Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2239 2240 [2241] 2242 2243 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096614 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33600 on: March 19, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »

I miscalculated the fortress moat and had to dig an emergency tunnel so that it wouldn't flood over the bridge I built inside the fortress' river canyon.  The emergency diversion was a success, except now instead of emptying out into a cool waterfall it just flows down 20 some z-levels of slopes to flow into the river from a lower elevation.

That would be all fine and well but apparently there is a piece of wood from a tree caught in the rapids somewhere that my carpenters just HAVE to get that I can't find to forbid.  It has been dubbed the Slip-n-slide of Doom

Thanks to soundsense I hear every moment of every poor soul's trip down it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33601 on: March 19, 2014, 01:57:23 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a cruel mistress

I've just found the vampire in my fortress (thanks to DF hack)
Well 3 vampires actually
1 is my best soldier and i can't bring myself to kill him
I suppose i will just let my fortress become infested with vampires
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33602 on: March 19, 2014, 02:05:09 pm »

I miscalculated the fortress moat and had to dig an emergency tunnel so that it wouldn't flood over the bridge I built inside the fortress' river canyon.  The emergency diversion was a success, except now instead of emptying out into a cool waterfall it just flows down 20 some z-levels of slopes to flow into the river from a lower elevation.

That would be all fine and well but apparently there is a piece of wood from a tree caught in the rapids somewhere that my carpenters just HAVE to get that I can't find to forbid.  It has been dubbed the Slip-n-slide of Doom

Ah, soundsense. Helping you visualize the gory demise of poor dwarven idiots since.... 2011?

I tried to make a water basin by carving canals for water out of the river and into the fort. Then I forgot about it, and now my fortress is the basin. Death toll: everyone save a gemcutter, a carpenter/lumberjack, two archers, a hunter/butcher/farmer, and 4 children. Plus all my surface livestock. Looks like I'll be starting over from the beginning. Wait, I don't have a pick. Fuck.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33603 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »

Wait, is it a good idea to have all 67 citizens in the same 5x5 meeting room?
To be fair, the only involved animal is one stray cat.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33604 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »

Hmm.... the headcount needs to be larger and the meetingroom smaller. Try 3x3 with 150 heads.
I am curious about the results.  :P

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33605 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

I'll just see what happens without getting a larger meeting room.
Since apparently my broker is married to the Mayor I didn't know I had, things could get a bit confusing later on.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33606 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:32 pm »

(I am using the Corrosion Mod)

I just barely completed my new fort, it is only in year one but it is working very good so far it is above ground and has a large moat and only one entrance in, so far i have had only one zombie siege (The Corrosion Mod is based off of zombies and they do not need Necromancers and can turn dwarves into zombies if they bite them) and it went well with only 4 of my dwarves dying due to bites.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33607 on: March 19, 2014, 04:23:54 pm »

For some reason I can't discern, the recent kobold thieves have been armed with large silver daggers instead of the usual copper ones.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33608 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »

For some reason I can't discern, the recent kobold thieves have been armed with large silver daggers instead of the usual copper ones.
That is good, silver edge weapons can even glance of butter.
I'll just see what happens without getting a larger meeting room.
Since apparently my broker is married to the Mayor I didn't know I had, things could get a bit confusing later on.
Those mayors are replaceable, and trust me, you really don't want the dumbass your dwarves elected.
Wait, is it a good idea to have all 67 citizens in the same 5x5 meeting room?
To be fair, the only involved animal is one stray cat.
Yes! Keep the room the smallest possible, bonus if you put some chickens there.
My stockpile where I store all my metal bars is somehow nearing full.
Time to excavate a second massive room for it.
I guess it's because my ore smelting rate exceeds my metal usage rate.
Have you tried using bins?
In a time before time, I had a name.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33609 on: March 19, 2014, 05:36:52 pm »

Bins?
Bins are for elves and humans.
We only get them from our elf-sympathizing mountainhomes, the elves themselves, and the humans.
And whenever that mayor guy wants them.
Also I rejected the request to be made a Barony. A mayor is noble enough, thank you. We only need one mandatesmith here in Wadedtrades.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33610 on: March 19, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »

Bins?
Bins are for elves and humans.
We only get them from our elf-sympathizing mountainhomes, the elves themselves, and the humans.
And whenever that mayor guy wants them.
Also I rejected the request to be made a Barony. A mayor is noble enough, thank you. We only need one mandatesmith here in Wadedtrades.
But if you don't get extra nobles you won't have the royal family! Who are you going to sacrifice to the clowns send make agreements when you reach the HFS(Assuming you understand what I'm talking about)?

By the way, you can use some more dwarven *Useless metal boxes* to store stuff, and also some lead barrels for booze.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33611 on: March 19, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »

Bah, sacrifice is what the miner militias are made for.
And I'd rather fight off the HFS (yes, I know what it is, I've struck it on accident once) with one soldier who's armed with two iron short swords than give them the taste of blood with the blue bloods.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33612 on: March 19, 2014, 05:52:57 pm »

Bah, sacrifice is what the miner militias are made for.
And I'd rather fight off the HFS (yes, I know what it is, I've struck it on accident once) with one soldier who's armed with two iron short swords than give them the taste of blood with the blue bloods.
Wow, I tought you were just starting...
But I must disagree, I have a taste for throwing unhappy blue bloods for the clowns trough bridges over the clown car every now and then...

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33613 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:59 pm »

I only need one mandatesmith.
Also, a photo of the ONLY open space in my Bar/Block stockpile:

EDIT: Second bar/block stockpile fully excavated and cleared of stones.
And more migrants. I expect a siege in our future.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33614 on: March 19, 2014, 06:52:21 pm »

I have broken into four caverns during the history of my current Fortress.  Two are blocked by floodgates, one by a tiny bridge (all three which can be opened by levers) and I have finally blocked the fourth one, the deepest one, by filling the tunnel in with a wall.  I have decided I prefer cutting down trees on the surface, and the cavern mushrooms and plants that have invaded my pasture chambers where my goats and sheep enjoy their lives, than deal with the Forgotten Beasts who keep appearing.  Most of the time they die easily.  But one out of six have a habit of killing some of my best warriors, hunters, and dogs! 

I am sure we will be happy and safe within our walls once the King decides to join us. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2239 2240 [2241] 2242 2243 ... 3842