Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2232 2233 [2234] 2235 2236 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095654 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33495 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »

Blamelesscloister, spring of the year 94 (34th year of the fort)

this year's force of darkness failed to demolish anything. The troll force was sufficiently decimated by the lead carts jumping over the trench that they lost all coherence and got stuck against various pieces of furniture. Two needed picking off by the marksdwarf squad. The goblins patiently filed into the mill and boosted the entire grinder's death count to ~370. 70 units were killed, of which about 50 in the grinder. Apart from the shot trolls, five goblins were killed by repeating spikes and about five more by weapon traps. Two managed to make it to cages. We have 84 chained prisoners now, five in solitary confinement, 79 in communal cells. Population count is up to 104.

The only dwarven life lost in the siege was that of a hammerdwarf mercenary who forgot to leave with the caravan and was instantly kerb-stomped by two massive goblin squads. She/he(?) was interred in a nice clear glass sarcophagus and their <copper war hammer> installed in a weapon trap next to it.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33496 on: March 11, 2014, 08:29:33 pm »

just caught a humanoid made of rose quartz with poisonous vapours. I don't know what the vapor does, but it was apparently non-lethal given that I exposed a giant cave spider to it for days without anything bad happening to it.

To liven up morale, I put a caged snow demon inside the meeting mall. The dwarves can jeer at it all they want, but they can't poke it or else it might collapse.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33497 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:05 pm »

As a stream of refugee animals and civilian dwarves retreat into the
fortress from the surface, the remaining military of The Folded Banner
stand between the barracks, open to the surface, and the children,
babies and mothers fleeing deep into the shelter by the cavern.
90 elf corpses are on the march to slaughter every living dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33498 on: March 12, 2014, 12:17:42 am »

My fortress is nearly dead, it has so many corpses that miasma is everywhere, 4 dwarves are left, and tantrums are happening alot.
EDIT: I got migrants fortunately.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:22:54 am by Drewigi »
Strike the earth!

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33499 on: March 12, 2014, 12:58:38 am »

Elves will eat anything, non?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33500 on: March 12, 2014, 02:08:50 am »

Donner, party of two?

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33501 on: March 12, 2014, 10:28:08 am »

So far so good at Lensclasped.  I have had a respite from the sieges.  I decontructed the bridge across the stream.  The only easily pathed crossing now a narrow tunnel that is chock full of serrated copper-disked goodness.  I am looking forward to the next invasion.

I am also hollowing out a throne room in the lowest levels possible.  I expect it to be a fully engraved, multi-z levels, a magma river, and piles of gold everywhere.  Perhaps it will be a feasting hall as well.

I have an idea to contruct a water and magma waterfall on the surface, but that may be some time in the future.  I need sufficient magma proof mechanisms.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33502 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:46 am »

Blamelesscloister, Summer 94

An exception from previous years, we got two large goblin assaults from two active seasons. Those aren't particularly interesting, since the goblin lawmaker (some demon or other) already showed up and got smacked by a minecart, so the goblin civ has nothing but goblins and trolls to throw at us. ~100 units showed up, about seventy got carted, ten trolls were frozen. As a rare and appreciated exception, the elven caravan not only showed up before the siege spawned, they also made it inside through the freezer path (operated by pressure plates, so no danger to merchants) and got to trade normally. I think we're up to two elven caravans getting through in seven years.

Litast Kadolducim, the child who caught and survived six goblin arrows, has grown up and has been added to his mother's archery "squad" (he's the third member). He's only a novice yet, but he has few obligations other than training at the archery range, so shouldn't take over-long to become effective.

Oh, and one of the prisoners apparently sustained infections in the wounds and died in prison. On the upside, that's another loincloth freed for fort denizen usage. On the downside, we're once again two prisoners away from filling up the second cell block, and no-one got caught this season.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33503 on: March 12, 2014, 01:04:44 pm »

not the desired effect.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33504 on: March 12, 2014, 03:53:43 pm »

Noticed while looking at the remains of a kobold ambush:

Shields are "one size fits all", but their dimensions are still adjusted for the creature spawned with them. I confirmed in the arena: a dwarf gets a 28 kg platinum shield, a kobold a 9 kg one, and a sperm whale man one that weighs 8441 kg. (If you add a shield to a creature that can't wear it, you get a weightless, i.e. "<1kg" shield, both for a cavy and for a giant sperm whale.)
Presumably, all shields are equally effective at blocking attacks, but since weight appears to be the most important factor for the efficiency of shield bashes, human-made shields should provide a small advantage - according to an arena check, human-made copper shields weigh 13kg vs. 11 for a dwarven one. Unfortunately (?), humans appear to be the largest creatures that will have metal shields fashioned for them in an unmodded game.

Weapons are one-size-fits-all, too, but are not adjusted to creature size.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33505 on: March 12, 2014, 04:04:13 pm »

Noticed while looking at the remains of a kobold ambush:

Shields are "one size fits all", but their dimensions are still adjusted for the creature spawned with them. I confirmed in the arena: a dwarf gets a 28 kg platinum shield, a kobold a 9 kg one, and a sperm whale man one that weighs 8441 kg. (If you add a shield to a creature that can't wear it, you get a weightless, i.e. "<1kg" shield, both for a cavy and for a giant sperm whale.)
Presumably, all shields are equally effective at blocking attacks, but since weight appears to be the most important factor for the efficiency of shield bashes, human-made shields should provide a small advantage - according to an arena check, human-made copper shields weigh 13kg vs. 11 for a dwarven one. Unfortunately (?), humans appear to be the largest creatures that will have metal shields fashioned for them in an unmodded game.

Weapons are one-size-fits-all, too, but are not adjusted to creature size.
Good SCIENCE right here. Have you run tests on the blocking capacity?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33506 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »

I haven't looked at this thread in a while.

City Laborfords, Late Winter 240; 136 135 beards, 1 berserker

So much fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Much less worried about the continued survival of the fort now that I know dwarves who've made artifacts are immune to insanity. Unfortunately, the Avatar of MrWillsauce did not have time to make an artifact and is now melancholic. Ah well!

And the berserker is fresh. Haven't even unpaused from the recenter announcement.
At least let me suicide in a really brutal way (I know I probably died a long time ago).

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33507 on: March 12, 2014, 07:29:59 pm »

Shipkeys has rebounded, only one unhappy, and it was a strange mood craftdwarf who would not get to the workshop, his suicide will happen soon.
Strike the earth!

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33508 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »

Ropetastic?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher