Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2240 2241 [2242] 2243 2244 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096618 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33615 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:22 pm »

Wait, you built most of your fortress outside?
I like the underground where bizarre creatures roam freely and massive mineral deposits are exposed and prepared for mining.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33616 on: March 19, 2014, 07:00:35 pm »

A small design flaw in my ore express minecart. 

See I make a precision engineered express ore elevator in most forts since minecarts were added.  They are basically a minecart track consisting of nothing but downward slopes to get ore from the excavation level to the forge levels as fast as dwarvenly possible.  The hauler even takes a ride inside it so that when the cart reaches it's destination he can immediately push it back up for reset.   They are beautiful examples of poetry in motion with only a minimal amount of animal blood spatter.

That was before I hadn't played DF for 2 months.

This time I built it from memory but seem to have forgotten that even a 1 tile long stretch of flat track spells death.  I was reminded when the minecart used a one tile long stretch of flat track as an excuse to become airborne at the next downward ramp, and then hit the wall ejecting the hauler and all the ore.  The hauler then hit the ground hard, then was hit hard again by 4 chunks of ore, a sandbag, and the minecart which somehow ended up above him, landed on him, and then RAN HIM OVER, as it decided to ignore that little hitch and continue on merrily down the track empty, jumping the track at the forge level, fly through the forge room, somehow not hitting anyone, and plunging into the magma cistern never to be seen again.

I'm not sure if the hauler is lucky to have avoided certain doom, or unlucky to still be able to feel all the broken limbs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33617 on: March 19, 2014, 07:41:12 pm »

I have broken into four caverns during the history of my current Fortress.

Four? Are you including the magma sea or HFS? There should only be three caverns excluding those.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33618 on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »

I have broken into four caverns during the history of my current Fortress.

Four? Are you including the magma sea or HFS? There should only be three caverns excluding those.

Sorry.  One Cavern has been tunneled into from two different points.  ^_^
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33619 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:35 pm »

Behold, Bemta Uknol, The Salve of Noses, the most edgy wooden chair ever to exist:

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33620 on: March 19, 2014, 09:39:58 pm »

...As in it has a lot of edges?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33621 on: March 19, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »

Behold, Bemta Uknol, The Salve of Noses, the most edgy wooden chair ever to exist:

I still question how anything can have spikes of fiber. It's a soft element, for 'mok's sake!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33622 on: March 19, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »

considering the various gadgets dwarves can make (including a fucking sky fortress), spikes of fiber sounds like one of more logical things they could accomplish.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33623 on: March 19, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »

(Using Corrosion Mod so keep in mind zombies can infected Humans/Dwarves and turn them into zombies)

Well my fortress sadly just fell i was at about Year 4 with a population of about 140 Humans, I had a massive smelting operation occurring and i was in the process of making a second entrance into my above ground fortress through a tunnel however before i could build the walls and entrance to said tunnel i was attacked by undead.

I did not have time to seal the tunnel so i was forced to meet the undead in combat, first i sent in my war dogs again 40 or so infected it was a slaughter i lost about 30 wardogs but they took down roughly 9 infected and made 5 more easy to kill. This gave me the time needed to set up a trap area i had about 30 traps in the tunnel by the time they arrived this cut down the horde to about 20 Zombies Strong, with about 10 zombies crippled to the point they would be easy kills.

Then i had my archers move in a do a short concentrated burst of arrows which managed to kill another 10 of them, then my melee soldiers charged into battle. In the end only 4 of my guys got infected and i was very happy i sent my infected into the "Quarantine Hospital" to see if they were going to turn. However one of them decided it would be a good idea to go and sleep with his wife before going to the Quarantine Zone and he bit her and killed her when she was sleeping and i was concentrating on a hunt while this was going down by the time i realized what was happening my farmer residence had been overwhelmed with 8 zombies going door to door eating everyone.

So i freaking out and sent my "Riot Force" (4 guys with Riot Shields and 4 guys behind them with shotguns my only shotguns) And they starting clearing them out until two dead civilians changed and flanked my gunmen and my riot soldiers were then overrun by about 6 undead. Then i noticed that the Quarantine Hospital had been opened up by one of the bezerk infected people and he let out the 4 infected so i ended up having to quarantine my entire hospital building and the Farmers/Fishermans Residence. (Remember my fort is above ground)

By this time the casualties were at 20+ people making it the worse slaughter in Shield Sanctuary's history, by the time i was ready to clear out the undead in the buildings i went under siege again by the undead and they managed to break in due to my Humans not closing the gate in time which led to a even bigger epidemic in the end i had 30 people trapped in the food storage of the capital building with 50 undead upstairs (I made the Capital building a safezone and infected managed to get inside and turn before i could stop them) they ended up surviving for 4 total months before someone went beserk and opened up the door and let the last of my citizens get brutally murdered.

It was a sad day indeed....

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33624 on: March 20, 2014, 08:08:51 am »

Sounds like what happened to Syrupleaf.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33625 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:46 am »

So it turns out the reason the goblins were not wandering through the trap-lined tunnel for the very good reason that I did not actually finish the western entrance. 

Oops.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33626 on: March 20, 2014, 10:15:08 am »

My mayor apparently likes bins and crossbows.
This will be a mayor I enjoy because both of those can be made in quick order. We have too much wood and copper around :L

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33627 on: March 20, 2014, 12:24:05 pm »

So, my vampire queen arrived and guess what one of my dwarves decided to do? Go and rescue wounded on her for no apparent reason. I saw the rescue wounded job and I was like 'huh? None of the migrants have any wounds...', but the dwarf went and intercepted her halfway in the entrance tunnel and proceeded to take her to the hospital despite no wounds whatsoever.

I kind of imagined it like the dwarf runs and picks her up with her saying 'wtfHEY! Put me down! I'm uninjured!' then after the dwarf plops her in the hopsital I imagined her glaring at the dwarf like she is trying to implode/immolate/melt the dwarf with her eyes.

Anyway, I got her to her quarters and working area without any problems.

A bit ago she mandated three large gems. Yes my tyrannical queen.......

Edit: What's a reliable way of making large gems?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:29:38 pm by smjjames »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33628 on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

Cut up rough glass. It has a much increased chance of turning into large gems and is renewable.

Cutting rough gems also occasionally creates large gems, but that happens very rarely, and gems are kind of a scarce and difficult-to-replenish ressource. You can also order her to strip naked and ignore all mandates. She'll go bonkers after a while, which stops her from mandating (and eating citizens).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33629 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:43 pm »

Well, she only just arrived, so I'll see if she is more the export ban type or what.
Pages: 1 ... 2240 2241 [2242] 2243 2244 ... 3842