Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2225 2226 [2227] 2228 2229 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096139 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33390 on: March 03, 2014, 10:13:17 am »

Ustanoddom, "Blamelesscloister", 1st of Slate 93, 33rd year of the fort.

Dwarfcount has come up to 99. Dialling goblin seasons back down to two (Winter and Spring) helped a lot in preserving overseer sanity. With two successful trading sessions, it was possible to keep FPS stable and maybe even gain one or two back. We must have exported over 50k in raw goblinite - base-quality troll fur socks and similar junk - which turned into almost 200 pages for the humans to pack. We blocked the main caravan gate before their arrival, so they wouldn't bring wagons; with humans, wagons don't mean more desirable goods, they just mean more carrying capacity to cart shit off the map. And clothes aren't that heavy, although we had to buy a yak, three lumps of fire clay and a few metal bars to stay under their weight limit.

The elves spotted some illegal decoration on something i tried to trade them and left in a huff (but still without some booze and barrels, which were confiscated). The dwarven caravan brought the requested leather and ores, and took another batch of crummy clothes away.

And since no year is complete without a little fun, there was a kobold ambush and a whole dozen thieves over the year. The ambush nicked both feet of a human caravan guard but failed to hurt the merchants, which was, to be honest, the only thing i was really afraid of here.

And there was a siege in winter, but with no caravan to clash with them and the terrifyingly effetive minecart grinder, the only question was how many more kills the ☼nickel silver minecart☼ would get. It made it to 241. The freezing trap (glacier bordering on aquifer-bearing taiga, so the actual freezer is completely underground) works, but i'll have to see if i can improve its capacity, and the handling of unfrozen captured units.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33391 on: March 03, 2014, 11:04:43 am »

I am bored.

Also, CRUNDLE CRUNDLE CRUNDLE CRUNDLE CRUNDLE CRUNDLE CRUNDLE..... Too many damn crundles, where the hell are the GCSes!?!?!

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33392 on: March 03, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »

-Easily killed Forgotten Beast-
Any FB that spits something is typically easy to dispatch because that's the only way they ever attack. So long as you have a decent military they won't put up much of a challenge.

The ones you need to watch out for are the ones with deadly dust, noxious fumes, deadly blood, or the web spewing ones.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33393 on: March 03, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »

After losing two successive caravans, the elves showed up again.  Learning from the last spring, and from the dwarf caravan fiasco, I mobilized the entire militia to cover their journey to my silver-domed trade depot.  (It's a silver gazebo with gold statues on top.  I am quite proud of it).

Sure enough, a vile force of darkness arrived.  I properly activated the civilian burrow to bring everyone inside, and moved my militia to their positions, covering the elves.  Once the elves were safely within the walls, I pulled back my military, keeping the melee fighters protecting the entrance, and the marksdwarves in the towers overlooking the entrance.  I gave the order to raise the drawbridge.

The goblins charged towards the open entrance.  They were peppered by bolts from the towers.  A secondary force came up from the southwest, and were met with bolts from the Keep fortifications.  After severely degrading the southern force, the Keep marksdwarves were reassigned to the guard towers to meet the remaining goblin melee fighters, crossbow goblins, and trolls.  Within a short period of time, the remaining melee fighters were defeated, and either fled of lay dying.  A small squad of cross-bow goblins remained under cover behind two unfished tower bastions.  The front gates were opened, allowing the melee squads to finish the job. 

The trading with the elves was completed.  No outright deaths so far, however, one of the marksdwarves was wounded by a lucky shot when he was in an exposed position on the wall.  One death was noted--that of a Trader.  I am uncertain who the trade is, since he is clearly not my Broker.

Overall, a good result.  Lessons learned include raising and fortifying the wall surrounding the entrance, creating a new squad of marksdwarves, finishing the tower bastions in front of the entrance, and building a new exit to the fortress to allow the melee squads quicker and easier access.

The goblins skeletons are piling up in front of the fortress.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33394 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:51 pm »

I will never again play with magma!
While it made a nice (outdoor) defense for my fortress in turned to ash all the plants.  :'(

Nope it didn't spread into the land, I was carefull when I made my trenches.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33395 on: March 03, 2014, 04:57:44 pm »

I will never again play with magma!
While it made a nice (outdoor) defense for my fortress in turned to ash all the plants.  :'(

Nope it didn't spread into the land, I was carefull when I made my trenches.

Get yourself a nice 2 wide paved road around the outside of your magma moat.  Saves you the trouble of trees growing on the edge... and lighting the world on fire.

Though, sometimes that's just fun.  8)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33396 on: March 03, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »

Your magma burned all the plants? You newb! You can never beat my hunter who used a fire arrow when hunting a coyote which burned half the map and the fire passed THROUGH my raised bridge and into my courtyard.
Most of the animals and the dwarfs had the common sense to get inside the fort except two: one dude who was on a break and couldn't be bothered to move from the river shore and another one who of course disobeyed all orders. Guess who perished? The dude who had about 333x chances to get inside! He melted or something, no body of his anywhere, or in the river. In the meantime, Urist McImonbreak, didn't even bother to move and he survived, finished his break and went inside to take a nap, passing through the smoking fields without a care in the world(he did complain about some miasma inside, mind you :) )!
And now everyone is too busy to make drinks?! In a dwarf fort?!
I really must learn to play with Masterwork mod better :D

Cheers

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33397 on: March 03, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

I assume Forgotten Beasts are not always so.....disappointing?  They don't even make engravings about the event!

Heh.  No.
First procedurally generated nasty that attacked me with deadly dust wiped out the entire fort by himself; the dust conferred a vicious syndrome that caused massive bleeding out of the skin and was contagious.  A lone hunter took it out with a lucky crossbow bolt to the head after it had killed all but a handful of my military, but the rest of the population had tracked in the residual dust before I realized what was happening and all of them (250+ beards) were dead within a month.  And it wasn't pretty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33398 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:20 pm »

I assume Forgotten Beasts are not always so.....disappointing?  They don't even make engravings about the event!

Heh.  No.
First procedurally generated nasty that attacked me with deadly dust wiped out the entire fort by himself; the dust conferred a vicious syndrome that caused massive bleeding out of the skin and was contagious.  A lone hunter took it out with a lucky crossbow bolt to the head after it had killed all but a handful of my military, but the rest of the population had tracked in the residual dust before I realized what was happening and all of them (250+ beards) were dead within a month.  And it wasn't pretty.

Yeah, sometimes FB syndromes can kill FAST. They can have their moments of awesome too, one FB (not the current fort) which was a web spitting theropod (maybe it wasn't web spitting, but it was a theropod) managed to grab one of my hammerdwarfs weapons and brained several of my military with it before a bolt caused it to drop the weapon.

OTHER times, they can be horribly pathetic, like this mud titan whose syndrome only caused temporary unconsciousness and a rotten stomach. I'm sure you can imagine how ineffective the things attacks were.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33399 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:05 pm »

I need inspiration.

Carnagemines is probably going to die a slow death to tantrum spiral, starting as soon as little FB12 dies. The little idiot is friends with half the fort, including every single dwarf still in the danger zone of unhappiness. Add to her death the impending dehydration of that other idiot who went melancholy, and I have a time bomb waiting to go off. I'll have twenty five or thirty miserable dwarves in under two months and it'll just get worse from there.

Valefortress has framerate issues and it just gets tiring dealing with the same old stuff day in and day out. Magma landmines and evil gas clouds annihilate everything that sets foot on the surface, exploits save all the caravans from the same fate, and the fortress has half a billion dwarfbucks of meals waiting to be traded. I had over 40,000 prepared meals for a while there... not to mention all the booze. Danger room exploits gave me an insane military of axedwarves and a duchess by the name of Boot Ironstandards who is capable of singlehandedly massacring the entire human caravan without receiving a scratch. Adamantine is flowing but there's really no reason for me to use it. And I wouldn't have much difficulty trapping and killing the entire clown car with a few well-placed artifacts in a cave-in trap. My child care system was taking too long to get off the ground and the gains were pretty low, so that project was more or less abandoned although the little badass is still sitting in her cage with a bunch of peacocks getting scratched and bit every day. She's totally used to tragedy but I don't need a military and nobody ever dies around here.

Tombcoasts has over fifteen hundred zombies in a reanimating biome with vile gas aboveground that transforms everything into husks. I had a plan to flood the caverns with magma and destroy all the corpses that way, but it's probably not feasible. Framerate is so bad that playing until I had enough dwarves to even THINK about fighting the hordes with a military would take several long, horrible years.

And starting new fortresses is just a pain in the ass. I have a standard embark setup that I use, but it's not very well finessed and it tends to misallocate skills among my dwarves, since it doesn't check them for reasonable attributes first like I do when I manually embark. Plus, I always either overshoot on difficulty or undershoot: too difficult and therefore no fun, or not hard enough and therefore boring.

How is it that DF gets boring? It's the most complicated game I've ever known and it held my attention to the point of addiction for several months when I first picked it up, but now it's often just a grind, or it feels stupid and dumb (when I lose the fort's only pick in an aquifer or something). Any way I can milk it a little more without mods?

Or should I just wait for the next update...?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33400 on: March 03, 2014, 08:44:34 pm »

Same here, I'm bored with my 70+ year old fort, probably a combination of release anticipation and other stuff.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33401 on: March 03, 2014, 08:57:15 pm »

Image,

When I get like that... I take a 6 month break.  I recommend it, does the brain some good.  Get into another game (or 3).  Remember why DF is fun.  :)

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33402 on: March 04, 2014, 02:11:30 am »

Every game has the same effect if not updated regularly.

Edit : my dwarf is giving food to my restrain bull ?! What trait is that ?!!
http://puu.sh/7ivAs.png

Don't feed my cows with meat !  :o
http://puu.sh/7ivGI.png
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:00:32 am by Chaos17 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33403 on: March 04, 2014, 12:44:27 pm »

Decided to try and injure my vampire to fix her tiredness, got her leg broken, decided to try to get her a bit more injured, BAM, headshot. DOH! And she was wearing steel armor, but um yeah, gabbro boulder to the face.....

*savescums*

Got her injured enough to get a recover wounded job and a rediagnosis fixed the stuck diagnosis. No idea how to fix the permanent tiredness, which isn't from a FB.

Dammit, this particular dwarf is still glitched as far as healthcare goes and I had tasked her to go kill some rutherers.

*a bit later*

HEY!, THE COMMUNUAL BEDROOM IS NOT WHERE YOU HUNT RUTHERERS!

I think I'll just kill this dwarf and get it over with.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:21:48 pm by smjjames »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33404 on: March 05, 2014, 09:40:21 am »

I am trying to produce large amounts of sunshine for trade and general happiness in my fort
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 2225 2226 [2227] 2228 2229 ... 3842