level of the base of the mountain. My entrance is 47z above the lowest surface z-level on my map, the top of the volcano is 3z up from my entrance/camp, and the highest peak on the map is 10z higher than that. This is a cold temperate shrubland iirc... I've had some pretty damn cold-hardy kangaroos and emus wandering about, along with more sensible falcons, badgers, and weasels).

Oh! My original reason to come and post! The first dwarven caravan just arrived. I was hoping to order pig tails (see the aforementioned freshwater issues, plus I decided for a bit more of a challenge that I wouldn't farm on irrigated stone, only on the surface/on natural soily floors in caverns, which has so far resulted in a lot of plant gathering for booze), but no(!)... the only plant he offers for import (and the only one the caravan brought) is plump helmets. On the other hand, he offered 2 sorts of kangaroo cheese for import. Rather unusual.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34173 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:07 pm »

One of my Mace Lords, who has been standing guard and sparring in front of my fortress for the last nine years, has laid down his weapon and is insisting that he is a Wrestler. He is Accomplished in wrestling, whereas he is Legendary +21 with the mace. The military menu says that he does in fact have his mace, which is patently not true. I'm considering assigning him to muck out the zombie pit.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34174 on: April 14, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »

It's done.
Massive detail, otherworldly value.
Its value? 18,428,400 dorfbucks. Yes, eighteen million.
Say, how do I get the text info about it down without manual typing?
EDIT: Reading through it, there are four images of itself. Less extreme than Planepacked, the grandpappy of these, but still.

You could always PrintScreen it, or there's a utility somewhere...

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34175 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:59 pm »

That moment when you realize there's a zombie hiding under a drawbridge that was trapped and was freed. A bunch of migrants got into my migrant proccesing place/trade depot. There was a door seperating the migrants from the zombie. Think what happens next.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34176 on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:53 am »

This bothers me more than it should.

I guess the reason it bothers me is this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34177 on: April 15, 2014, 03:15:39 am »

This bothers me more than it should.

I guess the reason it bothers me is this:

I know the feeling. The captain of one of my veteran squads has been walking around with an infected eyelid and leg for a couple of years now despite the fact that my fort has mountains of soap.

Waxonian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34178 on: April 15, 2014, 09:41:14 am »

One dwarf was walking on a minecart track and consequently killed. Don't know how it happened, just noticed the "bleed to death" message.

His best friend was the duke. Who became very unhappy. And maybe had jealously admired the socks of the dead for years, because the next thing he did was to run and pickup some items his friend left on the track.

The next minecart already had left the station...

One smashed ducal leg later I stopped the minecart traffic. After all, this duke was quite a pleasant noble, demanding nothing but amulets, so I decided to save him and let the competent hospital staff demonstrate some quality health care. Because he got rescued, received food and water, he is now happy again.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34179 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:41 am »

Massive ambush. The earring must have tipped the goblins over the edge from small little squads.
Funnily enough, one of the groups is dizzy and numb, probably from the fact this is a GLACIER.
My soldiers cut through them like a hot giant axe blade through an elf.

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34180 on: April 15, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »

Dangerhammers The Horror of Cheese fell today. It was only in the second year. The woodcutter fell to a raven corpse that managed to firmly grasp his head and shake him to death while outside. He rose not two seconds later and, unlike most zombies, proceeded to tear around the map, now partnered with a moose corpse, actively seeking anything living and methodically slapping it to death with a leather glove.

Before I realized what was going on, since the only indication of combat was "Urist McPoorSod was found dead," he made it past the main gates and flushed all the dwarves out of the fortress so they couldn't hide and close the gate. He killed them all with his deadly glove.

I re-embarked with four war dogs and they tore him apart. Fortunately, the fortress itself is not in a reanimating zone, so he will not be getting up until I finish the zombie pit I tunneled out to the forest and raise him on purpose.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34181 on: April 15, 2014, 12:50:03 pm »

At the end of my first year:

2 of my starting seven melted in the desert.
A mountain of desert sand, and an aquifer I literally dug right under.
A flooded Grand Hall, and conversely my large farm is now a part of the cistern.
7 children, 11 if you count the melted children entombed.
All water entering my fort will pass over my melted carpenter's coffin.  Mmmmm.

Otherwise, soo much obsidian, and trading went well.  got a steel anvil and several other steel goodies.

A moody carpenter-replacement made an alder earring.  Because we have such an abundance of lumber in our scorching desert.  It had to be done.  So now I have an adequate carpenter/Legendary woodcrafter.  :/

I popped the caverns, but I suspect it'll be a while before I have my treefarm/grazelands set up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:54:58 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34182 on: April 15, 2014, 01:23:48 pm »

The full might of the Fortress has been unleashed upon the caverns, the Rodemdome, the 2/3rds of the cistern and half the river submerging everything.
FLOOD! FLOOOOD! FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34183 on: April 15, 2014, 02:24:03 pm »

Just loaded up Ropeclashes again, and something just struck me. This is probably the first fort I'm playing with ASCII graphics (used Phoebus >90% of the time) after the first couple of months of when I first started playing DF (in 31.xx?). I was having a somewhat hard time telling apart the various floor types, especially from the open space tile. Turning off varied ground tiles helped a lot, but still.

So anyway, what just struck me is that part of the difficulty of telling things apart is that my fort has snow over half of the year. And the dominant soil type is white sand. So everything outdoors is just white most of the time. And ice floors (on the pools that are frozen over 11 months a year) can look remarkably similar to sand walls. Oh and if you read my previous posts, you know that I had a grass fire cover most of my outdoor camp area, and ashes are also quite light grey, and I had quite a lot of ash that I was looking at last summer. All this probably didn't help in getting used to the ASCII.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34184 on: April 15, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »

That sounds awful. Your eyes must be burning.

Today I casted the obsidian base for the tower in my river and started building the endpoints of the obsidian bridge. The pipe drainage system (four floodgates below ground linked to a pressure plate in one of my hallways) worked just fine. Also the temporary caster on the river is gone, the scaffolding not quite, ironically. Kids were swarming the site and I think four dwarves drowned in the process, but thanks to the luxurious chambers everyone is owning there are no tantrums. Not even one.
Ehendelvieche will have it's bridge.

Also the fort has 27 artifacts. My dwarves managed to tame capybaras, siamangs and cats (I'm playing with the DDD mod, so cats are not domestic for me) and rattlesnakes, alligators and dingos are trained and retrained in cages until I get breeding pairs of those.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 2277 2278 [2279] 2280 2281 ... 3842