Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2250 2251 [2252] 2253 2254 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096474 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33765 on: March 28, 2014, 11:15:27 am »

Actually, I think you might be on to something. Zon Ablelurit was the name of my legendary spearlord footless-with-the-other-food-nerve-damaged-dwarf in my first fortress to survive. As a rookie, he survived horrendous wounds and got back on his feet in a few months only to constantly do combat drills. He survived the danger room even when falling unconscious as I had forgotten about him :D .He then proceeded to be the fastest soldier of them all, he could DRAG himself around faster than the militia commander, and without having hauling jobs enabled he would haul rocks around! Unfortunately he was killed by my vampire mayor who I had accidentally let escape...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33766 on: March 28, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »

Again, IF pressure plates factor in the carried dwarf, you might be able to find a trigger point higher than the weight of the heaviest dwarf but lower than the lowest weight of two dwarves. Injured children might still slip through, now and then, but it could probably be made to work 95% of the time.

Evidence so far speaks against that IF. I'm not going to hurt dwarfs for such a silly purpose, so i did "next best" checks:
a civilian-triggered pressure plate activating on weights of 120k+ (i.e. two dwarfs, give or take; and it was set up correctly, a yak bull triggered it) doesn't trigger when a dwarf carries a 200kg+ boulder over it, and doesn't trigger when the full fort population (excluding the yaks) congregates on top of it.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33767 on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:15 pm »

Mengost was my second fort, a peaceful jungle settlement of over a hundred dwarves, with modest riches in silver and aluminum. It had never known enemies worse than the occasional goblin thief, who where easily chased away or killed by the four hunters and the war-dog trainer. Once the defensive walls and the drawbridge were completed, it was that felt a military would be superfluous.

But the stairwell in third cavern was guarded only by a single door, and so was the fate of the fort sealed.

When the forgotten beast Zospu Ngogngoosta Esnustanu came, he quickly broke through and started laying waste to the poor civilians who worked in the nearby forges, situated on the edge of the local magma pipe.

A twenty-strong militia, quickly recruited, was unable to do more than bruise the beast.

Within a few days, over half the fortress lay dead, either to the beast itself or to the inevitable tantrums that followed.

Then, during the last desperate attempts to corner the beast down in the forges:

A stray kitten saved the fort!

For a short while. The tantrum spiral continued, and a goblin ambush a few days later killed off the rest.

Losing is indeed Fun. :)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33768 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:14 pm »

I had a forgotten beast with noxious secretions come into my fort and kill 4 dwarves. Could have stopped it, but I had to organize my spoils after a siege which made a lot of dwarves unhappy due to exposure to the elements. So far the dwarves don't they're dead yet. I've locked down the caverns until the dwarves happy again or until I did I need more adamantine.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33769 on: March 28, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »

Hate the "evil" rain at my fort. Makes the environment puke green and bruises the dwarfs. 
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33770 on: March 28, 2014, 07:10:55 pm »

Hate the "evil" rain at my fort. Makes the environment puke green and bruises the dwarfs.

My rain is blood red and causes blistering. I had a fort where I rained goblin blood in my save folder also. (Don't like it since it has too much ore...)
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33771 on: March 28, 2014, 08:52:41 pm »

Watching my dwarfs who are BRUISED and only that rest in the hospital!!!!!!!!
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #33772 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:03 pm »

Also, my spellchecker wants to correct "velociraptors" to "velocipedes." Velocipedes sound even more terrifying than velociraptors.
Velocipedes are indeed quite terrifying.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33773 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:34 pm »

You know the old saying "I'm so hungry, I can eat a horse!"?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33774 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:48 am »

The picture says it all.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

PABadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33775 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:27 am »

Just started a new fortress, Copperhills, after running around the world for about a year as an adventurer (cheated horribly, btw, savescum FTW). Left quite the little treasure trove for my new fortress, lots of weapons and leather goblinite (I'm playing year 18, so apparently nobody has invented metal armor yet. Playing this as the "last hope outpost", since the gobbos have pretty well wiped out the mountain home. My location isn't perfect, very little iron, no gypsum (and none from my civ, either), but it's got most everything else, so I'm not going to gripe too much. Just got my first caravan...and the Depot is inaccessible. Yep, Dwarf Fortress.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33776 on: March 29, 2014, 10:39:35 am »

Magma crabs. My miner is removing a floor than is attacked by a magma crab shooting lava at him. He jumps from it and falls into the volcano.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33777 on: March 29, 2014, 01:11:17 pm »

FB just appeared, marmot with external ribs. Beware its deadly dust!

It was separated from my fort because I flooded the caverns with magma. I built a way for my two legendary sworddorfs to reach it. One of them charged the beast, but was propelled by the dust of the marmot into a huge pit. So did the beast. My fully bloodsteel armored dorf fell 12 z-levels into the cavern floor, getting... JUST A HEAD BRUISE. The beast fell 9 z-levels and landed on 1 block space without any ramps around it, so it's seperated.

Sending a rescue team from my dorf, easiest FB fight ever!

edit: Dorf recovered. Put into hospital bed because he was bleeding due to dust, rested for a day or so and got evaluated without any treatment. He suddenly went from content to ecstatic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:32:49 pm by Ragnarock »
Dabbling Overseer

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33778 on: March 29, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »

FB just appeared, marmot with external ribs. Beware its deadly dust!

It was separated from my fort because I flooded the caverns with magma. I built a way for my two legendary sworddorfs to reach it. One of them charged the beast, but was propelled by the dust of the marmot into a huge pit. So did the beast. My fully bloodsteel armored dorf fell 12 z-levels into the cavern floor, getting... JUST A HEAD BRUISE. The beast fell 9 z-levels and landed on 1 block space without any ramps around it, so it's seperated.

Sending a rescue team from my dorf, easiest FB fight ever!

edit: Dorf recovered. Put into hospital bed because he was bleeding due to dust, rested for a day or so and got evaluated without any treatment. He suddenly went from content to ecstatic.

Near death experiences are prone to doing that.

Oh look, goblins. And me, without a military. Let's see just what these landmines can do....
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33779 on: March 29, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »

Playing Losing is !!Magic!!.

Built a cistern for my wells with an intake from a stream and a drain for maintenance access.
After building floodgates on both sides and linking them to levers I open up the floodgates at the intake and let miners mine out the last wall between the river and the intake. Water starts flowing in and because the distance between river and cistern is so big it takes a while.
Suddenly I see one of my unicorns down in the cistern. I look what it's doing:
"Smelt Galena ore"
Yeah, right. The floodgates at the intake are closed (the water still hasn't reached the point where they are) and the floodgate at the drain is opened to allow the unicorn to exit (maintenance access is where the drain is) so the unicorn can get out. After it left I, once again, let the two switches be flipped and the water starts flowing throught the floodgates at the intake.
After a while I see a dog in the cistern. Once again, two switches are flipped, but the dog doesn't move. First I decide that I really don't want to bother anymore and switch them once again, but then I decide that this would just cause unnecessary bad thoughts in the owner, so I open up the exit and close the intake. The dog finally decides to leave.
I close the exit and open the intake again and watch the water flowing in further. Suddenly I see there's a pegasus in there, so I repeat the whole procedure.

Three tries to get everyone out of that reservoir...
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 2250 2251 [2252] 2253 2254 ... 3842