Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2220 2221 [2222] 2223 2224 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096236 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33315 on: February 27, 2014, 11:57:14 pm »

What actually appears to be the problem is that they're not recognizing a lot of the plants as available for being distilled.
Burrows?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33316 on: February 28, 2014, 12:01:22 am »

Trying to figure out exactly how I want my fort idea to come to fruition.

Embarked on a natural cave that goes all the way to the first cavern, ending in a lake. A pillar of stone juts up from the otherwise flat plain, and a creek runs by in the south. A clown fort lies down in the third cavern.

Above ground, so far, the rocky outcrop has been surrounded by a wall and a pair of raising bridges, to turtle up when the nearby necromancers decide to stop in for a cup of sugar. The southern face has been carved into a sheer cliff face, and a tunnel will be cut into that for the main entrance. Im just but sure exactly what I want to do with this place besides this yet, so for now I'm waiting for inspiration.

If you've got a solid layer stone near the surface you could try digging the surrounding area down and carving out a circular fort. I did that once with a dolomite mountain. Had a grass top and central courtyard.

Right now I have a christmas colored rocky wasteland with chert and clay. Busy digging out random rooms and tunnels for my upper layer fort. Trying to make it all twisty and such. I'm gonna carve everything out of the marble layer eventually.   
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33317 on: February 28, 2014, 12:08:49 am »

If I capture wild animal men and women, and put the same species in a room, will they reproduce? If so, I will have to start some sort of breeding program... Just for lulz.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33318 on: February 28, 2014, 12:13:36 am »

What actually appears to be the problem is that they're not recognizing a lot of the plants as available for being distilled.
Burrows?
Aghbrlblarglstillcantfigurethatstuffout.
Yes, excellent suggestion. Lielac, I think you should follow this man/woman's advice and check if the plants are outside a burrow, I assume you're a more experienced player than me who uses these things.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33319 on: February 28, 2014, 12:22:19 am »

I settled near some dark towers, inhabited by goblin filth. We dug into the nearby hills, and are mining out as much marble as possible. The idea? An above ground settlement, walled off with a moat, and a large white marble tower standing in defiance of the goblins.

What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33320 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:41 am »

Mine... Will not be quite that fancy >.>

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33321 on: February 28, 2014, 02:07:31 am »

Burrows?
Aghbrlblarglstillcantfigurethatstuffout.
Yes, excellent suggestion. Lielac, I think you should follow this man/woman's advice and check if the plants are outside a burrow, I assume you're a more experienced player than me who uses these things.

They're outside a burrow, which doesn't contain stills or plant matter. The only stockpiles that take plants of any kind are solidly inside the overall "keep your asses inside" burrow, as are all the stills; the other burrow is the one I confine children to and is restrained to a single dug-out magnetite cluster with two stockpiles: one that takes meat, fish, cheese, and prepared meals; the other, booze.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33322 on: February 28, 2014, 03:16:04 am »

Have you enabled the plants for brewing in the kitchen menu?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33323 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:49 am »

I think I screwed up a burrow.  I am building an actual castle on top of the fortress, including extensive fortifications for my marksdwarf squadron.  There is a raised entrance with a drawbridge, a couple of towers to protect it, and a keep.  The keep is the home of the Captain of the Guard, and includes a barracks and eating hall.  Ammo storage is in the basement.

Goblin attacks have killed off two elf caravans, and driven off the last dwarf caravan.  Annoying, really--I need to activate the military as soon as a caravan turns up.

I recently had a siege.  I set up a burrow, and brought all of my civilians inside.  I activated the military, with one squad of marksdwarves in each of the front towers.  It was a large-ish siege, with about thirty or forty trolls and goblins.  I peppered the approaching goblins squads, and placed my military near the trade depot inside the walls of the castle.  I gave the order to pull the lever to raise the drawbridge.  Then I realized that the melee squads were rushing the goblins.  Fortunately, the drawbridge did not raise.  Unfortunately, that is because I accidentally opened the secondary entrance. 

At this point, my dwarves swarmed out to collect the goblinite booty.  Panicking that I was about to lose a large portion of my population, I unleashed the melee fighters on the goblins, and re-positioned the marksdwarves to take potshots.  Fortunately, the goblins were quickly driven off, with maybe five goblins escaping.

End result--about thirty trolls and goblins killed, with the loss of one marksdwarf and seven civillians.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33324 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:06 am »

A cyclops that killed one of my dwarves by flinging her across the map until her head brushed the ground and exploded earned himself the nickname "Steel of Flight."

Heh.

And, in other news, I have a mother in jail crying for her baby who was killed several years ago by a lasher. 'Infant Inaccessible' - because the tot's DEAD, you nincompoop.

*sigh*
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:33:30 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33325 on: February 28, 2014, 11:37:24 am »

I was offered a barony, and of course the hunter was chosen. He's impressed his fellow dwarfs quite a bit by his ability to slaughter rhinoceroi and elephants with +armadillo bone bolts+
He's still bringing in meat, but his happiness management is a bit suspect, since he keeps sleeping outside. At least he can be made happy by producing bolts.

After a false start, my uplifted dogs are now looking in good shape to eventually take over the position of mayor (not enough dwarfs, but we're working on it). They regularly need to take naps, which suggests their "CAN_LEARN" and "CAN_SPEAK" tags give them proper sentience. They're still treated as pets, but now they get automatically assigned to the corpse, not the garbage stockpile and don't need to be adopted to be buried in pet-enabled coffins. I gave them NO_EAT and NO_DRINK, to ease maintenance of a 30-dog community. They still need to sleep, but won't use beds. I caged a bunch of them pre-uplift and forgot that lack of sleep can have consequences, so they all went crazy after half a year. Oops. Now i have a cage with five each berserk, melancholic and babbling "stray goblins". This could actually be used to weaponise animals that cannot be trained for war - mod them to be sentient, without the need to eat or drink, but with the need to sleep, cage them, wait for them to snap. Unless lack of sleep can directly kill eventually?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33326 on: February 28, 2014, 12:27:46 pm »

Carnagemines is tantrum spiraling. Two of the fort's three cripples - vampires who cannot breathe or put on clothes - finally died of dehydration within two or three months of each other, in the middle of a siege and trading with the humans. Things are really bad right now. I have somewhere over forty dwarves unhappy, two miserable. Everyone's rushing to report some crime that I don't understand yet. A child went stark raving mad, and there's another kid trying to start a fist fight with the humans.

If Carnagemines comes through this alive, it'll be a miracle... I'm messing with burrows to try to get all the unhappy dwarves to stick around in the booze stockpile and mist zones, so maybe that'll help, but until it starts working, this whole place is balanced on a knife edge...

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33327 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »

Doomedprison fortress is in its late autumn of year 2 of its existence. Nothing grand nothing special, they live in world where dwarfs and goblins live very close together and fight for territories.

Last 30 years of history were just dwarfs sending massive armies to crush goblins.
And this fortress was estabilished as crossroad and outpost between goblins and dwarfs, everything was going good...

Until when caravan from moutainhomes arrived wave of 20 goblin archers was spoted, luckily only 3 farmers were outside and guard when not couting caravan. Almost every caravan member was struck by 5-10 bolts and instakilled, it was like arrow rain. I ordered everyone to quickly get in fortress, lock doors and put guard there. I was excepting the worst, but seems like goblins just wanted to show that they are ready and not afraid, because they leaved as soon as they slaughtered 80% of caravan members.

This is my 9th game and lucky bastards those merchants which ran away to woods.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33328 on: February 28, 2014, 01:06:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This was my biggest fort. Also the only one that did not die by FPS after 100 dwarves: design really matters, it seems!
The whole game was about seeing how much dorfs could I handle to have everyone busy with some useful stuff: and it kind of worked til the children started to grow up.. :D
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33329 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:39 pm »

Have you enabled the plants for brewing in the kitchen menu?

Everything except pig tails. It's been that way for years.

... And whaddya know, they're off and running again. What the hell, dwarves?

Oop, nope, they're complaining of not having distillable items again when I have 336 plump helmets, 299 cave wheat, 98 sweet pods, 396 prickle berries, 286 wild strawberries, 630 Longland grass, 16 rat weed, 49 fisher berries, and 611 sun berries. And I read that off the kitchen menu and they're all set to be brewable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:55:52 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2220 2221 [2222] 2223 2224 ... 3842