Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2238 2239 [2240] 2241 2242 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096485 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33585 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:41 am »

I want your military! Mine during sieges/ambushes just see the military and forget all their training.

Derp, there's a goblin behind me but it's not catching up. I can either run into the fortress or run around like a chicken with my head cut off!

Embarrassingly enough, I had an ambush take out an entire squad of dwarves. *sigh* Get me some migrants - I need fresh blood!

My military was built with some effort.  I started with one squad of marksdwarves and one of melee dwarves, and a quickly contructed walled fort.  I have a metal-rich world, so there were a number of workshops pumping out bone and wood bolts for practice, and magma forges for copper bolts.  I also put a priority on armouring my melee dwarves. 

I actually lost quite a few in assorted attacks--three melee dwarves due to a bridge accident and some marksdwarves to counter-fire.  I was also lucky in that the first few sieges were pretty light, and I have a large number of rangers in my migrants.  I also have walls with fortifications everywhere. 

I have a number of FB's wandering around in my caverns.  I am considering carving out some fortifications in the walls and setting the marksdwaves on them for practice.  Can FB's get through fortifications?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33586 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:55 pm »

I have a number of FB's wandering around in my caverns.  I am considering carving out some fortifications in the walls and setting the marksdwaves on them for practice.  Can FB's get through fortifications?
Yes, If they can fly and there's no roof overhead...

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33587 on: March 18, 2014, 01:29:53 pm »

Fealtyhoof, 76, Month Ithinkmygenitalsjustshrankinthecold

These ponies are SCARED OF FUCKING VULTURES. What the hell is it going to do, peck you to death? Fucking idiots. Anyways, started building a water basin for an indoor well. Then the vultures came along, so everyone's running around with a stream of fear-piss behind them instead of working. I'd order the military to kill a few of the damned birds, but melee weaponry isn't the best for killing flying things. Man I wish we had some guns.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

sl4very

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33588 on: March 18, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »

I was a little bit slow this time on setting up my defence. Means that the wall arround the entrance of my undergroud fort was not completed when the first ambush took place.  About seven goblins showed up right next to the entrance. My military consists of four meele-dwarfs with weapons only and no armour. Also a lot of civilians were running arround outside, collecting wood and other stuff. They seemed to be the first victims, even when my military would have been finally appeared. This was the moment when I inwardly gave up this fort.

But then a miracle occured!
One of the civilians was a Miner who did some "channel out work". She was the one closest to the goblins and was encircled by them very soon. She was equipped  with only a copper pick but all my good hopes, when she entered bloody hand to hand combat. And then she dodged and blocked every strike to my and our enemies suprise. Finally she killed one of the goblin dudes with one strike (that Kind of "... sailed of in an arc - strike") and all other goblins flew. They just flew...

Her Name is Rith Emeshtan she is a hero! She made my day!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33589 on: March 18, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

High-level miners are a sight to behold when they actually use their picks in combat. I remember a similar case where a miner took a completely wrong turn and ended up attracting a full squad of enemies. She ran away from them successfully, save for a single persistent and quick Lasher - who turned tail and ran when the lasher's only strike was answered by a counterstrike opening an artery.

The main objective of the "Single Mother" fort has been reached: on the first of Moonstone 1069, Rith's first, and on the 18th Granite 1070, her second grandchild was born. They list each other as cousins, but i'm not sure if i'll spend the twelve game years to wait and see if cousins are allowed to marry in DF. I'm really running out of useful things for the aboveground dwarfs to do. Tree re-growth is extremely sluggish and often appears to stop completely, which is beyond annoying in such a fort, since wood is a crucial ressource there. I could allow Mebzuth the elder to keep hunting, but that'd glut the food stores beyond reason, not to mention overloading on worthless bone crafts/armour pieces with absolutely no use.

As a somewhat unorthodox feature for an aboveground fort, one of the dwarfs is a legendary engraver, and another is a Great Jeweller (both Gemcutter and Gemsetter). Four of the six adults carry a crossbow and shield as permanent uniform and have at least novice marksdwarf skill. Tholtig, the boy with the terrifying speed attributes (very clumsy, very poor spatial and poor kinesthetic senses when he came of age; he moved about as quickly normally as his sister did when sneaking at "skilled") still has pretty poor speed, but is at least no longer abominably slow - agility is in the normal range, and spatial and kinesthetic senses probably only one category below average ("meagre" and "questionable").

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #33590 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:39 pm »

Fealtyhoof, 76, Month Ithinkmygenitalsjustshrankinthecold

These ponies are SCARED OF FUCKING VULTURES.
Ha, I remember this one time during the short time I played with the pony mod, my unicorn mayor of my town decided to redecorate the front of his house...With vulture guts. See, a vulture got just a bit too close to him while he was going into his house. He just splattered it all over his house with nothing but his bare hooves and his horn. no magic, no combat skills, no equipment, only pure vulture carnage. There was vulture blood allllll over the front of his house. I can imagine the neighbors' reactions.

This was the first moment of combat I had. It was hilarious.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
  • A young philosopher playing DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33591 on: March 18, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »

Hi all, i think this might be my third post.

Currently i am playing my second fort. The fort is its forth year. As u can see i am confronted with my first non goblin ambush. Funny enough, the Minotaur killed a depressive trader. I call him depressive, because he was staying on the edge of the map, since a goblin ambush fucked his colleges 2 years ago. He didn't want to migrate, he stayed there summer and winter, autumn and spring and even survived another goblin ambush, though i have no idea how.

My military trained for 2 years and three of them even survived the ambushes. ATM i got 10 dorfs in the squad, most of them got copper weapons, some copper armor, and sometimes ironstuff.  Do you think my squad will survive this attack? Should i raise my bridge and stay in base, cowardly elvenstyle?

Depressive Trader meets his end:

Greetings.

PS. I am sorry for my mediocre english.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33592 on: March 18, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »

What with all the excitement of goblin ambushes and trying to rein in the food production, I neglected to pasture a couple of horses and a mule I bought from the caravan. Well a horse and mule turned up 'missing for a week' and I found the corpses inside the cages and told the dwarves to dump them. So, despite the fact that no dwarves had the faintest idea where these bodies were,  they walked straight up to the cage, hauled the body to the garbage dump, dropped it and only then exclaimed "Almighty Armok! I've found the missing animal and it's dead"

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33593 on: March 18, 2014, 11:48:16 pm »

Have to move a bunch of stone up about ten z levels, so I figured it was time to start using minecarts... Now I have a stop on every corner telling me it won't work, but the dwarfs don't seem to give a damn and follow the route perfectly...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lying HUD is not my friend

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33594 on: March 19, 2014, 02:40:15 am »

That's normal.
If you draw a square ABCD, and put stops on A and C, the shortest route between A and C crosses the center of the square. But if you draw the same square ABCD and put stops on A, B and C, then the shortest route between A and C that stops at B is AB->BC. That's what your dwarves are doing.

So either you haven't built track stops on your route stops, or the route stops are not set to the correct direction. Both problems won't change the behavior of the dwarves. Well, they may be carrying the minecart instead of guiding it, but their path does not change, at least.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33595 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:46 am »

The first combat of my first goblin siege.

Code: [Select]
The Goblin Maceman charges at The Stray Kitten!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Stray Kitten in the upper body with his ({iron morningstar}), tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the liver!
The Stray Kitten is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Stray Kitten's head skids along the ground, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The Stray Kitten has been knocked unconscious!
The Stray Kitten slams into an obstacle!

Even after my dwarves engaged them, the bowman that had accompanied the goblin party continued to shoot at the stray cats wandering around. Meanwhile, Amost Obokatol, an Axedwarf, seemed distressed at the death of the kitten and charged into the fray without waiting for his allies to join him,

Code: [Select]
The Goblin Maceman strikes at The Axedwarf but the shot is blocked!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left hand with his ({copper mace}), bruising the fat through the �iron left gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left upper arm with her ({copper flail}), bruising the muscle!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right upper arm with his ({iron morningstar}), tearing the muscle!
The Goblin Maceman attacks The Axedwarf but She scrambles away!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left lower arm with his ({copper mace}), bruising the muscle through the �iron left gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left hand with her ({iron mace}), bruising the muscle through the �iron left gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left upper leg with his ({copper morningstar}), chipping the bone through the �iron greaves�!
An artery has been opened by the attack and a tendon has been torn!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left hand with her ({copper flail}), bruising the skin through the �iron left gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman stands up.
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left upper arm with her ({iron morningstar}), tearing the muscle!
The ({iron morningstar}) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Axedwarf has become enraged!
The Goblin Maceman strikes The Axedwarf in the mouth with his ({copper shield}), bruising the left cheek!
The Goblin Maceman stands up.
The Goblin Maceman twists the embedded ({iron morningstar}) around in The Axedwarf's left upper arm!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the head with her ({copper flail}), but the attack is deflected by The Axedwarf's *iron helm*!
The Goblin Maceman punches The Axedwarf in the right eye with his right hand, bruising the right eyelid's skin!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left foot with his ({silver morningstar}), fracturing the bone and shattering the left ankle's bone through the �iron high boot�!
A motor nerve has been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
A ligament in the left ankle has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the tongue with her ({iron morningstar}), tearing apart the left cheek!
The Goblin Maceman kicks The Axedwarf in the left cheek with his right foot, bruising it!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the head with his ({silver morningstar}), tearing the muscle and tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue through the *iron helm*!
The Axedwarf strikes at The Goblin Maceman but the shot is blocked!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the lower body with his ({silver flail}), but the attack is deflected by The Axedwarf's �iron greaves�!
The Goblin Maceman kicks The Axedwarf in the nose with his right foot, tearing apart the cartilage!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right lower leg from the side with her ({copper flail}), but the attack is deflected by The Axedwarf's �iron high boot�!
The Goblin Maceman strikes The Axedwarf in the head with the pommel of his ({copper morningstar}), bruising the skin through the *iron helm*!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left upper leg with his ({silver flail}), but the attack is deflected by The Axedwarf's �iron greaves�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right lower arm from the side with his ({iron morningstar}), fracturing the bone through the �iron right gauntlet�!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Goblin Maceman kicks The Axedwarf in the head with his left foot, bruising the skin through the *iron helm*!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right upper arm from the side with her ({copper flail}), fracturing the bone!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the upper body with his ({silver flail}), but the attack is deflected by The Axedwarf's �iron breastplate�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right hand with her ({copper flail}), bruising the skin through the �iron right gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right upper arm with her ({iron mace}), jamming the bone through the right shoulder's muscle and fracturing the right shoulder's bone!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right hand with his ({iron morningstar}), tearing the muscle through the �iron right gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left lower arm from the side with her ({copper flail}), bruising the skin through the �iron left gauntlet�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the upper body with his ({silver flail}), but the attack is deflected by The Axedwarf's �iron breastplate�!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the right lower leg with his ({silver morningstar}), chipping the bone through the �iron high boot�!
An artery has been opened by the attack and a motor nerve has been severed!
The Goblin Maceman bashes The Axedwarf in the left upper arm with his ({silver flail}), fracturing the bone!
Amost Obokatol has bled to death.

He died a valiant fool.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33596 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:41 am »

My fort just got attacked by a forgotten beast.
Moments after, one of the miners got struck with a secretive mood and made a wooden ring.
This will go nicely with the cheap millstone we got from the previous mood.

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33597 on: March 19, 2014, 10:25:44 am »

I'm trying to hunt down a vampire that has almost succeeded in hunting down every last child in my fort
This has benefited me far more than it should
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33598 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »

Just had a floor collapse. The ice bolder punched a hole in the ice and destroyed my carpenter's shop. No one was hurt, but I find this hilarious. Just imagining my dorfs reacting to this situation, going aw derp.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33599 on: March 19, 2014, 01:24:51 pm »

My stockpile where I store all my metal bars is somehow nearing full.
Time to excavate a second massive room for it.
I guess it's because my ore smelting rate exceeds my metal usage rate.
Pages: 1 ... 2238 2239 [2240] 2241 2242 ... 3842