Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2255 2256 [2257] 2258 2259 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096856 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33840 on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:21 am »

GAAAH, tried to dig around the mess and I've tapped an aquifer.

Sigh, I am gonna go make my undesirables stand in the contaminate naked and then abandon this wasteland. I know there is iron and lignite to the south and it doesn't have undead...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33841 on: April 01, 2014, 11:01:07 am »

Is there any way to make an ice generator without magma? :<

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33842 on: April 01, 2014, 02:57:48 pm »

Is there any way to make an ice generator without magma? :<
In a freezing biome? Have a reservoir and some pumps under cover, and pump the water into the open.
Turn the pumps off, mine the ice, repeat.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Alphabet Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33843 on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »

So I forgot that my queen had hunting enabled...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33844 on: April 01, 2014, 05:43:34 pm »

Well, thanks to two mods I have installed and one mod that I am currently working on, a Frankenstein esque zombie is running around with T-rex arms and the head of a cyberman.

Unfortunately he cannot do any work to aid with the production of a massive air ship that will be "tethered" to the ground with supports. Maybe one day the supports can be broken and my ship will fly!
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33845 on: April 01, 2014, 07:48:21 pm »

Next step of the "what do you mean, maximum minecart speed?" programme has been a smashing success. After some preliminary testing putting ballast into the pushing carts to increase their weight and thus momentum, i found that this totally works. Very good!

Time to take it to the next level: two-tier acceleration.

Four accelerator coils, three collisions, one ultra-fast minecart - over 8,5 tiles per step, i.e. more than three times the claimed maximum speed.

Preparation: four minecarts get accelerated, each by its own impulse ramp cycle. I don't know the exact speed at which the carts stabilise, the results say it's over 250k. The minecarts used are
one bloodthorn, containing a bloodthorn bucket - 53 kg
two palm - each 27 kg
one willow - 15 kg

All carts are dropped into equivalent spots in the circuits by hatch covers linked to a single lever, guaranteeing absolutely synchronous circulation.

Once all carts are circling nicely, a second lever gets pulled, opening all four doors at once. Again, synchronous operation is absolutely required, otherwise, you'll get garbage.

First-tier collisions:
on the southern track, the bloodthorn (older) and one palm minecart (newer) collide. Due to the layout of the track, the newer cart will receive the full momentum of the older cart. 53kg*~250k/27kg gives a resultant speed close to 500k. The bloodthorn bucket will be shot out of the minecart and must be collected and returned to the cart later.
on the northern track, the other palm minecart (older) and the willow minecart (newest) collide. The willow minecart moves off, at about 450k speed or so.
The older carts in the respective collisions come to a stop, the newer carts move off to the east and enter the second-collision track, the north-south track.

Second tier: The moving palm (newish) and willow (newest) minecart collide on the north-south stretch. Once again, the older cart transfers its full momentum to the newer cart. The resultant speed, assuming 500k on the palm cart, would be 500k*27kg/15kg, about 900k.

In fact, running the process does get this result - the willow minecart moves twenty-seven tiles in the first three steps after the collision.

To track the progress of the cart, it then is set to cycle through the closed forty-tile loop off to the northeast. Interestingly, it appears to be subject to massively increased friction: it moves 27 tiles in the first three steps, exactly eighty in the ten steps after that (avg. eight), takes 26 steps for the next 160 tiles (avg. just over six) and 22 steps for the next 79 tiles (avg. below four). After that, it appears to have braked down to terminal velocity and decelerates normally. On a first very rough guess, it appears that a supercharged cart loses something like 10 000 velocity per step when moving over floor. Ballistically launched carts appear not to be subject to superbraking (a cart launched after an ordinary binary collision reached a height of 47z when it crashed into the map border, would have gone higher for sure), so an optimally calibrated second-tier cart could theoretically be able to reach an apex of about 300 z and jump a distance of well over 1500 tiles horizontally before falling back down to the zlevel it launched from. 768 tiles are the full length of an embark area (16 embark tiles).

Next stop, third-tier collisions. I wonder if i'll get fourth-tiers to work.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33846 on: April 01, 2014, 07:49:03 pm »

My entire military, 30 dwarves with iron axe and bronze armor were transformed into ''evil ash zombies'' by the evil mountains toxic gases. The fortress has been locked downed since. There are also zombies in the sewer system trying to grab you if you activate the pump. Some humain traders were also transformed, and a few ghost are hanging out near the main tunnel entrance. So I got 3 squads of super zombies roaming the lands killing elves and others dirty surface folks. Fortunately the infection has not spread in the fortress. An isolationist mouvance is taking place. Beer Production is up so all is good. I hope zombie in water dont spread infection ? Its the same water my wounded dwarves drink.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33847 on: April 01, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »

If you have read my earlier posts then you should remember the massive amounts of elves on the map(still climbing btw). One dwarf is unconscious and is being walked over by the elves, one is out due to to losing his back teeth and still only 3-5 dwarfs dead!

EDIT: Gonna have to abandon it. Lagging out the computer now due to the fact that I'm getting half an ambush(the mounts of the elves)- 1 ambush(no mounts) every frame now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:14:46 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #33848 on: April 01, 2014, 10:52:23 pm »

*crazy minecart science*
This science blew my mind.

...Now I want to see a minecart cannon that can use these kinds of speeds. Ammo gets launched at the speed the cart was going right? I'd think extremely heavy objects could send anything flying at similar speed, if they don't flat out explode immediately.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33849 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:50 pm »

chances are that if it's dwarf fortress, it has been done already.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #33850 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:34 pm »

chances are that if it's dwarf fortress, it has been done already.
But think of the speed! Think of the insane, physics breaking, incredibly dorfy speed!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33851 on: April 01, 2014, 11:42:46 pm »

The spinning Air strikes Urist McRider in the face! The severed part sails off in an arc! x999
The spinning Air strikes Urist McRider in the skull, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain! x999
The minecart collides with an obstacle and scatters it's contents!
Urist McRider collides with an obstacle! x84
Urist McRider has been struck down!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33852 on: April 02, 2014, 12:01:28 am »

That's some sharp air you have there.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33853 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:19 am »

Had a goblin ambush. Luckily it was only a single group that didn't make it past the traps in the back entrance, because when I told the militia to gather, only the marksdwarves showed up.
And none of them had any ammo.

Seems that a) My bolt production stopped without me noticing, and b) Every single melee dwarf was in the hospital, each with a single broken limb.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33854 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:25 am »

b) Every single melee dwarf was in the hospital, each with a single broken limb.

Wrestling training does that (specifically when they throw eachother.) Leather armor can go a long ways to preventing such injuries amazingly enough.
Pages: 1 ... 2255 2256 [2257] 2258 2259 ... 3842