Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2224 2225 [2226] 2227 2228 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096314 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33375 on: March 02, 2014, 07:22:02 pm »

My cooks are making roasts out of frozen donkey milk...

How do you get frozen donkey milk in DF anyway and still have it considered a food item?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33376 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41:07 pm »

My cooks are making roasts out of frozen donkey milk...

How do you get frozen donkey milk in DF anyway and still have it considered a food item?

Really cold biome so it freezes in its barrel, I think.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33377 on: March 02, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »

It's a temperate biome actually. You'd think having the kitchens right next to the volcano would make the milk melt, though.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33378 on: March 02, 2014, 09:28:15 pm »

The elves just brought a female tame giant desert scorpion. They didn't like my trade offer, so I took the thing, along with some other stuff. Gonna hope I luck out and they bring a male later.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33379 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »

The elves just brought a female tame giant desert scorpion. They didn't like my trade offer, so I took the thing, along with some other stuff. Gonna hope I luck out and they bring a male later.

Unless you've already fixed it or are playing a mod that fixes it, giant desert scorpions cannot breed, since they don't have a child token.

It can still be fixed in an ongoing game, just make sure the game isn't running when you make the changes to the scorpion.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33380 on: March 02, 2014, 09:54:12 pm »

Unless you've already fixed it or are playing a mod that fixes it, giant desert scorpions cannot breed, since they don't have a child token.

It can still be fixed in an ongoing game, just make sure the game isn't running when you make the changes to the scorpion.

Thanks, I'll have to adjust that... I used to have raws that I adjusted to make every creature trainable as war and hunting animals, but I lost them. Should have given child tokens to everything too.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33381 on: March 02, 2014, 10:50:06 pm »

Giving things [CHILD] tags may break the boundaries of what I consider to be cheating, but dragon lineage forts like VerdantSF's are freaking awesome. Aaaaaaand I'd love to have Giant Desert Scorpions, too, so I guess I won't complain.

I look upon [TRAINABLE] much more favorably. Because, hey, why can't my dwarves train hyenas and giant badgers if they can train bears and lions? I mean really, Toady. Really.

So Giant War Badgers are kinda cool.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33382 on: March 03, 2014, 01:46:53 am »

It started with a were-rat bite - a visiting lycanthrope managed to maul a crafter before it was taken down by my hunters.

Then the crafter turns, bites two more before returning to dwarf form. Now there are two injured dwarves in the hospital, and one uninjured crafter.

Next cycle, the two injured dwarves turn, biting still more. One of them is killed by the militia I've hastily cobbled together, but there's an unexpected result - the were-crafter turns back into dwarf form before my militia commander lands the final few blows, and he is now marked as an enemy of the fort - he mortally wounds one of his underlings before succumbing to multiple bolts. In the confusion I lose track of how many other dwarves are bitten by the were-rats.

I frantically set up a barracks and try to get the militia trained enough that they can take out the remaining were-rats before the disease spreads further through the fort.

Next cycle, we have five were-rats, including the expedition leader/broker.  Half the militia dies, including my pet black bear. This time the loyalty cascade caused by attacks on were-rats that have just returned to dwarf form is unchecked, and most of the civilians start pounding on each other.

So here we are. An injured hunter is holed up on top of my unfinished defense tower, taking potshots at any dwarf that wanders into the courtyard. The expedition leader is meeting with the dwarven liasion in the forest outside the gates - the moment he turns, he'll probably kill the liaison. The rest of the fort is a bloody, brawling mess in the middle of a full-out civil war. We are down to ten dwarves from the original fifty-seven, three of which are were-rats (militia commander, expedition leader and a weaver). Every time they turn they regenerate all their injuries including lost limbs, then start hunting down the other dwarves (who are busy fighting each other).

I wonder if I'll end up with a stable were-rat fort, or if the loyalty cascade never ends.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33383 on: March 03, 2014, 01:59:22 am »

So here we are. An injured hunter is holed up on top of my unfinished defense tower, taking potshots at any dwarf that wanders into the courtyard. The expedition leader is meeting with the dwarven liasion in the forest outside the gates - the moment he turns, he'll probably kill the liaison. The rest of the fort is a bloody, brawling mess in the middle of a full-out civil war. We are down to ten dwarves from the original fifty-seven, three of which are were-rats (militia commander, expedition leader and a weaver). Every time they turn they regenerate all their injuries including lost limbs, then start hunting down the other dwarves (who are busy fighting each other).

That's hysterical.  Thanks for posting that.

I can just picture the hunter up there. "I'm gonna be eatin' me some o that RAT meat here... Just you wait, boys...  I'll show ya."
« Reply #33384 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:56 am »

I have built a cistern to hold water from the river that freezes in the winter. For some reason, the well house I build over it on the surface make a spike of ice from the tile the well was on, all the way to the bottom of the cistern; destroying the well in the process. So now I am trying to figure out how I can make a new well somewhere, without blowing out water all over my fort due to the pressure.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33385 on: March 03, 2014, 04:46:56 am »

Started over again because I couldn't iragate my farms and I had no place(square) down to install(settle) the plumbing.  :-\

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33386 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:14 am »

I have built a cistern to hold water from the river that freezes in the winter. For some reason, the well house I build over it on the surface make a spike of ice from the tile the well was on, all the way to the bottom of the cistern; destroying the well in the process.

Water in any tile that's listed as "aboveground" will freeze if it gets cold enough. It doesn't matter if there's open sky or a roof above. The "aboveground" flag propagates downwards until it meets unbroken natural rock and cannot be removed. If you don't want spontaneous cistern refills/floodings, you must put all your plumbing after the main intake doors/floodgates underground.

(If you ever embark in a glacier, all tiles in the ice are still cold enough to freeze water on touch; you must dig down into stone to keep water liquid.)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33387 on: March 03, 2014, 05:19:26 am »

FB Silk Farm setup: Check.
Repeater for bridges: Check.
Dog surviving constant assault by webs: Check.

Woooot.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33388 on: March 03, 2014, 09:13:49 am »

I had a Beast show up just yesterday and it finally found a way into the Fortress (my fault, I kept digging down looking for magma and broke into it's cavern). 

This is the first time I have ever had one GET into my Fortress.

The Forgotten Beast Amomu Cewi Covace.  It was a huge scaly mite, with a pair of knobby antennae, a body that "undulates rhythmically" and it had gray scales which were jagged and close-set.  Oh, and deadly spittle.  Sounds dangerous but when it attacked some citizens, a Fishermen Dwarf acting like a miner and his kid, they escaped totally untouched.

When my warrior Dwarfs attacked it the thing went down like a chopped down tree.  A few Dwarfs had some light wounds and it turned out the "deadly" spittle was frozen acid which the warriors would either dodge or just knock out of the air, like the stuff was snowballs or something.  A Hammerdwarf was credited with the kill and I give it the nickname 'BeastKiller'.  Now I have two Dwarfs with nicknames (the other was credited for killing a Minotaur).

To be honest I was kind of surprised.  It is one thing for my Dwarfs to swarm and kill a Minotaur or to kill a small group of Goblins but I thought a Forgotten Beast would put up more of a fight.   ???

One poor Dwarf was selected to carry the body all the way back to the surface to be dumped.  I think he gave up at one point (to go drink or eat or something...Guild rules you know) and somebody else took over.

Kind of sad...we never think of the aftermath and the poor, poor Dwarfs who have to clean up the mess.   :(

The cavern has been sealed up, though I did put a door in the walls, so I can access it again if need be.  Dogs, doors, and traps fill the tunnels to it, so I will be alerted if anything else tries to break in. 

I assume Forgotten Beasts are not always so.....disappointing?  They don't even make engravings about the event!

Funny enough, after this I found warm stone.  After carefully digging about, like I was playing mine sweeper, I found the magma and set up my first magma forge of the Fortress.  And only the second one I have ever set up (the first was a failed Fortress I put in the side of a volcano).

I am kind of excited about that.   8)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33389 on: March 03, 2014, 09:49:29 am »

Spring of Year two. Zombie siege. A couple got caught outside. The wife was a veteran of Tin Fingers. She died. Her husband is now running about, I think he's going to die of dehydration.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 2224 2225 [2226] 2227 2228 ... 3842