Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2221 2222 [2223] 2224 2225 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096362 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33330 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »

Safely through the first wave. However, two more crazy dwarves will soon die of dehydration. The first has a friends list as long as my arm, and the second is a little lesser known but still fairly popular. Everyone's still recovering from the first near-fatal spiral and I have no idea, as Armok is my witness, what I can do to stop this from sending everyone into misery, further tantrums, and apocalypse-level destruction of all that my fort holds dear.

...anyone have any ideas?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33331 on: February 28, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »

Have you enabled the plants for brewing in the kitchen menu?

Everything except pig tails. It's been that way for years.

... And whaddya know, they're off and running again. What the hell, dwarves?

Oop, nope, they're complaining of not having distillable items again when I have 336 plump helmets, 299 cave wheat, 98 sweet pods, 396 prickle berries, 286 wild strawberries, 630 Longland grass, 16 rat weed, 49 fisher berries, and 611 sun berries. And I read that off the kitchen menu and they're all set to be brewable.

Stockpile links to the brewery? Stray stockpile outside the burrow? Absurdly long hauling distances between farm and plant stockpiles (very implausible)? Path between stockpile and still outside of burrow?

I'd be tempted at this point to just yank all burrows out and re-designate, along with half the stockpiles. If brewers complain of lack of distillable items at 2000+ brew-enabled plants, there's something seriously amiss.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33332 on: February 28, 2014, 04:36:48 pm »

Spring of 101: Bugbed, the Deep Fort

Today, I decided I'd take a different approach: Instead of building my fortress in the shallow stone, I'd build near the magma lakes.
After the initial dirt cavern was built, I had the miners dig deep. About a week later, they hit the first cavern. A month after that, they ran through the second, and seemingly final, cavern. Unfortunately, soon after that, giant roaches came up out of the first one and mauled our stonecrafter and our weapon/armour smith. Not the best start, but I soon walled off that cavern. Finally, in the last month of spring, the miners found the magma lakes. Throughout the summer, a fort fit for dwarves was dug. I can't wait to see how this fares.
(I'm using masterwork, by the way.)
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33333 on: February 28, 2014, 05:02:53 pm »

I have officially dug too deep. just as planned. Most of the demons were made of disappointingly weak materials like steam or snow, but there were a lot of them.

my plan was to lock them in the first corridor, where I'll poke them all with upright spikes, then move them to the second chamber, where i got goblins to kill them, then to the third chamber, where I have webbed cage traps ready. If all else fails, then I have a furniture bridge trap for the remaining demons.

Part one was successful and I got the demon population down by 60%. I did not expect the bursts of flame to destroy some of the traps, but they did.

Part two was a massive failure. apparently goblins from previous sieges would rather run away than fight. most of them were slaughtered by a combination of pushes, webs and fire.

Part three was also successful, but poor placing meant that the marksdwarf goblins were connected to corridor 3 via a door, which they could destroy. The demons actually managed to kick some of the goblins through the fortifications to the other side of the wall, which i didn't know can happen. there were still a few demons with webbing, which can't be trapped by webbed cage traps.

Overall the demon siege will soon be over. there will be a lot of captives and lots of fun.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33334 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:27 pm »

Have you enabled the plants for brewing in the kitchen menu?

Everything except pig tails. It's been that way for years.

... And whaddya know, they're off and running again. What the hell, dwarves?

Oop, nope, they're complaining of not having distillable items again when I have 336 plump helmets, 299 cave wheat, 98 sweet pods, 396 prickle berries, 286 wild strawberries, 630 Longland grass, 16 rat weed, 49 fisher berries, and 611 sun berries. And I read that off the kitchen menu and they're all set to be brewable.

Stockpile links to the brewery? Stray stockpile outside the burrow? Absurdly long hauling distances between farm and plant stockpiles (very implausible)? Path between stockpile and still outside of burrow?

I'd be tempted at this point to just yank all burrows out and re-designate, along with half the stockpiles. If brewers complain of lack of distillable items at 2000+ brew-enabled plants, there's something seriously amiss.

1. Nope

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Nope

5. ... I'll try that. The burrow thing, anyway; the stockpiles would be just too much fiddling around.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33335 on: February 28, 2014, 06:17:36 pm »

Safely through the first wave. However, two more crazy dwarves will soon die of dehydration. The first has a friends list as long as my arm, and the second is a little lesser known but still fairly popular. Everyone's still recovering from the first near-fatal spiral and I have no idea, as Armok is my witness, what I can do to stop this from sending everyone into misery, further tantrums, and apocalypse-level destruction of all that my fort holds dear.

...anyone have any ideas?

Try making the only available meeting hall an area with lots and lots of rooms that can be locked, such as bedrooms, and when the nutjobs run into one of them, lock the door behind them. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but hopefully they'll just go missing until the remaining population is in a good enough mood to deal with their deaths.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33336 on: February 28, 2014, 09:00:30 pm »

I have two "Steppe Auroch Cow Wool" corpses that I can't loom. What the fuck do I do with them? They're in a cycle of reanimation and being beaten to death.
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33337 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »

I have two "Steppe Auroch Cow Wool" corpses that I can't loom. What the fuck do I do with them? They're in a cycle of reanimation and being beaten to death.

I believe wool has to be spun into thread at a farmer's workshop before you can weave it at a loom.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33338 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »

I believe wool has to be spun into thread at a farmer's workshop before you can weave it at a loom.

Derp. I completely forgot that there's a middleman. Thanks for the help, though. Now I can actually get some work done!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33339 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »

A miracle! The humans sent another diplomat after three sieges!

Well, it was a bit of a silly situation: first came some demon who claimed to be a human diplomat and deity, but the dwarfs of course saw through this flimsy disguise and spiked the ugly thing to bits. The humans didn't take it well, but sent a diplomat to smooth things over after a siege ended up spectacularly unsuccessful (swallowed by the ground). The diplomat got everything sorted, treaty signed - and then tried to leave through the active atomsmasher. Didn't work. The humans were understandably miffed and sent two more sieges.

This time, the diplomat got in, held negotiations, signed another peace treaty and finally got out in one piece. Only cost me a war dog and a planter's right foot - goddamn kobolds sneaking in through the diplomat passage. The second tried to flee through the atomsmasher and ended up deservedly flat. The planter is staggering around rather slowly right now, but i guess she'll get better at using her crutch over time. And since she has a blood spatter on her missing right foot, she's guaranteed to get regular happiness from soapy baths.

The composed-from-ice forgotten beast for some reason cannot path into the percussion channel; it's stuck moving back and forth in the cavern lake. I built a goblin exploder to hopefully pull it in, but of course, forgotten beasts are a bit too big to explode like this, and i can't re-set the crusher, because it hovers too close to the entrance of it. But the design seems to re-cycle its carts in a more reliable fashion, so _might_ be decent against goblins, main problem as usual will be keeping my beards out of it.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33340 on: March 01, 2014, 04:44:54 am »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33341 on: March 01, 2014, 05:44:13 am »

Looks perfectly fine to me.
Looks perfectly fine to me.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33342 on: March 01, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »

City Laborfords, Early Autumn 240; 181 dwarves, 1 tantrum spiral, 1 current berserker, 2 fatalities, 2 dwarves resting

Happiness meter: 6/4/10/8/48/50/55

Gehehehehehe. I dumped too many clothes too indiscriminately and now my dwarves are pissed. This is so much fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

One dwarf got very, very banged up. Little Kogsak Utteredinks would have been fine if she'd stayed in her burrow, but instead she's... well... she's not dead yet, and that's really all there is to say on the matter. She's in better condition than she was, though if she survives she'll have to crawl around because the first berserker tore apart her lower spine's nervous tissue. We really need wheelchairs.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33343 on: March 01, 2014, 02:19:57 pm »

the waves of hell has been vanquished. The main problem now is cleanup. there are a lot of dwarves trapped in cages. In my webbed trapping/silk farm chamber. collection of adamantine has been delayed in order to get the dwarves out of cages before they starve to death.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33344 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:37 pm »

City Laborfords, Mid-Autumn 240; 180 dwarves, 1 tantrum spiral, 4 fatalities (I miscounted and last post should be 3), 2 dwarves restng

Happiness meter: 5/7/9/15/49/47/48

Little Kogsak's injuries. The worse-looking one is earlier, when I wasn't sure she'd survive and so wanted the injuries for posterity; the second one is shortly after she was placed in her bed. She's currently in surgery. And, horror of horrors, her liver is fractured.

The death that I forgot to account for was a tantrum-induced murder; Imush Abyssink caved in Thikut Utteredinks I's skull. How fun.

Pages: 1 ... 2221 2222 [2223] 2224 2225 ... 3842