Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2248 2249 [2250] 2251 2252 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096605 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33735 on: March 26, 2014, 09:57:11 am »

Not like I can stop you from doing it anyhow. :)

Hope you have tons of flux stone available though, because you WILL need it

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33736 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:33 am »

No worries, I'm exploiting. The only annoying thing is that the auto-melt script that makes a stockpile automatically mark items in it for melting makes my game crash after ~1 season. So I have to designate manually.

For now, I'm nicknaming Dwarves after the first name of their father, adding the number of their generation to it. I'm pretty lucky because this fortress has 12 families (and at least 4 of them have both husband and wife alive!) and no two families have the same family name. That's pretty cool.

I'd like to automate it, but it means fiddling with the memory of the game (I don't know how to do it) and the randomness of the family names makes it likely that two dwarves from different families will have the same name, so...
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33737 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:12 am »

It's really frustrating when you find the map has coal and iron but no flux.

Update on fort, all the ambushers are zombies now. Disbanded the entire army. Everyone is in the deep fort below the aquifer. Busy paving olivine and gold roads.

Probably should do something with all of these idlers, but designating tasks is soooo tedious.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33738 on: March 26, 2014, 12:49:15 pm »

I didn't know crushing invaders under a bridge is a noteworthy event for the history of the fort :D

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33739 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:44 pm »

I didn't know crushing invaders under a bridge is a noteworthy event for the history of the fort :D

You can also get engravings of drowning goblins, goblins being impaled on spikes, and goblins falling into deep chasms, depending on your array of deathtraps. Just to name a few.

_If_ creatures carrying other creatures gave a weight impulse according to the sum of their weights (i wouldn't expect it to work this way, but you never know before you try), there'd still be the problem of dwarf weights being variable: a heavy-set dwarf passing a plate alone might weigh more than a normal or scrawny dwarf carrying an injured child. Not to mention that dwarfs may sometimes get treated outside the hospital, and nurses also have a habit of "rescuing" dwarfs who got stung by a bee, an event that causes no injuries and never requires treatment.

Again, IF pressure plates factor in the carried dwarf, you might be able to find a trigger point higher than the weight of the heaviest dwarf but lower than the lowest weight of two dwarves. Injured children might still slip through, now and then, but it could probably be made to work 95% of the time.

I've also got an alternative approach. Just make a display that says "0 days since the last injury," then set some spikes on repeat in the dining hall to make sure the "clock" is always accurate!

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33740 on: March 26, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »

Can you guess what's wrong with this picture?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33741 on: March 26, 2014, 03:04:47 pm »

In other words it has 24 legs.... Now that would be fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33742 on: March 26, 2014, 03:59:21 pm »

I interpret the six legged quadruped thing as working like a centaur.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33743 on: March 26, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »

I embarked in an otherwise awesome haunted biome. A volcano in one corner of the map, flux, coal, and iron elsewhere... Everything was looking good.
I began by putting up a wall around the wagon to keep out the zombies (undead buffalo were already swarming for an attack :o) and digging out a room in the dirt to store the supplies.
Then it started raining. The miners ran outside to get drinks, and traipsed the muck all through the shelter. After a few moments, nearly everything was covered in blood.
Wait, blood?
Yeah. The rain melted the skin off my poor dwarves and they bled to death. I'm not going back there again.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33744 on: March 26, 2014, 07:33:56 pm »

I embarked in an otherwise awesome haunted biome. A volcano in one corner of the map, flux, coal, and iron elsewhere... Everything was looking good.
I began by putting up a wall around the wagon to keep out the zombies (undead buffalo were already swarming for an attack :o) and digging out a room in the dirt to store the supplies.
Then it started raining. The miners ran outside to get drinks, and traipsed the muck all through the shelter. After a few moments, nearly everything was covered in blood.
Wait, blood?
Yeah. The rain melted the skin off my poor dwarves and they bled to death. I'm not going back there again.

Unf. Dat rain..... why do I always get "Chocolate" rain which just makes my dwarves vomit uncontrollably?!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33745 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:39 pm »

Wait, blood?

I got rain that bruises everything it touches. Currently nothing bad
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33746 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:59 pm »

that is some amazingly awesome rain. wonder what kind of cloud you get in that area
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33747 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:34 pm »

I just had a lot of fun. Not the "Oh crap I'm about to loose my fort" but "Oh crap I might loose my fort but this is very interesting let me watch this."

It all started with a goblin ambush, four macemen and a swordsman. Normally such a force would have been trivial, but only a year in I didn't have a militia besides seven marksmen lacking in any melee combat skills. Resigning myself to a few losses, I station my men in the path of the goblins and immediately bolts start flying. One maceman goes down as they charge, then another, before they crash into my militia.

My Militia Commander/Mayor (almost legendary in crossbow skill) thankfully unloads into the swordsman's face before he gets chopped up. War dogs rush in and distract the other goblins while my crossbowmen continue to pelt them (from two feet away) with bolts. The battle quickly finishes, body total: two marksmen, four dogs, five goblins.

As I order my militia to secure the only way in my fort, the bodies rise from the dead- a second later my screen zooms onto the necromancer likely responsible, standing right next to a dwarven kid. As the kid's head sails off in an arc thanks to the necromancer's knife, his new thralls lay into my marksmen. The game pauses and zooms onto a different area, again, and notifies me that the dwarven caravan has arrived.

Ignoring them for the moment, civilians continue running as my marksmen fall in droves, my Militia Mayor only surviving because he ran out of bolts and I swiftly turned off his military status before he could ineffectually bash them with his wooden crossbow. He, the last member of my militia, falls back to get more bolts as my civilians get torn apart by the growing zombie horde.

Then another ambush appears, right on top of my miners working outside the fort! They scatter, the lower level ones rushing into the fort while my two legendaries lead the goblins on a merry chase through the forest. Anxiety welled up in me as I watched the goblins close in on them, only to deflate when the miners kneecapped them whenever they got too close. Somehow, this didn't send a hint to the attacking goblins so they continued crawling and eventually trapped my miners in a dead end.

Leaving them to their suicide, I zoom back to my fort just in time to see the dwarf caravan enter. The guards immediately rush to fight the zombies while the merchants dither about the gate, walking in only to see the zombie horde, running out in terror, then immediately walking back in because they forgot about the zombies. Knowing that they'd easily fall with the necromancer still alive, I set my commander to kill him.

In the time it takes for him to arrive, two guards fall and join the nudist horde. He shoots a single bolt, the necromancer drops dead, and from there the remaining guards slaughter the undead. Now I just need to deal with the tantrum spiral that will soon commence.

TLDR: Necromancers make things very fucking interesting.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33748 on: March 27, 2014, 01:11:26 am »

that is some amazingly awesome rain. wonder what kind of cloud you get in that area
Didn't live long enough to see :D

Necromancers are pretty scary. Usually I just seal the gate, and wait for the necromancer to make a camp. Then I dig a long tunnel underground to wherever the necro camped - allowing my militia to burst out of the ground and slaughter the bastard. The zombies usually go down fairly easily after that. The only time this failed was when zombies got into the tunnel before my militia got out...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33749 on: March 27, 2014, 07:49:07 am »

I'm making my walls close enough to my area's borders that they'd be able to pelt any incoming army with withering bolt fire, they were my first line of defense after all. At this point, however, it seems I may need to do a reclaim.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.
Pages: 1 ... 2248 2249 [2250] 2251 2252 ... 3842